Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 11:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Metformin and insulin resistance

I started on Atkins in early January and lost about 12 pounds over about 6 weeks. I was not hungry and felt fantastic! Then - the diet quit working no matter what I did - more calories, less calories, adjust fat, protein, etc. Finally, last month I discovered I had a blood sugar problem. When I eat Atkins way, it is controlled but a little high and any deviation causes it to go up and stay there a long time. Also, I no longer felt great and I was often hungry. The doctor prescribed Metformin for insulin resistance. Yesterday was my first day - I took 250 mg after lunch. OOWWWW! Gas, bloating, indigestion and diarrhea. Today I took it in the middle of lunch (afternoons are my worst hunger, blood sugar times). I also took a Pepcid AC after lunch to get a jump on the problems. Wonder if I should go ahead and take a Phazyme for the gas?
I am so glad to discover why I couldn't lose weight that I am willing to put up with some side effects - HOWEVER - if anyone has any suggestions, I would be thrilled to hear them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 157/128/137 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 145%
Default Metformin

I take the medicaiton also for type II diabetes. The medication has always given me loose stools and I have been on it for about 6 months.

Are you on the long acting form of it where you take it just one time a day? My doctor recommended that I take mine in the evenings.

I am taking 2000mg of it a day, but the size of the dose made no difference to my having the digestive problems.

It is funny but even a loss of 15 pounds can sometimes make enough difference in a person to where they do not need the medications any longer. Since starting Protein Power at the end of june, my blood sugars have greatly improved and are in the normal range now. I hope to be able to eventually come off of the medication.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 18:04

BF:
Default stomach upset

The first day I took metformin, I took 250 mg about an hour AFTER a meal. Big mistake! I'm now taking it in the miidle of a meal and have increased to 500 mg and it is not causing me any digestive upsets. Course, I can't see that it is doing anything. Does it take a while before it starts to work? By work, I mean make me more sensitivity to insulin and allow me to lose weight. Between the metformin, low carb, and excercise/weight lifting, surely I'll see results soon.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 18:40
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 157/128/137 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 145%

I take 2000mg a day of the extended release so i just teke it one time a day. I have to take medicine all the time to control the diarrhea.

One of the problems that I have is that my insulin resistance has progressed to the point that I am now diabetic. With the low carbing diet..im on protein power, and the glucophage, my blood sugars are doing really well.

I am very hopeful that i can finally get to losing some weight. In the last year, i have lost 11 pounds by just being a little more careful and since starting protein power last month, I have lost another 5 pounds.

My glucophage was increased to 2000mg a day to control the diabetes. I think most people take 1,000 to 1,500 a day.

I have been on birth control pills in order to have a period since i was 15 yrs old. The last several months is the first time i have had periods without birthcontrol pills.

I am now 45 and glad to be off of birth control pills. The danger of blood clots and strokes increase as you get older and you are taking the pill.

gina
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 154/154/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Metformin-ER

Hello everyone,

I just started Metformin and am feeling a little racey from it but nothing serious. I think most Dr's are using the extended release type now because it doesn't cause the gastro-intestinal upsets. I've been on it for 2 days, 500 mg and I've had no upsets that way. My heart is beating a little hard though. Not sure what that is all about.

How long does it take before Metformin starts to heal the cells?

Thanks to U,
Grandma (to be in May)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 08:27

BF:
Default metformin

It took about a month before I was able to start losing weight after beginning metformin. I also gave up caffeine, the cream in my decaf, started walking more and continued lifting weights, and began to really watch portion size. For me, calories do matter. On the other hand, I did add more carbs than the induction level of Atkins. This is something I have to live with for the rest of my life so I'm trying to adjust my diet to something more livable than induction. I don't eat bread, potatoes, corn, sugar, etc but I do have part of an apple on occasion and I did have about 1/4 cup of sweet potato a couple of days ago.
Metformin really helps but it isn't a magic pill. It just makes all your hard work work.