Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 16:49

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%
Default How many carbs do you maintainers eat daily?

I am just wondering how many carbs do people eat daily when they reach maintenance. Also, after veggies which carbs do you use the most?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 17:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Scarelt, I'm pretty sure the numbers will vary with each individual - the more active and the less IR the person, the higher the number of carbs they will be able to tolerate.

While I'm not in Maintenance yet, I consider myself pre-maintenance material I've increased my carbs with foods like steel cut irish oats, sweet potatoes, 100% whole wheat fajita shells, apples and the odd non LC protein bar. At the outset there was some gas while my body adjusted - but with a little help from beano and about two weeks of time everything is back to normal.

I spent some time pouring over a list of low G.I. foods, picking ones that I could work into my menus and experimenting with some new ones I'd never tried before.

I've been thinking that Schwarzbein and the Zone might be good "Maintenance" reads over the next few months.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 18:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hi Scarlet! Honestly, I haven't really been keeping track lately, but last I checked, it varied widely, from 40-110. It depends on what's going on in my day. On an inactive day, it would be on the low end. If I was eating at a restaurant, it would be higher. I might have croutons on a caesar salad, or barbecue sauce on my wings. Little splurges like that. Of course, there's beer on Saturday nights, too.

...but now that I pretty much have the drill down pat, I don't count anymore. It also might be worth mentioning that I didn't do Atkins, or the build-up-to-maintenence thing.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 17:32

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Anywhere from....

from 20 to about 50 I'd guess. It took me 3 months not to be afraid to get up to that many carbs...silly me. No weight changes. I enjoy life.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 19:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

I'm like Nat, in pre-maintenance, working my carbs up as I get closer to goal. I range anywhere from 30 to 70

What carbs do I choose after veggies...
apples
more berries
higher carb veggies like sweet potatoes, beets, turnip
more veggies...right now in the form of home made soups stuffed full of veggies.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/140
BF:
Progress: 114%
Talking No Clue!

Let me tell you ... the BEST THING about this WOL is that you don't have to count for the rest of your life. Honestly, I have no idea how many carbs I eat in a given day. I know the general carb levels of the foods I eat, and the only foods I put in my mouth are those that I know to be reasonably low in carbs. Past that, I don't keep track.

I joined my mom once on Weight Watchers with those point-thingies. I swear, there was NEVER a time when I wasn't plotting and planning about how to cram some more/better food into my day without 'going over' my points limit. Forget that! Now I just eat what I'm hungry for (luckily for me that does NOT include the high sugar treats that I used to go for!). And BOOM! Still at (a little under) my goal weight and feelin' fine!

Does this make me a bad LC'er? I don't think so. I think it makes me someone who has found an eating strategy she can live with!

Annie
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 23:28

Stats: 150/125/125
BF:

Like many, I don't really count carbs anymore. I reckon I stay between 30-100 depending on the day and how my clothes fit. This is a hard time of year for all of us controlling what we eat. Even on maintenance we are aware of what we eat, and have to remember that just that one cookie can cause a craving.

The best way, IMO, to add carbs is through veggies or other natural foods. I think the processed stuff, even the LC food bars are detrimental. I know when I ate the LC bars, I seemed to be bloated and maybe predisposed to gain a bit?

Keep it natural (easier said than done) and keep it simple. Once you maintain for a while, you learn what your body will tolerate, and what it won't!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 07:38

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Absolutely

I'm right there with you!

If Atkins meant for us to be counting all day - well - heck, we might as well be counting calories instead!

I'm all non-processed - don't count (just know what looks like a low carb meal and what doesn't now)....using my common sense or as I say "My carbin' sense"!!!

I don't dive into fat or spend alot of time in the kitchen contriving the next great low carb thing I can have. I guess I've arrived.
Feeling good.

N
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 04:24
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:

I don't count daily carbs but I make sure what I'm eating through out the day is low carb. If the weight slides a bit, which it rarely does, I put ephasis on tougher workouts and cut carbs very low for a couple days.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 09:28

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:

I'm with those who have counting phobia. I'm also like those who focus on the low carb foods and watch the clothes and scale to see what's going on. I have added pinto beans and garbanzo beans. I missed those more than pasta, bread and sugar. (Call me weird?) I don't eat fake foods, artificial sweetners, or "diet" anything and so far it's working pretty well.

Good luck to all!
Cindy
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 11:17

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

Well I am a little scared to add carbs. See my problem is that I want to add all of the wrong carbs. Icecream is my biggest problem. I never went off induction so I think I need to add 5 grams a day. Is that true?Or do you think I can add 10 grams a day and still be fine?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 11:39

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i have between 30 and 50 depending on my bgs and activity but i don,t count religiously anymore.i know the gi and c-counts of the things i eat now and just stick with what i know works.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 23:02

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

I've been on Maintenance for a couple of months now.

Like most here, I haven't counted carbs either since I've reached goal; and, even during OWL, I was never very meticulous about it either.

Now, I eat anywhere from 80 - 120 carbs. Some days higher, while other's lower. I've found that once I've cut out the breads, pastas, sugars, and all the high carb foods, it's impossible for me to eat higher than 100 carbs with veggies and fruits. Right now, I'm eating so many veggies and fruits--more than I ever have at any point in my life--I don't even need the multi-vitamin since I easily get all the RDA nutrients.

When I do have the occasional treat, I'll use the extra carbs on chocolates or ice cream.

While I haven't counted carbs, I have monitored my weight and haven't gained anything the past few months; if anything, there's been a propensity for me to keep losing weight. I'm down to 150 now, and will probably have to either eat more or add carbs. Not sure which is best, but I guess I'll just flip a coin.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:20

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I am getting around 30-50 carbs a day. Most days I just keep loose track in my head, but every couple of weeks I use fitday for a day, to make sure my estimates are basically correct. I've only been in maintenance for a few weeks so I expect I'll stop doing that at some point.

Besides vegetables, my main sources of carb are:

-fruit! I'm so glad I hit my goal in early summer, it would have been a real hardship to go through a whole summer without peaches, watermelon, cherries, and pineapple.

-whole grains: Finn Crisp crackers, the occasional slice of whole grain bread, and my homemade sugar-free granola (half oats, half nuts & flax seeds, with whey protein powder and da vinci syrup to hold it together)

In restaurants I'm a little more flexible to have a few bites of the rice, eat the sauce even though it might have some thickener in it, etc.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 13:59
Registered Member

Stats: 230/132/119 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/a lot/16%
Progress: 88%

I get out of ketosis and maintain with 2 servings "starchy" carb a day - that means for me 1/3 cup oats or sugar-free cereal in the morning, and for lunch 1 cup cooked beans or sweet potato. I eat other carbs like whole wheat bread or brown rice very rarely, since they do make me slightly hypoglycemic. I feel tired after having them. So that is around 40g starchy carb on top of the 40-60g I get from cottage cheese, veggies, nuts, berries. Oh yeah, I also do the insulin spike with my post workout shake 3x a week when I maintain.

I won't eat yogurt or white carb at all, not because I can't maintain with it, but I am really hypoglycemic and react badly to it. I miss sushi, I am not gonna lie. Fruit is mostly berries, but I will have the occasional loquat, apple, cherry or peach.