Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 03:28
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
I think it's easy to get too carried away with doing this "strictly," in the sense of following some plan right down to the letter. Most of us are doing this to make our lives better, not to live according to somebody's theory laid down in a book. If loosely following a paleo plan and adding dairy makes somebody happy and able to realize their health goals, more power (and cheese, and butter, and yogurt) to them. If someone follows Bernstein's but is able to maintain BS while eating tomatoes, great for them!

Personally, you can take my cheese when you pry it from my cold, humming, refrigerator, after you get through me first

OMG This is true and more people then not do customize every plan to fit their body, their needs and expectations....

For me I can do small amounts of dairy but not cheeses. Hard aged cheese gives me a headache.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 07:55

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

kwikdriver you are so right. I used to eat a 3 egg omelette for breakfast the first time I did Atkins. This time round I can't manage that much as I've already had 2 cups of tea with cream and I cook my eggs in lard and butter. In fact - the cost of doing this has gone down since I upped the fat percentage. I find it hard to eat steak because all the steak is quite lean here. So I eat a lot of fatty pork. Lard from pork makes me feel amazing.

Well I put my cheese tolerance to the test last night and have to say too much is definitely NOT a good thing for my poor old tummy. We made fake pizza with a ridiculous amount of cheese/cream cheese - I ate too much and suffered all night with indigestion. Blurgh.

WEll I am fine with small amounts though. NOw I understand the 3-4 oz thing. I don't think I have the same problem with cream though, so it must be the casein.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 07:56

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

As a side-note - I was expecting the rash round my right eye to maybe flare during the night after my cheese binge - but it DIDN'T - which means it is NOT CONNECTED TO DAIRY. Wow. That is a relief.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 08:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

As far as the invention of cheese, I heard a food anthropologist say it was probably created when a animal stomach was used as a container to carry milk in. That was on "Good Eats".
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 22:15

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Anyone know why rennet is such a problem for some people? What is its substitute for those who can't tolerate it?
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 00:06

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb
Anyone know why rennet is such a problem for some people? What is its substitute for those who can't tolerate it?

I didn't know rennet could be a problem.

Rennet is an enzyme that specifically acts on kappa casein in milk. It is used in very small amounts and I have always assumed it is deactivated in the final cheese. The acidic environment of the stomach would also deactivate (denature) it.

There are different types of rennet - some are from animal sources and some are from microbiological sources - these are the types used in "vegetarian" cheese. Check labels; ask the manufacturer.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 20:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

http://www.labspec.co.za/l_milk.htm#Cheddarhttp://
This explains that allergy to casein is the greatest culprit. It's from an allergy lab.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-06, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb
http://www.labspec.co.za/l_milk.htm#Cheddarhttp://
This explains that allergy to casein is the greatest culprit. It's from an allergy lab.

Thanks, Santabarb. That was interesting. I agree, it is most likely to be a reaction to the caseins and the breakdown products of the casein as the cheese ages, rather than rennet.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 13:02

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
WEll I am fine with small amounts though. NOw I understand the 3-4 oz thing. I don't think I have the same problem with cream though, so it must be the casein.

there is some casein in cream though isnt there??
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

I know I can do cream, cream cheese but any hard cheese give me really nasty headaches... Not sure why but thought I would throw that in...
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 14:11
Experimenter

BF:

There's allergies, and there are food intolerances, two different but related things. IGE is used to measure food allergens while IGA is used to measure food intolerances. They both cause an immune system reaction, but one can result in allergy like symptoms like an insect bite, while the other is delayed and often results in gastro-intestinal symptoms (and sometimes neurological symptoms).

You can have either or both at the same time.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 17:05

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSherry
but any hard cheese give me really nasty headaches...
You may be allergic to or intolerant of the mold. I have no problem with hard cheeses, but soft cheeses with more casein give me problems (mainly stuffed up sinuses). I have no problem with the miniscule amount of casein in the <1T of heavy cream I use in my coffee or tea.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 17:59
Experimenter

BF:

I'm not sure you're right about casein content and cheese. Hard cheese might actually have more casein since there's less liquid in it, makes the casein more compact and denser.

http://www.allergysa.org/milk.htm
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 03:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
there is some casein in cream though isnt there??

Hi JandLsMom. According to the USDA database, heavy whipping cream (37% fat) contains just over 2% protein. The ratio of casein to whey proteins in milk is approx 80:20 so the cream probably would contain about 1.6 g of casein per 100g.