Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: my own (a mix)
Stats: 180/177.5/150
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question 4th day..still exhausted..normal????

This is my 4th day of my new low carb diet (or as I try to call it, lifestyle). I have managed to get by with fewer withdrawl symptoms than I expected-cravings are at a minimum, and I am never hungry. However, I've been really tired. It's generally the same throughout the day, but sometimes I have to put my head on my desk for a few minutes or as long as possible. I read that eating a lot of fat can help with tiredness, but I already do eat a lot of it. Here is an example of a typical day, if that helps:

Breakfast-2 eggs and a sausage patty

Lunch-raw veggies with cheese spread, Atkins bar

Dinner-1/3 carb, 1/3 veggie, 1/3 protein (I am on the Heller plan)

What I want to know is, is this extreme fatigue normal, and how long will it last? I know everyone is different, but it would help me put things in perspective if some of you could let me know how long it lasted for you. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:02
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Day five was really rough for me, I was so dizzy. But day six was my magic day and I have felt great ever since.

All the best to you....
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:13

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I can only tell you from experience tht by Day 3 I was energized. Are you getting adequate protein? I know that I must keep my proteins at 80 grams a day or I get weak...and if you exercise vigorously you definitely need more protein.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Singer!

Yes, it's perfectly normal to feel cruddy for the first week or so. It's a big adjustment for your body to go from using sugar for energy to using fat and it's letting you know that it's not happy about it (at least not right now). On the other hand, here are a couple of other things to check as well: first, are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can make you feel tired and lethargic. You should be drinking at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day (tea, coffee and diet pop do not count). Second, are you taking any supplements? Low potassium can also make you feel tired and achy and supplementing with one or two 99 mg. tablets daily can help, but check with your doctor or pharmacist first if you are taking any medications for blood pressure or diuretics; some can make you retain potassium so taking more could be dangerous.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:23

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

In short, yes - it's normal. Some people get through the rough part in two days, some take longer - a week or so.

That being said, here's what to do:

1) Make sure you are getting enough calories. CAD doesn't ask you to count calories, and sometimes people can get too low-cal without being aware of it. Eat more, just make sure it's legal stuff for your plan.

2) Have a low-carb snack, especially if the tiredness tends to hit at a certain point in the day. CAD does permit you a snack in addition to your meals.

3) Make sure you're getting enough water. Dehydration causes fatigue. Not coffee, not soda - water.

4) Hang tough and know that it WILL pass.

Cheers,

Friday
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: my own (a mix)
Stats: 180/177.5/150
BF:
Progress: 8%

Thanks all!!!

Drinking more water is an ongoing process for me. When I was younger all I would drink was pop, but now all I drink is water. I still don't reach the 8 glasses a day minimum although I'm getting better. I do take a supplement, but it does not have potassium. I will definately try that.