Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 08:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/260/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default The importance of veggies?

I was trying to put together a menu for myself to eat and I dont think the book touched on the importance of eating veggies and if it did I missed it

Is it important for me to eat veggies and to keep my carbs closer to 20 or can I skimp on eating all those carbs and just taking vitamins and some kind of fiber supplement? (I'm not much of a veggies guy)

I saw that some of you take a fiber supp and the name of it escapes me but I can do a search on it. But, how many of you take vitamins and what kind? Would a multi-vitamin just be fine or should I take specific vitamins?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 09:42

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

There is a general opinion on this board that eating veggies is an essential aspect to low-carb. Of course, a lot of us looooove veggies, especially now that we don't feel guilty eating them with lots of butter, oil, and dressing.

If you prefer not to eat a lot of veggies, you may find your menu limited and boring. I think I would, anyway. Perhaps you could experiment with all the different ways to cook veggies paired with fats and you'll find something that strikes you.

I'd recommend at the very least a multivitamin. Your body needs the vitamins, especially if you're not much of a veggie lover. Any old multi without iron should do, but if you want to get fancy Atkins makes vitamins tailored to low-carb diets. I take Basic #3 and also Essential Oils, because I don't really eat fish and want those fatty acids.

You may also experience a rapid loss in electrolytes and many people find that potassiam, calcium, and magnesium will alleviate symptoms such as muscle cramping associated with this.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:32

Stats: 260/260/160
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the info Skamito

I am sure I will find something to eat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:56

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

The fiber supplement that I beleive that you are referring to is psyllium husk powder/capsules. But I agree that you need to get some of the phytochemicals (sp?) from vegatables, but you still may need a fiber supplement (I do)

Any multivitamin is a good thing - I look for one without Iron.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 20:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi! I'm a former anti-veggite. I have learned to really like them. You just have to experiment. Try some you haven't tried before, try cooking them a different way, or when all else fails, drown them with dressings. I'll eat just about any veggie now - even when I don't care for them - if they've got some greek dressing and feta cheese, for example.

One thing I try to do is "sneak" the veggies in where I might not normally have had them. For example, instead of my usual scrambled eggs, I have a tomato/mushroom omlette with cheese. It's even better than the plain scrambled eggs.

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 22:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I love vegetables when somebody else cooks them! It's taken me awhile to get used to cooking them myself. I grew up with boiled to death vegetables, and then went through years of not eating them because I hate them without butter, but thought I couldn't have butter.

One quick Atkins meal for me -- a good break from meat -- has always been to take a zucchini, slice it in very thin slices, fry it in butter, cover it with shredded mozzarella cheese, put a lid on it and cook until the cheese is one gooey delicious mess

The Eades, in Protein Power, talk more about vegetables than Atkins, and suggests a higher fiber intake than Atkins does. But even on 20 grams of carbs, if you add it up, that's a lot of broccoli and cabbage
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 09:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with everyone above. There are a lot of nutrients and phytochemicals that you simply can't get in pill form or if you can aren't nearly as good as those found in veggies.
Experiment with different veggies; it doesn't have to be all salads. Hey...even my kids will eat spinach when I cook it with bacon and onions and sprinkle it with parmesan cheese!
I've turned a few brussels sprouts haters into brussels sprouts lovers with bacon, onions and cheese sauce and who could not like broccoli with cheese sauce or green beans almondine with lots of butter?
But please....don't cook your veggies to mush. No veggie deserves such a horrible fate.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Fortunately, I love almost all veggies and hate almost all fruits. As to how veggies,are cooked, I think that in the southern part of the U.S. folks tend to cook their veggies longer than folks do in the northern part of the U.S.

I have also noticed that most veggies have pretty high fiber counts so many of them calculate out to about 2 carb grams a serving, which I think is a real bagain!
asugar