Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 06:22

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Unhappy Weight Gain All Of A Sudden - Why!!

I was at my signature last Weds - 167. Then moderated to 168 up until Monday when I shot up to a whopping 172! How can I have gained 4 lbs without any cheats, keeping calories/carbs/proteins within moderation and I even lessened sodium to miniscule! What the hell is going on! No, its not TOM, Im not on any medication either.

This is very very frustrating and very depressing. Especially since I can't pinpoint the reasoning. Now I have to work extra hard to lose those 4 lbs and then some....

I feel this is an endless battle that I just can't get ahead..

Anyone have any theories? Anyone experience this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 06:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Yvonne,

Commiserations! It's so frustrating at times when you are doing the right thing and something like this happens.

It has to be fluid retention - you would not have gained 4 pounds of fat unless you suddenly began eating enormous amounts. But why?

Firstly, what are you eating? You don't have a journal here, how about listing what you are eating at the moment - either here or by starting a journal.
The only other thing I can think of is water intake. Are you drinking plenty? It's strange but sometimes drinking insufficient amounts of water can make the body "hang on" to whatever it can. It always strikes me as odd, but the best way to lose retained water is to drink more. I can tell you from personal experience that it helps!

All the best, matey, I hope you lose that excess soon.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 07:46

Stats: 185/168/145
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default I had something similar happen to me...

I was eating the "same thing" as usual, too, when it happened. The only thing is that I had added some wheat bran to my flaxseed cereal to improve the texture. Big mistake. I found out the hard way that I have either a wheat allergy or intolerance. Think carefully about any changes in your diet you may have made. I agree with Rosebud that it must be water retention to have happened so suddenly. Hope you are able to figure out what is causing it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 08:58
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I gain weight for no reason. I can weigh 140 one day and 146 two days later . I agree that it is very frustrating. I agree....fluid retention. It is the only logical answer. I've always had a problem with my face and fingers swelling. Although I'm not "feeling" the swelling lately it doesn't mean I'm not retaining my water (just read my scale). All I can do is watch my salt/sodium intake as best as possible. Increasing my water intake would help but it's easier said than done with me.

hang in there...
cin
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 09:24

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Another often overlooked reason for seeming to gain weight overnight is the fact that
bathroom scales are hideously inaccurate!

Those things are ALL stamped "Not legal for trade" somewhere because they cannot be trusted. So don't get hung up on a difference of a couple of pounds from one day to the next. It could just be the way you stepped onto the scale: faster, harder, slower, more gently, toes on the frame or not.

If your weight is different from one Monday to the next, then begin to think that maybe you might think that you have gained or lost. But as Nat has often said, the way your clothes fit (the famous Pant-o-meter) is a FAR better gauge of how you are doing.

#6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 09:31
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I've never thought that my scale would be off from one day to the next. I have always looked at my scale as some kind of a God!

GOOOOOOOOD Point!

cin
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 09:55

BF:

Well, I started a Journal on the Journal forum if anyone wants to take a peak but I really don't think I am doing anything wrong. The only thing I did not do over the last 5 days was exercise because I have been feeling a bit dizzy and congested (allergies). Perhaps I did not get enough water yesterday...maybe now that the weather has gotten colder I need to up my water (because drying out) so that is my goal to up the water.

Thanks for all your responses

By the way....Whenever I get on the scale I move it around the bathroom and step on it 3-4x (for fluctuations)...well I did this today and it read the same in all areas

Also...been feeling cold when I was always one that was hot ... has my metabolism slowed down? I hope not.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 11:43

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi Yvonne,

I have use of a state certified scale (legal for trade). I get fluctuations from day to day. I weigh in the morning before any water or food intake. I blame it mostly on salty foods eaten the previous day (ham, cheese, bacon, etc.). I'm 2 lbs heavier yesterday and today than I was Saturday.

Guess I'm going to drink more water and hope I don't miss any of the exciting election returns while in the bathroom.

Cheers!

BrewWa
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 15:56

BF:

I definitely think now that it was not enough water last few days that caused this gain - I am like a sponge...holding onto every drop of water I consume. Today, I decided to start drinking water early and thus have consumed 64 oz already (4:30 pm) and am going to the BR like every 1/2 hour. I was not doing this last few days.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 16:41

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

About those scales:

When they show a loss, they are ALWAYS correct, but sometimes they err and show too much....

At least mine works that way, for sure.....
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 166/162/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Could it be that you gained some muscle from exercising? I know that made a difference in my scale - but I continued to drop inches in my clothing.

PJ
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 17:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yvonne, I posted a few thoughts on this in your journal this morning after reading this post and another one on skipping meals.

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 09:34

BF:

Today is my 7 moth LC-aniversary! What a journey it has and continues to be!

OK...I know my problems...water intake is the biggest and not eating a "proper" breakfast... most of this is due to my seasonal allergies and the medication I am on...I know this. So I have begun to take steps to give my body more water and to make sure I eat a good breakfast.

Natrushka - thank you.

Down to 169 this morning so 2 lbs of water still left to shed...hope to shed this by tomorrow a.m. I posted on my journal my menu and activities.

Have a good day everyone.