Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 03:17

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%
Question Questions about cardio BFL-style

I dislike most normal cardio and the sport's physician told me not to put any weight on my feet by running or walking or as what caused the injury, skipping rope. In May I did a BFL-style rowing session and the shoulder is still hurting..

So, this limits what I can do..

But I adore spinning classes, which I do at Wed & Sat, because these are the only days when you can attend in the morning (Tuesday & Thursday would have been better). The advantage is that I have 2 rest days rather than one. The 3rd cardio day will be done by swimming, something I don't really love, but it's the only thing I can think off which is cardio and possible for someone with injured feet & shoulders.
It's pretty darn hard to do intensity training if you're not a good swimmer.. so I'll join an aquarobic class on Tuesday night.. the only night workout I will have.

Is this a good plan? Seems to me that it's better to do any aerobics even when it doesn't folllow the rules strictly rather than do them grudgingly.
By the way, I'm commuting to the gym 4x /week which involves 28 K round trip (17,5 miles).

Fietser
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:54

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

can you ride either a regular or recumbent stationary bike? They dont stress your feet nearly as much as walking or running.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
can you ride either a regular or recumbent stationary bike? They dont stress your feet nearly as much as walking or running.

Huh, I cycle one of my 3 bikes every day and even longish distances have no bad effect, unless, which happened frequently during my bike holiday in Brazil, I have to WALK the fully loaded bike and sometimes even drag it uphill.
No, it's just standing, walking, running and skipping rope that makes it hurt..
It surprises me now that after so many months I have less symptoms than I used to have, even when I wasn't stressing my feet all that much. Could it be that magical flax seed oil I'm swalling now?

But my question is.. should I sweat it that I'm not doing cardio BFL style? I suppose spinning is strenuous enough on its' own and aquarobics probably will be strenuous as well...

Fietser
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Smile

Hi!

I would think that, since you are eating CKD-style, it would be more important to follow the CKD guidelines for doing cardio. From what I have read, there are specific reasons--related to inducing ketosis--for the scheduling and duration of CKD cardio sessions. Sticking to a BFL-type cardio regimen might interfere with those goals.

I would recommend you post this question in the CKD forum and see what they recommend for you, in terms of cardio...

Also, in your signature, what does "fernweh" mean? Your quote says: I have ride fever but my bike has "fernweh." I'm just curious...

Good luck!

Trilbe
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 11:03

Good question.. BFL appealed to me because of the enthusiastic reports I had read and also because I need the combination of weight training and cardio to both lose weight and get better at my favourite sport: endurance-cycling.
CKD is mostly geared to dedicated bodybuilders, but it doesn't mean that the diet won't be helpful to me..
I guessed that BFL people here would know better what the proper cardio exercise is for a true BFL-style than the CKD-folks.. esp. since this is a low-carb board.

I'm not overly obsessed with absolute strength which is the reason of a carb-up day. For me it's the perfect solution when I don't want to give up carbs for life, but still don't want to go back to a high-carb lifestyle. Once I'll approach my desired weight I will slowly add the healthier carbs, esp. legumes and fruit.

After all 80 kg of weight is way too much for someone just 1,58 m tall. To translate in imperialist measures: 176 lbs on a 5'4" female frame.

The signature says
Ich habe Reisefieber / I have travel fever
und mein Fahrrad hat Fernweh / and my bike is 'far'sick, as opposed to 'home'sick. Fernweh is a word I only know in German, it isn't used in any other languge I know

Fietser
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 11:33
Registered Member

Smile

Hi!

I'm sorry I misunderstood you earlier!
It sounds to me like you are doing low-carb BFL with a "free day" on Saturday, which you use to carb up. Well, in that case, it sounds to me like your cardio plan is great. Spinning class is an awesome high-intensity workout, so I don't see why you would have any problems doing this.

Keep in mind, though, that you do not want to do your weights on the same day as your cardio. Nor do you want to do two intense cardio sessions on the same day.
Hussman's Workout Advice

I don't think that Hussman's concerns about glycogen depletion apply to us, who are on LC diets, but I would think that his advice about ATP and creatine phosphate stores would apply equally well to us. If I'm mistaken about this, I'm sure someone here will correct me.

It sounds like you have a really solid plan. Good luck!

Trilbe
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 11:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Trilbe
Hi!

I'm sorry I misunderstood you earlier!
It sounds to me like you are doing low-carb BFL with a "free day" on Saturday, which you use to carb up. Well, in that case, it sounds to me like your cardio plan is great. Spinning class is an awesome high-intensity workout, so I don't see why you would have any problems doing this.

Keep in mind, though, that you do not want to do your weights on the same day as your cardio. Nor do you want to do two intense cardio sessions on the same day.
Hussman's Workout Advice

I don't think that Hussman's concerns about glycogen depletion apply to us, who are on LC diets, but I would think that his advice about ATP and creatine phosphate stores would apply equally well to us. If I'm mistaken about this, I'm sure someone here will correct me.

