Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 00:50

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%
Default Most Awesomest Carb-Up Drink Eva!!!

Ight, get this. I finish my depletion workout, and I was at the 24 hour fitness, caus my other gym was closed. So then I look in the cooler caus they got the Rapid Recovery, then I saw they stocked the most awesomest drink ever that they usually never have!! It's called SIZE-UP, and let me tell you, it shouldn't even be called a drink, it's more like a syrup. All MAltodextrin (some glycerine), can you say

1000 calories??? TADOW FOOL!!

This drink will clown any sucka who thinks they are tough....Plus you got 50 grams of some mad whey-protein blend. This is most awesomest drink, it's like 4 bucks but I didn't pay i just took it........

So get your ass up and buy or take one of these drink for your next carb-up ASAP!!

PS
Am I the only one who notice CKD board is empty as soon as the summer ends???? It's all those seasional dieters who are not hard-core like me I'm like 15weeks+ into CKD......can u say TADOW??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 20:21

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Okay, so I'm not the toughest in the lot, and I don't scare anyone in the weight room......but I'm still here! LOL

In fact, my happy butt's going to be here making SURE I don't put on an unecessary layer of fat in the Winter like a hybernating bear!

....I'm aiming for this bod to be Summer-ready by mid-Winter!!!!!

Guess you can say I'm here with you for the long haul, C!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 20:26

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

Looks like i will be adding Size Up to the shopping list.

Any idea who makes it?

Do you actually drink the Rapid Recovery? I tried it and could barely choke it down.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 20:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
Do you actually drink the Rapid Recovery? I tried it and could barely choke it down.

Who me, or C? LOL... I assure you, after you warned me about the stuff----no way am I going to try it! You can be the official board ginnea pig, Big Dog! LOL.. you try it, tell us what you think.... Okay, okay...just kidding.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 21:42

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
Looks like i will be adding Size Up to the shopping list.

Any idea who makes it?

Oh yea, sorry. Its a Worldwide Nutrition product, and the exact specs are.....

200g carbs
-160Maltodextrin (GOOD CARB!!!)
-40 Glycerine (whatever)
50g Protein
(Good whey blend with L-G also)

so it's a pretty solid drink. When I first got it, I showed it to all my friends and they ALL had to have a sip, they don't CKD or anything, just caus it was 1000 calories in a drink....everytime they took a sip, I was like "That's one Big Mac"

hejeje
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 18:53

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default size-up

Size up is so damn thick ... LOL ... I had to drink half a bottle, then cut it with water to be able to drink the other half.

Advice: Drink it over a half hour period. Don't try and slug it all down. Your stomach may hate you for it. LOL.

I sued to use size-up when I worked at a different gym that carried Worldwide products.

I like Rapid Recovery too.

I think American Bodybuilding makes a drink called Critical Mass that is alot of fun too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 19:59

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

I couldnt find Size up or Carb Rush tonight so I ended up with Twin Lab Ultra Fuel for tomorrow.

It has fructose in it but at the most it is only 16 grams

The label lists 100 grams of carbs and 33 grams of sugars

the ingredients list Maltodextrin then dextrose, then fructose.

If i understand this correctly the Malto is 67 grams. the dextrose and fructose make up the 33 grams of sugars. Since dextrose was listed first there must be more of it than fructose. So that would mean at a minimum there is 17 grams of dextrose and 16 grams of fructose.

American has Carbo Force and a few others that i saw but they all seemed to be loaded with HFCS.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 00:08

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

What is maltodextrin exactly? Can it be bought separately?
I am going to eat rice pudding right after my depletion workout. Lots of carbs, good taste a tad of protein.
Once I find a way to store whey powder (I have 10 lbs but it will take 20 weeks to use it up), I will add that to the rice pudding for the extra protein..

Simple and good tasting stuff.. or don't they sell rice pudding in your neck of the woods... hey I can even buy sweet rice pie here!

Fietser in the NLs
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 05:09

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

Maltodextrin is a bit strange. Apparently it is a complex carbohydrate but it has a GI of 105. From what I've read it is supposed to have a sustained insulin response over time.

