Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 17:57
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/Protein Power
Stats: 142/136.2/120?
BF:27%/26%/14%
Progress: 17%
Default TKD Success Stories?

Hi y'all. About a year ago my husband and I tried a CKD. I am very carb-sensitive and I found it difficult to control my carb-ups and I ended up in a wild binge on the weekends that resulted in little fat loss. I have been gaining and losing the same 10 lbs over the past year or so on a moderate to low carb diet (zone-ish) but I continue to struggle with carb cravings. I have read The Ketogenic Diet and I've decided to try the TKD. I know all about the dreaded Smarties/Sweet tarts , but I was wondering if anyone here as had success on a TKD and would like to share? I usually do a BFL type weight training workout-- should I continue this? I'm a reasonably small woman-- 140lbs at 5'6 but I'm at (I think) about 25% BF and would like to get down to around 15%. I also do moderate cardio 3-5 days a week. I'm having a hard time finding a lot of info on the TKD, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm thinking of just adding 25 g carbs from the dreaded Smarties only prior to weight workouts. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 18:04

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Wait 2 weeks and I can give you a more detailed report.. I've switched to TKD just 3 days ago but the difference really showed today when I did a spinning lesson and was incredibly energetic.. yet, the same afternoon I was in ketosis again..
But for re-raising leptin levels I will do a small depletion WO on Saturday and take 1-2 carbup meals rather than 24 hrs..
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 23:38
Registered Member

Did you use smarties, or something else? I usually work out first thing in the morning and I'm not very excited about Smarties for breakfast. Will a bagel or a granola bar work just as well?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 00:28

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

No, no no...

Smarties with us is sugarcovered chocolate. I have simply bought a jar of maltodextrin in the pharmacy. It's sold as diet food for people who are ill and can't gain weight. I add 7 scoops of 5 gram each, approx. 30 gram of carbs and about 10-15 ml of unsweetened fruit syrup.

This way it looks least like candy or other complex carbs.
A bagel wouldn't be digested as fast as maltodextrin. The carbs you'd need for the workout don't need to be slow-release. Actually I don't know what's in a bagel, but for the workout fast carbs are better.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 00:36

Plan: None
Stats: 230/230/
BF:6
Progress:
Default Re: TKD Success Stories?

Quote:
Originally posted by TKDbunny
Hi y'all. About a year ago my husband and I tried a CKD. I am very carb-sensitive and I found it difficult to control my carb-ups and I ended up in a wild binge on the weekends that resulted in little fat loss. I have been gaining and losing the same 10 lbs over the past year or so on a moderate to low carb diet (zone-ish) but I continue to struggle with carb cravings. I have read The Ketogenic Diet and I've decided to try the TKD. I know all about the dreaded Smarties/Sweet tarts , but I was wondering if anyone here as had success on a TKD and would like to share? I usually do a BFL type weight training workout-- should I continue this? I'm a reasonably small woman-- 140lbs at 5'6 but I'm at (I think) about 25% BF and would like to get down to around 15%. I also do moderate cardio 3-5 days a week. I'm having a hard time finding a lot of info on the TKD, so any advice would be appreciated. I'm thinking of just adding 25 g carbs from the dreaded Smarties only prior to weight workouts. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks!

TKD (targeted ketogenic diet) was originally brought to light by Lyle McDonald as a good tool. In your case, it would be beneficial; however, I do not see how you can control your eating habbits any better w/ TKD then w/ you past CKD experience.

If you were to try TKD, you have to understand it is designed to help your workout intensity and edurance, not to let you have the 'see-food-diet'. Moreover, for you I would suggest getting some dextrose (www.proteinfactory.com) and adding 30-50g of dextrose w/ 10-20g protein prior to your workout. NYC would NOT be a good choice as a fat burner do to the A2 downregulation cause by blood sugar spikes; therefore, I would recommend using E/C/A as a fat-loss aid w/ some ALA.

prior to workout:
30-50g dextrose
10-20g protein
250mg ALA (alpha lipoic acid)

P.S. there is a way you can 'binge' diet w/ CKD, but your program has to be altered to a shorter span and supplements would have to be added to the equation

Mr.X
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 09:35
Registered Member

Actually that was my point. The TKD doesn't allow for major doses of carbs like on the CKD, because my body can not handle them. I have been doing the TKD with only 15g carbs prior to my workout. That is all I need. I am not sure what you are referring to with the fat burner-- I have been taking an ECA stack for quite a while and have not heard of the other thing. I eat Sweet Tarts for my carbs because they are mostly dextrose. But thanks for your reply!