It sounds like you have a really solid plan. Good luck!

Trilbe

Hmmm I have little choice in the times when the spinning lessons are given and I much prefer the morning session. So one of the lessons coincide with my weight training days. I have given it some thought and decided to do it after all. Even though I did leg works on Wednesday, I felt only lousy for the first 10-15 mins of the lesson, which was also because of the improper seat position (only 2nd lesson in 6 months,used to go 3x/week). After the lesson I felt great.. I've also read that it works out better to do weight lifting BEFORE cardio if you must combine the 2 of them..
Now I'm thinking about it, I may reverse things on Saturday to get a full depletion. So, even though a weight lifting workout isn't scheduled , I could try a few exercises that I haven't tried before and esp. do some extra ab work. When I really really push myself that lesson, it shouldn't be too hard to get depleted by just a cardio training..

It's pretty hard to follow 2 plans when you haven't read either one of the books (probably not available here).
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 14:08
Registered Member

Thumbs up Go for it!

Hi!

We're all individuals. And you know your body better than anybody else does. So, I think your best plan would be to just forget about thinking CKD-style or BFL-style and focus on what works best for your body and what fits your lifestyle. I'll bet that no matter what you do, if you do it consistently you'll get results.

One of my friends, here at the office, is also doing BFL. She was teasing me the other day about my program. She said that I was doing BFL, except for the BFL workouts and BFL nutrition... I've made changes that suit my life and my metabolism--and it's going really well. I think that's what counts.

So why not change things slightly to better suit you? If it doesn't work, then you'll change it. But it sounds like you have given it a try and it sounds like it does work. This is just my long-winded way of saying that you don't need to take anybody else's opinion on whether or not your plan is BFL, because you've already tried it and it works for you. It doesn't really matter if it's BFL or not.

Good luck!

Trilbe
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 14:20

Well, I only started this very week!
Last Saturday I did the first spinning lesson since February when I injured my foot at skipping rope (just once)
I laid off all exercise, including weight lifting which I had just started again, also with the idea to do it BFL-style, without even knowing where it was all about.

I also started LC-ing half-heartedly back in February.
Now I came back late September and felt still grossly obese (normally I lose weight during long holidays) and decided to take control, also with the stimulation from a friend.

So, I've gone into ketosis 2 weeks ago and started the BFL-plan this week and will go and take a carbloading day coming Saturday.. so I don't know my body all that well!
Except that apparently I'm an extremely efficient fat-burner as I once cycled 700 K straight through in 45 hours with basically very little nutrition!

Fietser
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 13:56

Default Update

Well thanks for everyone who responded..

This week I switched from CKD which makes you exercise around the diet (mild carb depletion workouts on Mon-Tues to get into ketosis and severe carb depletion WO on Friday to get out of ketosis afterwards) to TKD which makes you eat carbs around pretty high intensity cardio and/or workouts.

it works brilliantly .. I was OK in the past 2 weeks regarding weight lifting, but the cardio really sucked.. I could only attain some speed about 20 mins into the cardio lesson as I was like death warmed over like Jalilah said.. today the spinning right after WT was simply great. I had added 35 g of maltodextrin and about 15 ml of unsweetened (Brazilian) passion fruit syrup. I was completely hyper.. the 35 g was just enough to make me feel energetic, while I was back in ketosis late in the afternoon..
I'm still going to carb up in the weekend in order to raise leptin levels, but only for 1-2 meals of 300 kcal each (same as my normal meal consumption)

Oh, and I also made some changes to my plans. This is what I do this week .. the next one is for after I come back from the holidays
currently
mon am UBWO or LBWO , pm aquajogging
tues nothing
wed am LBWO or UBWO followed by spinning lesson
thurs am short 20 min cardio on bike: cycling up a small local hill about 8 times..
friday am UBWO or LBWO
sat am spinning , followed by a small depletion WO, mostly to try out exercises I haven't done before or do normally..

after I come back
mon pm aquajogging
tues am UBWO or LBWO
wed am spinning
thurs am LBWO or UBWO
fri am hort 20 min cardio on bike: cycling up a small local hill about 8 times.. and if the plans of the gym will come true, a spinning lesson in the morning
sat am UBWO or LBWO followed (or preceded) by a spinning lesson

The advantage of the 2nd method would be that doing a WO on Saturday would be more depletion like especially when it is an UBWO combined with spinning (like a LBWO).
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 15:02
Registered Member

Thumbs up That is fantastic!

Congratulations!

It sounds like you have a plan that is working for you AND that you are really enjoying. I don't think it gets any better than that. Way to go!

Trilbe