Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/330/180 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run
Great advice from both Nedgouty and Citruskiss, and believe me I understand this is becoming serious.And you are feeling that you have to do something drastic to get your weight going in the right direction, But Appetite Suppresants will cause irregular heart beat, shortness of breath, anxiety attacks, emotional outbursts, extreme anger followed by not being able to stand anybody. Crying jags, sleeplessness, That is only a few things that happened to me. And they destroyed my first marriage, I was married to a guy who expected me to stay model thin at all times. He couldn't stand the drugged up me either. What got me to see the folly of my ways is when I landed in the hospital on a drug overdose, I almost died. So that is the reason I cringe when I hear the words Appetite Suppresant..

Born did you use diet pills in the 70s or 80s? Things have changed a lot since then. There are ones with natural ingrediants that aren't any more harmful than a vitamin, but there are diet pills and appetite supressants that are harmful just not as many. Thx for the input everybody. I ordered mega green tea diet pills, and I'll let you all know how they work.

Another thing is each time I do atkins I eat all the low carb food in my house in a couple days. All the meat. All the pork rhinds, and all the vegetables. I don't have enough money to go shopping every couple of days right now, so I eithe find a way to control my appetite or eat myself to death with cheap junk food.

Last edited by LCNewbie44 : Sat, Apr-29-06 at 18:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 18:20
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you want something to help curb your cravings, try L-Glutamine, as suggested by Dr Atkins. It made a huge difference to my initial "sweet" cravings.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 22:41

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCNewbie44
Born did you use diet pills in the 70s or 80s? Things have changed a lot since then. There are ones with natural ingrediants that aren't any more harmful than a vitamin, but there are diet pills and appetite supressants that are harmful just not as many. Thx for the input everybody. I ordered mega green tea diet pills, and I'll let you all know how they work.

Another thing is each time I do atkins I eat all the low carb food in my house in a couple days. All the meat. All the pork rhinds, and all the vegetables. I don't have enough money to go shopping every couple of days right now, so I eithe find a way to control my appetite or eat myself to death with cheap junk food.

Well Howdy!! You are where I was, all the way. I had very little willpower and it took the threat of dying to wake me up. You can sure try some sort of pill, but many do not work or have disasterous side effects. I know there are a new breed of the diet suppliments out there, and many seem to be safe.

I would not touch them when I weiged 351, and I sure won't reccomend them now. Now this is from a guy (me) who whole heartedly believes in the use of vitamins and suppliments as part of the low carb way of life. I take several along the guidelines Dr Atkins recommends.

I think you should seriously look at this post again....

LCNewbie44,

I am a compulsive overater and a
member of the group too. I can tell
you that OA might help with the cravings.

It is hard to hear, but you are going
to have to TAKE CONTROL of those
yourself, and solve the problem by
starting to eat practically nothing
for about a year to lose your weight
and then eat a sensible satisfying
food plan after you lose the weight.

Business as usual is no longer an
option for you and I congratulate
you for realizing that.

There may be meetings in your area
if you check at: http://www.oa.org

And beware the few people in OA
that have been members for years
and have GAINED weight. You don't
wanna take advice from a loser like
that. You wanna find someone in program
that has lost their weight and kept it off for
years to be your sponsor.

Good Luck, I am not gonna tell you
that it is easy, but it sure as hell is
a better alternative than eating
yourself to death! I have been
on that road and don't intend to ever
go back! How about you?

Ned is a good man, and has walked this road ahead of both of us. I don't want to come at you, nor do I want to sugar coat it. But until you get control of you any "diet" diet pill or Way of Eating is doomed to follow all past attempts.

Like I said, I got scared half to death by a doctor and a series of medical issues, my friend please, don't wait till that is your fate, or worse!

If followed correctly one shoudl not feel hunger on Atkins. If you are wiping out all the food in the house I really believe you ought to check out OA as Ned suggested. Also, see a doctor. Preferably one that is Low Carb friendly. Get the base blood work and physical done to be sure there is no underlying issue to worry about.

Battling the cravings is a normal part of any health regimen. And to any carb addicts/sweet addicts out there it is a lot like someone battling a drug addiction. When you first stop, cold turkey, you body and the cravings go into warp drive looking for the sugar/carbs. I had that and had to fight that hard.

It was a few attempts at Atkin's before going through a proper or clean induction. The good news is, when you get over the cravings wall the success is generally quick and very noticable.

You are reaching out for help, and that is a big first step. You are well above the norm for doing that.

Follow through, you can do this, and once you have control of your life again, you will be amazed at how good that feels!

Good luck, and I wish there was an easier answer I could give you....

Last edited by ProfGumby : Sat, Apr-29-06 at 22:49.