Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 07:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

Hi Marilyn- thanks for coming to visit me!
I am sorry about the loss of your daughter- I too lost a son, to AIDS, during a time that a lot of other bad things were going on in my life, and used emotional eating to get through that time. Not a good coping mechanism, but sometimes you do what ya gotta do to get through things. But now comes payback time, huh?

You've lost a lot of weight, fairly quickly, and actually, as I explained yesterday, it is actually easier and quicker for us big beauties to take it off quickly, because our increased size means a higher BMR and higher calorie allotment just to sit in a chair and keep alive! In fact, I burn twice as many calories watching TV in bed, eating pork rinds, as a tiny gal does working out! That's a good deal, huh? But later on, as we get smaller, the party is over, and we have to work!

But Marilyn, to get the fat off, and keep it off, we need to work on the "head thing"- why we got fat and why we use food for comfort. If we don't get that part right, and make this "diet" a way of life, including (sorry) exercise, then it will truly be just another diet, and we will yo-yo back up again. Just look at me- this is the umpteenth time on Atkins, but the ONLY time I have lost a significant amount of weight and stuck with it. And NO CHEATING, not even once, since May1. Not because I am strong and great, but because I am scared!!! That is because I have admitted to carb addiction, and faced that I will have to stay away from certain things forever. Now Sherry B doesn't like that "forever" part, and many on this path don't feel that they are food addicts, but I know, for me, that certain foods trigger cravings, and I do not want to risk that. I CAN'T risk that- I want to live!

"I see the change in the scale but not in my body yet."

Yes, I have noticed that same thing, and so have others here. It is so weird. I tend to lose in "whooshes", and it seems to take a while for my body to catch up! My last twenty pounds came off pretty fast, but I didn't LOOK any different! Now, weeks later, I am starting to see the change. Sometimes, if you take photos along the way and then compare them, you can see the change better, especially when those cheekbones start popping out! Atkins is so different from low fat diets- it is kind to your skin, and your face will take on a healthy glow, not that bony starving look that scares your friends and family.

You didn't say if you are trying any exercise yet? Even walking helps. Sometimes, when I felt tempted, I would go exercise and/drink more water, and then I would forget about it. I think exercise, drinking lots of water, and the higher fat content of Atkins helps with that dreaded "fear factor" of loose skin- at least, it isn't a problem so far, even at my age.

Marilyn, if you start a journal, we'll all come visit you, I promise. And you might want to go visit some other big folks here in the Triple Digits too. Go see Shark- yeah, I know he is a sweaty jock guy, but he is doing so well with his own weird plan and exercise. Guys always have an interesting viewpoint- when they wanna lose weight, they just DO IT< with all the emotional issues we gals have.

Sure you can do it, and we will help you! We'll have that Xena Warrior Princess costume waiting for you when you are ready!

Big Hugs
Kat
Sponsored Links