Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%
Default Gin

Is it alright to drink Gin? I'm only on day 5 of induction, but this saturday is a big family get together. I'm not much of a drinker, but these sort of occasions are torture if you're sobre, ifyou know what I mean.
I'm not planning on excessive drinking, I have a 26er and would be suprised if I finish half of it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 12:41
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

You aren't supposed to have alcohol on induction.

Moderators tell me if i'm explaining right -

The body will burn the alcohol until that is gone then go back to burning fat. Basically can cause a stall in weight loss. But it is of course up to you - your plan is what works for you.

I had (after induction) a glass of wine with dinner. By the way I got way drunker then I used to - but I felt very bloated the whole day after and I never feel bloated anymore!

Have a good time either way!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 12:51

Plan: Atkins (induction)
Stats: 240/232/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 9%

LIsa is correct, you should not have any alcohol until after induction. Believe me, I am tempted everyday, I love my vodka and my liquor cabinet (It is actually a china cabinet LOL) is completely stocked.

The order in which your body burns is
alcohol
carbs
fat

so in order to get rid of the fat, it will have to work to get rid of all the other first. Not sure if it would be worth the chance.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 15:48

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Now I'm going to stick my neck out and get my head bitten off

We live in a real world. Yesterday I 'had' to drink a toast, in brandy to one of my staff's new born baby. It was nice so I had another one. This morning I've lost 1lb

It is true that the body burns alcohol first but in my case it seems to kick start ketosis too.

If you really want a gin I'd say have one! The next day go straight back to induction though...and as a rule keep off the alcohol.

When you get past induction you might experiment a little. Alcohol is one of these your milage may vary things. Best to stick to very dry wines, vodka or other low sugar drinks though.

Please don't all attack me at once...

Robert
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 18:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

No attack is necessary!

It's an individual choice that everyone makes. For some it works well with their WOL, and for others it doesn't. Drinking is a high priority for a lot of people.

I suppose the wisdom is in knowing when it's not working and why.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 00:06

Plan: basic LC
Stats: 200/150.5/130 Female 65"
BF:46.3//???
Progress: 71%

Definately not an attack..... I am one who drinks a couple beers every (other) night or so. (or wine, or vodka). But I feel the need to point out to you that alchohol dehydrates the body so after a night of drinking (even only a couple) you will tend to drop a couple due to the dehydration. I always notice that the nights I drink more than one or two I drop the next day (and I love it ) but it usually doesn't last.
Now, if we drank every night, would we continue to keep dropping and how long could we pull this off???? Could be a whole new book........lol
Actually I think I've already seen a LC book somewhere (out of print) called "the drinking man's diet" or something like that??? Did someone already explore this theory????
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%

I forgot to check for an answer to this before the weekend, so I ended up having a few drinks. I did notice I go ta nice buzz just after the first drink, and it usually takes me a fair bit to feel anything. But then again, it was my first time drinking in some time (dont care much for alcohol).
I stepped on the scale earlier that night though, and saw that I was down a few pounds already in one week.