Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 08:22

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%
Default Coke and Water

I was sent this by a friend:

WATER
75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism by as much as 3%. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study. Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50%less likely to develop bladder cancer.

COKE.
In many states, the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminium foil dipped in Coca-Cola. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion. To loosen rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminium foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy. To remove grease from clothes:
Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.
It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info
The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials. The distributors of Coca-Cola have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is,
would you like a glass of water or coke?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Very interesting

I'm going to print this out and show my sons when they are begging me for a Coke and I tell them to have water instead!

Akiwican
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 09:36

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Smile

Very interesting.

I too am printing it out to let my hubby read. When I say he drinks Pepsi that would be an understatement. Most days he drinks 80-100 oz. of Pepsi. And if he chooses something else it's either milk to go with cookies or coffee... but those are rare.

Never water... I think he might melt. The doctor scolds him every visit about dehydration.

Not that this will change anything. It'll just give him a chuckle.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 19:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This has been posted before - it's one of those urban legend thingies that keep getting tossed around. Hoax-a-rama.

From http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp :

Many of the entries above are just simple household tips involving Coca-Cola. That you can cook and clean with Coke is relatively meaningless from a safety standpoint -- you can use a wide array of common household substances (including water) for the same purposes; that doesn't necessarily make them dangerous. The fact is that all carbonated soft drinks contain carbonic acid, which is moderately useful for tasks such as removing stains and dissolving rust deposits (although plain soda water is much better for such purposes than Coca-Cola or other soft drinks, as it doesn't leave a sticky sugar residue behind). Carbonic acid is relatively weak, however, and people have been drinking carbonated water for many years with no detrimental effects.

The rest of the claims offered here are, in a word, stupid. Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid (from the orange, lemon, and lime oils in its formula) and phosphoric acid. However, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to cause harm. The only people who proffer the ridiculous statements that Coca-Cola will dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail in a matter of days are people who have never actually tried any of these things, because they just don't happen. (Anyone who conducts these experiments will find himself at the end of two days with a whole tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)

The next time you're stopped by a highway patrolman, try asking him if he's ever cleaned blood stains off a highway with Coca-Cola. If you're lucky, by the time he stops laughing he'll have forgotten about the citation he was going to give you.

(End of quote)

Now, on the other hand, consider the dangers of water:

(From http://mmd.foxtail.com/Archives/Dig...7.07.31.11.html )

Dihydrogen Oxide (DHO) is colourless, odourless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people each year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHO, but the dangers of Dihydrogen Oxide do not end there.

Prolonged exposure to it's solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance.

Not only is DHO dangerous to humans it is also extremely hazardous to the environment. It is a major component of acid rain, it contributes to the greenhouse effect, and is a common cause of erosion of our natural landscape.

Worldwide contamination by DHO is reaching epidemic proportions. Quantities of the chemical have been found in almost every stream, lake and reservoir in Australia today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in the Antarctic. So far governments and environmental watchdogs have been indifferent to the problem.

Despite the danger DHO is widely used as an industrial solvent and coolant, in nuclear power stations, as a fire retardant, as an additive in certain junk foods and other food products, and in a wide variety of other uses. Companies routinely dump DHO into rivers and oceans, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal.

The Australian government (In fact no government) has refused to ban the production, distribution or use of this damaging chemical due to its 'importance to the economic life of the nation'.

In fact the U.S. Navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHO, and designing multi-billion-dollar devices to control and use it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly complicated underground distribution network. Many store huge quantities for later use.

Act now to prevent further contamination.

<center></center>
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 05:38

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%

Thanks, Kristine - your posting is as interesting as the original. Like the others, I showed the e-mail to my kids in the hope they would drink more water.

I agree that in some ways water drinking is a nuisance - in many countries tourists only drink bottled water and add to the pollution problems. We could end up seeing more empty plastic bottles on a beach than sand

But the e-mail does highlight the fact that water is healthier than coke. What impressed me was what this stuff could do to your insides whereas water would need something added to it to have the same effect. But again, I suppose moderation is the key - too much water can be just as toxic as too much coke.

Judy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 18:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

...to add to everyone's confusion , a lot of people drink deionized, distilled, or reverse osmosis water (Desani) and the low mineral content is somewhat detrimental. Magnesium deficiency is widespread and 'unnaturally' pure waters don't help. (But what do you do when your tapwater tastes like a dirty swimming pool? )
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Angry Poisons in Our Water~

Chlorine... is a known carcinogen... Fluoride is not that whoopy either...The following is from an article about fluoride... and I find it quite interesting. "Fluoridation of our municipal waters has been a very controversial subject for some time now....Here are the facts about fluoride....Fluoride inhibits enzyme production. Fluoride causes iodine deficiencies. Fluoride causes congenital defects in plant and grains from seed exposure. Fluoride causes coronary disease, arteriosclerosis, myocardial infarctions, and fibrosis in otherwise healthy animals. Fluoride damages chromosomes and causes mongoloidism in the fetus. In 1990, eighty-eight million pounds of fluoride was shipped to municipal water works.There is obviously no reason for this carcinogen in our water supplies.As previously mentioned, a critical problem cause by fluoride is the fact that it also blocks the iodine receptors in the thyroid gland. Fluorine, chlorine, bromine, and iodine are chemically known as halogens. The chemical relationship of these elements may result in a reduced amount of thyroxine, which is much needed for a healthy thyroid gland.

