Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 03:04

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 135/118/107
BF:20%
Progress: 61%
Question Mayo/Soy/Faxseed/confused

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated?

I've read Atkins, PP, and Neanderthin. I've be hooked on LC for about 3 months. I've created a plan for myself best on what works for me and what doesn't.

I'm VERY confused though about the conflicting information about Mayonaise, Flaxseed oil supplements, and soybeans.

1. Neanderthin says no to Mayo, PP and Atkins say yes.
I love mayo...what is soooo "bad" about it?" I've tried to make my own but it always comes out awful. Any advice?

2. I thought Flaxseed oil supplements were good for you? PP yes, NO to the supplement? Any advice w/this one?

3. Are soybeans OK or not OK?

4. Lastly, is the visable fat on meat and the skin on poultry good or bad? Do I eat it or not eat it?

Thanks soooooo much for any info you can provide.

(I can't imagine life w/out mayo)

hartwick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 03:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Mayo is one of my favorite staples on Atkins, and I have been losing at a steady pace for 3 1/2 months. The Neanderthin guys might not like it because it can't be hunted or gathered! Maybe you can just "hunt" for it at your local foodstore!

If it is available where you live, the only mayo I like is Hellman's (sometimes called Best Foods). I'm no cook so can't give advice on homemade but my husband is a great cook and we used to make it in a blender when we lived where we couldn't get Hellman's. It took a lot of tries but he eventually achieved a mayonnaise that stood up to the Hellman's challenge. The secret was PLENTY of salt.

Skin and fat on poultry and meats are another staple of my diet.

Finally, on soybeans I would check out the carb count if I were you. "Good" or "bad" I would leave up to your tastebuds and your plan.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 06:31

Smile

Thanks for your quick reply and sense of humor.

I'll try the salt..I wasn't using any...I'm not a salt fan so maybe I'll stay w/Hellmans.

Any opion about the faxseed oil?

hartwick
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 06:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Sorry, I haven't tried the flaxseed oil. I have started taking Atkins Essential Oils, which I believe probably contains flaxseed oil. I have not noticed that it has had either a positive or a negative effect on my weight loss.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 07:45

The authors of PP say that Flaxseed oil is a "dangerous" oil. Atkins and Neanderthin advocate it?

Very confusing.......
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:43

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking re:flax

Hi hartwick, I'm new here too. 3 weeks but down 13 lbs. I eat mayo esp. in egg and tuna salad. No problems with that.

Now, about flax. Boy, I love the flax seed meal. I add it to everything, even the dog's food!! Once a long time ago I did read something negative about flax seed (oil or seed, not sure) but I can't remember where. Perhaps Doreen can jump in here. She knows alot about this stuff.

I think the article said that flax seed oil blocks the absorbtion of something else. However, I have read hundreds of positive things about it so I take I cap a day and add the meal wherever possible. (I add 1/4 cup to Karens nut crust, delicious) Good luck and see ya later

Nancy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by hartwick
The authors of PP say that Flaxseed oil is a "dangerous" oil. Atkins and Neanderthin advocate it?

When PP was published in 1995 the Eades did not have the benefit of the research on Flaxoil that occurred later. With the release of PPLP they changed their opinions on flax and now endorse it's use.

You can read more about why from this post:

Flax Seed/Oil Bad For You???

HTH
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:19

Wink

This is GREAT stuff. Thank you so very much.

What is Flax Seed Meal? Where do you purchase it?

What is the opinion about soy? My understanding about why Mayo is not good is because Mayo has soybean oil....some accurate info about this would be appreciated.

Lastly, what about the skin on poultry and the visable fat on meat? Can it be consumed as part of meeting our fat quota?

Thanks again :-)

Hartwick
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Re: Mayonnaise, Soy and Paleo eating.

While there is nothing wrong with homemade mayonnaise that does not contain vinegar, commercially prepared mayonnaise has vinegar and preservatives that run counter to the Paleo food philosophy.

For some reason, I can't use my search function, but if you click the search icon and search for mayonnaise and Karen in the Low Carb Kitchen Forum, a bunch will come up.

With soybeans, and soy products, they require too much intervention from man to make them edible and they can't be consumed in their raw state.

From a low-carbing perspective, they're OK if you can fit them into your daily carb allowance.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:36

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by hartwick
What is Flax Seed Meal? Where do you purchase it?

Flaxseed Meal is ground flax seeds. You can purchase it in most health food stores - you can also find it in many grocery stores. A local bulk foods chain in Canada (Bulk Barn) sells flax seeds and ground flax seeds.

I buy the seeds and grind them as I need them in a coffee grinder. Once ground the oil is released; flaxseed oil is very perishable and doesn't keep long. Ground flax meal should be kept in an airtight container in the freezer for best shelf life. This is also where I keep my seeds.

Quote:
For some reason, I can't use my search function, but if you click the search icon and search for mayonnaise and Karen in the Low Carb Kitchen Forum, a bunch will come up.
Mayo Search

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:39

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking re:flax

Dear Natrushka, Thank you so much for that link, I sure wouldn't want to give up my flax!!

Hartwick, you don't mention where you live. In Canada, Bob's Red Mill Flax seed meal is available all over the place. In USA I don't know. Let us know where you live.

Nancy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
Stats: 150/?/135
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Default flaxseed oil/ flaxseed meal

The only negative thing I've ever heard about flaxseed (and I've been using it for many years, way before I heard of low-carb) is that, as Natrushka mentioned, it is very perishable--particularly the oil--and when it oxidizes it is not good for you. This is why the oil is always packaged in dark bottles and specially sealed, and once you open a bottle you should keep it in the fridge and use it up very quickly. I always worry so much about the oil going bad, that I just use the seeds now (which can also go bad, but if you do as Natrushka suggests, and buy the whole seed and grind them yourself, you really shouldn't have to worry. This also tastes the best, since it is so fresh. For conveniance, though, I use Bob's Red Hill Flaxseed meal in a pinch, and yes, it is available in the U.S. now--in Manhattan, anyway).
Also, another benefit of the seeds is they are a GREAT source of fiber--much more gentle and effective than psyllium seed, I have found. When I used to have a constipation problem (on a high-carbo, high fiber, vegan diet, I might add! ) flaxseed helped alot. Also a great source of other nutrients, not just fat.
Also, when you're low-carbing, flaxseed meal is very useful in making hot breakfast cereals that substitute well for oatmeal and such--I eat flaxomeal every day!
Enjoy!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:42

Smile

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Any answers concerning the skin on poultry and the visable fat on meat? Can it be consumed and counted toward ones fat quota? Or is it considered too unhealthy?

Hartwick
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 11:27
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
Stats: 150/?/135
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Default fat

By all means, eat the fat of the meat!!! That's the great thing about low-carbing...I haven't read Neanderthin, but every other low-carb book I've red is pro-fat. And, if the premise of Neanderthin is that you eat as the Neanderthals did--I don't think they trimmed any fat off anything, they ate any fat they could get their hands on, I would bet!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 11:39

Wink

Thanks Puma Power

Well that is what I thought...But Neanderthin says to reomove the skin from poultry and only eat lean meat. Which doesn't make any sense to me. That is why I'm trying to get this clarified.

Any others have thoughts, info on this??