Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 15:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default one shot?

Help!! This is my second time doing LC because of course over the summer i went back to my normal ways of eating and gained 10 pounds back. I recently read that sometimes you only get one good shot at losing weight doing LC and then the next time you try, it doesn't work. has anyone heard this before?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 18:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%
Default Hi Lisak,

I had done Atkins successfully twice in the past, and have had great results the third and final time around. I also have never tried calorie-restricted or low fat diets. From what I have read from other members, a past history of these sorts of diets and yo-yo-ing, can slow your weight loss down. I'm not sure where anyone can say you get only one shot at LC....there are plenty of people on this forum that can prove that is not true at all.

Also, since you don't have much to lose, it will come off a lot slower than someone who has a lot of weight to lose. Be patient and remember that this WOE is about more than weight loss. It is about making choices to benefit your health.

Good luck, & welcome to the forum.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 19:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's an article about it on the Low-Carb Luxury website.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 22:35

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I understand the whole concept of having "one shot". And I read the article Karen provided from Low-Carb Luxury. Sure makes me want to stay diligent. But part of me wonders if the struggle comes from "age". Not just the fact that one starts and then backslides and then starts again. The woman in the article said it was much more difficult after ten years time to get back to low carbing and make it work. Maybe it's being ten years older that makes it more difficult? Victoria
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 12:23

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Eck I did the same thing recently. Gained 10lbs back, and now its going really really slow.... Sucks.

Lowcarbing still works the 2nd, 3rd..ect times around, it just goes slower and slower. Whatever you do, don't give up altogether and then do low fat, I did that once....I gained. Worse thing ya can do is yo-yo between low carb and low fat.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 14:50

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thank you so much for all your feedback. I read the article and now i am really apprehensive. but i will stick it out and see what happens. i did so well last time that even if it doesn't come off as quick, it is better than nothing at all. after i gained the weight back, i tried weight watchers and low fat and i didn't lose anything. so a few pounds here and there is better than nothing. i am ready for the challenge.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 18:51
Registered Member

Plan: 50/30/20/40-40-20
Stats: 180/192/205
BF:
Progress: 48%

When i go into a cutting pahse i CHO + calorie cycle and slowly lower calories every 2 weeks for a maximum of 12 weeks and it the best diet ive ever done it constanly confuses my body and i rip up pretty fast:

Ex: Week
Monday 2,430 kcal
fat 118
carbs 34
protein 311
fiber 10

Tuesday: Same as Monday

Wensday: 2,140

Thursday is carb up day
3,110 cal
fat 55
carbs 387
pro: 252.5
fiber 42.5

friday,sat,sunday
cal 2,755
fat 68.5
carbs 230
protein 310

ive never hit any stalls on this diet and im also a firm believer in this diet because it gives you somthing to look forward to every coupld days like towards the end of low carb i cant wait for my oatmeal and towards the end of carb days i cant wait for my almonds
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 150/120/120
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default here's my two cents...............

I do believe there is some truth to the "one shot" theory. At least in my situation. I started lowcarbing the Atkin's way almost 4 years ago. I lost all the weight that I needed to (about 30 pounds at the time) REALLY QUICK and I kept it off for several years. It was like a miracle!!! I couldn't believe I was eating bacon, fat, cream, butter, etc. etc and still losing. It literally melted right off my body the first time around on Atkin's. Well although I did a good job keeping the weight off for several years, I did eventually slip back into eating bad. I SWORE that I never would but I became very depressed and turned to cookies, cake, chips, pizza, bread, pasta, ice cream, doughnuts, etc. etc. to comfort me. Well needless to say, I put on about 30 pounds again in a year!!!!! Well I decided to try Atkin's again and to my suprise it didn't work near as well as the first time around!!! I lost a few pounds but nothing significant. Don't get me wrong...........I WAS STILL LOSING, but not very much and it was very slow!!!! The first time I dropped all the weight in about 2 months but the second time around it took 6 months to lose half of what I did the first time!!! So I finally gave up on Atkin's and switched over to Stillman's which is a VERY lowcarb diet. I lost the final pounds doing it that way and it only took a couple of weeks!!! Now I'm back on Atkin's and maintaining. I WILL NEVER STRAY FROM LOW-CARB WOL AGAIN!!! I do not want to have to work ten times harder the next time around. Good luck and hang in there! I hope it's not hard for you to lose the 2nd time around like it was for me. Everyone is different and this was just my scenerio.