Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 11:53

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Default it's the food - toronto sun

Good article today, Nov 7/02. It's the food, stupid.

Toronto sun
click on It's the food- on the left side.

nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:11

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Why we're fat: It's the food, stupid

Here is the complete article, you can find the link here

By LINDA WILLIAMSON -- Toronto Sun

Step away from the bagel. Dump the sugary soft drink and fries. There, I've just saved the feds about $15 million.

And most people I know could do the same - because just about everyone I know has been on some sort of diet or another. Our heads (if not our bellies) are stuffed with the latest nutritional wisdom on what makes us fat.

Why, we wonder, should the feds blow another $15 million on studying the blatantly obvious? It's the food, stupid.

Yes, the federal funding announced last week is earmarked to tackle a very serious health problem - obesity. It's no laughing matter. Too many Canadians are overweight, our kids tragically so. We're now seeing very young children developing diseases that were once only found in adults, like Type 2 diabetes, heart attacks and hardening of the arteries.

So news that someone in Ottawa is finally waking up to this deadly problem is welcome. Trouble is, like all government initiatives, this one should be taken with more than a few grains of blood-pressure-elevating salt.

WE ALREADY KNOW

After all, what are the feds going to find out for their $15 million that we - and the multi-billion-dollar diet and fitness industry - don't already know? We're a culture raised on junk food. We don't eat enough healthy foods; we barely even cook anymore. We snack endlessly and we don't exercise.

If the feds are serious about pursuing this issue, let them at least start from there. We have a good idea why we're fat - the question is, what are we going to do about it?

Here's another free hint: the old thinking - i.e., fat is bad - is passe. Just ask a nation of followers of Suzanne Somers, Michel Montignac, The Zone, Protein Power Plan, Sugar Busters and, the guy who started it all, Dr. Robert Atkins.

More and more researchers - along with those of us who have done our own, shall we say, in-home testing - are finding that it's not so much fat, but processed carbohydrates that make us fat. As journalist Gary Taubes stressed in a stunning New York Times Magazine piece this past summer ("What if it's all been a big fat lie?" July 7), obesity and cholesterol levels across North American have skyrocketed since fat was identified as Public Enemy No. 1 two decades ago. Told to curb our fat intake, we have gorged on sugary soft drinks, pasta, etc., and we're now fatter than ever.

Check out Web sites for any of the above regimes (some of which, I'd warn, are more sensible than others) and you'll find thousands of testimonials to the new wisdom. Sugar is evil. Processed food sucks. Protein rules. Fat is our friend.

Today's nutritional science increasingly points to the link between high-glycemic foods (that is, those that spike blood-sugar levels, such as sugar or white bread) and body fat. And while debate still rages over some theories of Atkins et al. (his view that butter and red meat are actually good for you is still a bit extreme for many), there's more scientific consensus on this than, say, the Kyoto accord.

Yet official Ottawa still offers us the old standby, Canada's Food Guide, with its recommendation of 5-12 servings of grains per day, and just 2-3 of meat/protein - a ratio that more than one low-carb Internet site describes as identical to the formula farmers use to fatten up livestock.

Now, I'm not discounting the Food Guide, which does stress we should choose "whole grains, more often." But it does little to warn against, say, too much sugar. It needs a serious update.

'LIGHTER' CHOICES

And, as anyone who's tried to do it knows, even choosing whole grains isn't as simple as it sounds. Take, just as an example, the "Whole Wheat Chicken McGrill," part of the new "Lighter Choices" menu at McDonald's. As the company's Web site shows, the "whole wheat" bun isn't actually made from whole wheat flour, but rather: "Enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, reduced iron), water, wheat bran, sugar, yeast, canola oil, dough conditioner (calcium sulfate, calcium peroxide, sodium stearoyl lactylate), wheat gluten, salt, calcium propionate, caramel colour, corn meal." Better than a white bun, maybe, and all pretty standard ingredients, but hardly what I'd call health food. (Plus, even the chicken contains sugar.)

It doesn't take a food scientist - or $15 million - to see how our eating habits could be healthier. Less processed junk; more fresh fruit and vegetables, true whole grains and high-quality protein. Stay away from high-sugar, high-carb, high-fat and deep-fried everything (except for rare treats).

As for the $15 million, it could be put to better use. Like, maybe, a tax-incentive fund for companies willing to develop good, convenient, affordable food that's not laced with sugar, starch, fat and an additive list as long as your arm.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 14:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

Perhaps that $15 million could be put into developing and implementing a mandatory class for high school students on healthy eating *and cooking*. It seems like nobody cooks anymore, and that relying on convenience and fast food is the root of the problem.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:52

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Not at bad idea except that the healthy eating classes would focus on the Food Pyramid, low-fat high carb.

I agree with you that no one cooks anymore, and that it's a large part of the problem nowadays. But that's not likely to ever change back to what it used to be. People want everything to be done fast fast fast with a minimum of fuss. And that includes cooking. If that wasn't the case, no one would buy convenience food. It's a market, so it's exploited

What is really lacking are GOOD convience food. Forget fast food.....it's just a fat trap, and probably 33% ff not more of the obesity problem today. We need good fast food. Healthy unprocessed fast food. Maybe that's an oxymoron, I don't know. But I really miss the convenience of the fast carb-heavy meals that used to get me through the day.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 16:00

BF:

A couple of years ago I sent letters to Lean Cuisine, and a couple of other companies that produce frozen TV dinners, asking that they come out with a low-carb/high protein line. Maybe we should get a group effort to stimulate them! I wouldn't want to eat TV dinners all the time, but it would be nice to have that as an option!

As for the education issue, you're right. They would just teach the old, failed, pyramid. So, maybe yet another expensive study is needed. Perhaps someday one will be done that will support the low-carb plans, and we can turn that pyramid upside down!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Not everyone has turned to convenience foods. I know I see a lot of Lean Cuisine frozen meals at the office, not to mention, Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's and Arby's bags at lunctime (how people can afford to eat at fast food places every day is beyond me), but some of us still actually cook a decent meal at least once a day (at our house, twice; breakfast and dinner and I have leftovers for lunch).
As a way to cut our grocery bill, I stopped buying a lot of convenience foods several years ago and started making more things from scratch like cookies and pizza, etc...
We eat out maybe two or three times a month at the most.
Still...I think it's good for kids to grow up knowing how to at least cook a basic meal...both boys and girls, but whose responsibility is it to teach them...the schools or their parents? When I was growing up, my friend's family all took turns cooking dinner (when they were teens, of course) at least one night a week and I cooked my first complete Thanksgiving dinner when I was 13. Of course, if the parents can't cook, that presents a problem.
My 7 and 8 year old daughters can already operate the microwave to make oatmeal for breakfast as well as measure the correct amounts of oatmeal and water to do so, crack eggs and make their own lunches. I still have to supervise the lunch making or they would have all chips and no healthy foods, but we're working on that. I'm looking forward to the day when they can cook dinner instead of me.

Last edited by Lisa N : Thu, Nov-07-02 at 17:41.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:41

BF:

Lisa N,

Exactly....who is teaching the kids about food and cooking (or lack thereof)....the parents, who are not necessarily setting a good example (purely speaking for myself--pre-Atkins). I'm just speculating on how this vicious cycle can be broken.

I've got a question about kids and low-carbing...but that will be another thread. I look forward to seeing your response.

Tami