Check out home brewing shops for really cheap dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin (glucose polymers)

In the first 6 hours after my depletion workout I take in about 600g of dextrose/maltodextrin, its pretty tough to stomach though...

here's some great info on carbs, especially the table at the bottom of the page:

http://207.136.67.23/squashlink/eloadcarbo.htm

Last edited by BigDaddy32 : Fri, Oct-18-02 at 05:16.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 05:19

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDaddy32
Maltodextrin is a bit strange. Apparently it is a complex carbohydrate but it has a GI of 105. From what I've read it is supposed to have a sustained insulin response over time.

Check out home brewing shops for really cheap dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin (glucose polymers)

In the first 6 hours after my depletion workout I take in about 600g of dextrose/maltodextrin, its pretty tough to stomach though...

here's some great info on carbs, especially the table at the bottom of the page:

http://207.136.67.23/squashlink/eloadcarbo.htm

Thanks for the tip... there are a lot of pubs here, and a shop with specialty beers/wines as well, but I don't suppose they sell homebrewing stuff..

Fietser, who looks forward to the carbup but now realizes that she can't just eat anything, like potato crisps or french fries or full-fat icecream (one my major 'sins' ).. the pendulum now has swung backwards again and the frozen yoghurt ice-cream which I always liked, can hardly be found anymore.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 05:23

you really want to stay away from regular sugar as well, especially if you have difficulty getting back into ketosis. This is because sugar is sucrose which is half glucose and half fructose, and we all know where fructose goes...
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 06:07

Quote:
you really want to stay away from regular sugar as well, especially if you have difficulty getting back into ketosis. This is because sugar is sucrose which is half glucose and half fructose, and we all know where fructose goes...

Are you QUITE sure that fructose is deposited as glycogen in the liver, at least that is what I've read somewhere...

So, I don't know, I'm new to both CKD and BFL, though I have read lots, I don't have either one of the books.. which hasn't limited me so far though, but I may ask some questions that are obvious to those who want to say RTFM (read the f*ing manual)..

I don't like ordering from the Internet, but they might be sold locally????

Fietser
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 06:10

yeah everything I've read states that fructose must be converted by the liver into glucose to be pumped into the blood, and then it can be taken into muscles as glycogen. This is also why fructose is low GI, as it takes so long to process it!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 06:23

Quote:
yeah everything I've read states that fructose must be converted by the liver into glucose to be pumped into the blood, and then it can be taken into muscles as glycogen. This is also why fructose is low GI, as it takes so long to process it!

But I LOVE fruit I was just thinking up what I was going to eat on Saturday from the foods I love: rice pudding, fried rice with veggies or omelet and fruit, fruit plus more fruit!
But fruit is not created equal, so some fruit is better than others, grapes, oranges, which ones?

Fietser
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 10:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Fietser
But I LOVE fruit I was just thinking up what I was going to eat on Saturday from the foods I love: rice pudding, fried rice with veggies or omelet and fruit, fruit plus more fruit!
But fruit is not created equal, so some fruit is better than others, grapes, oranges, which ones?

Fietser

Hi, Fiester!

Here's where it gets complicated: In the book Lyle suggests eating a small carb meal 4 hours the depletion workout, then another small carb meal 2 hours before...that contains fruit!. When I went to his BB to ask clarification on this he said that the idea is to take the liver out of it's catabolic (ketogenic) state. He said a little fruit wont kill you on the carb up, or the meals before the depletion workout, and just said that eating tons of fruit could start putting on weight.

He also said that the idea of the carb up is to restore leptin levels, so if that were the case then getting the liver to do it's thing----is that "down-regulate or up-regulate? (someone help me here on this one)---is the key to getting into that anabolic state, thus allowing for supercompensation to happen more thoroughly???

I may have it all confused...so much information in a short time, but that's the way I understand it right now.

Another benefit of having the book is having access to Lyle's BB, which means you can go straight to the source to ask questions too! I love it! Between this board and Lyle's, I feel like I'm in very good hands!!

Good luck, and I hope I haven't consfused the issue further for you.