If you live in a municipal area that has fluoridated water you may choose to get a filter specifically designed for fluoride removal for your home. Remember to filter the bath and shower also. Bathing and showering allows an increase in absorption of this chemical into the body due to the skin being permeable and our largest organ. Purifying water by distillation or reverse osmosis are effective methods in removing fluoride. Please note that fluoride is only concentrated when water is boiled, as for making tea, coffee, soups, etc.

Sodium fluoride has been used as a rat poison. It is found in toothpaste, mouth rinses, and store bought juices as well as the municipal water supply systems. Fluorine is known to accumulate in body tissue, is cumulative in the brain and may inhibit normal brain development.

According to Hanna Kroeger the use of sodium fluoride in our toothpaste disables the immune system, thyroid, parathyroid, thymus, and parotid glands for a period of 12 hours. When we brush our teeth twice a day we have compromised our immune system for the entire day. This fluoride enters the body, passes through and accumulates in the kidneys and other places where this toxin is not needed. There is enough sodium or stannous fluoride in a seven ounce tube of toothpaste to kill a twenty pound child. Many behavioral changes have been noted immediately after some children brushed their teeth with a fluoride toothpaste. Please check your tooth paste!140 grams of fluoride per person are dumped into our environment each year. If we multiply this number by the number of people in our country who drink fluoridated water, we have twenty-billion lethal doses being placed into our environment wherever standard fluoridation is utilized. That equals ten million tons of rat poison spread across America.Please read the following quote from a Yearbook of Agriculture 1939 article. The article is entitled "Mineral Needs of Man" and clearly states that fluorine in our water supplies is a hazard to our health and to the health of our children.

"In contrast to the tendency to iodine deficiency, too much fluorine in the water supply is detrimental. Fluorine has been shown to be the cause of a disfiguring dental disease known as mottled enamel or fluorosis. Fluorine interferes with the normal calcification of teeth during the process of their formation, so that affected teeth, in addition to being usually discolored and ugly in appearance, are structurally weak and deteriorate early in life. For this reason, it is especially important that fluorine be avoided during the period of teeth formation, that is from birth to the age of 12 years."

We have discussed how detrimental and dangerous the addition of fluoride is to our water systems. How many of you or someone that you know have taken a drug or compound more commonly known as Prozac?

The symptoms produced by this drug and exposure to fluoride are very similar. The reason being, and this is no coincidence, Prozac is also known as Fluoxetine Hydrochloride, a fluoride containing compound. Luvox, or Fluvoxamine, is very similar to Prozac. Both of these drugs have three molecules of fluoride in their chemical make-up. Brain levels of Luvox are 100 times higher than serum levels. Fifteen teenagers recently died at a high school in Littleton, Colorado when two of these teenagers were accused of perpetrating a mass murder by going on a shooting spree. According to the news, thirteen children were murdered and then the two aggressors turned the guns on themselves and committed suicide. At least one of these teenagers was on the drug Luvox and was under psychiatric care.

Susan Pare, President for the Center for Health Action, stated the following conclusion: "Based upon conclusive evidence that fluoride causes cancer in laboratory animals and coupled with the fact that recent federal and international studies show that water fluoridation does not reduce tooth decay, it’s a mystery to us why fluoridation is still being practiced and promoted."

Head of Preventive Dentistry at the University of Toronto, also a spokesman for the Canadian Dental Association for more than 12 years, Dr. Hardy Limeback, DDS, Ph.D., has announced that he no longer supports the fluoridation of drinking water. Dr. Limeback also stated that fluoride accumulates in the bones and that more money is spent treating the problems arising from dental fluorosis than would have been saved from the reduced decay, if there was reduced decay.

I hope you are now convinced or at least have seen enough to raise questions in your own mind to find more information for yourself on the dangers of fluoridation" (end of article)

Can you say FILTERED WATER???
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 00:35

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

I'm a recovering coke addict.
lol So ya ain't gotta tell me bout dehydration with that. I used to pee only twice a day and it would be dark yellow lol As for my teeth, omg thats another story. I hate that gritty feeling..eck.

Maybe we should just be happy that they're not adding their original secret ingredint to coke anymore.....cocaine....LoL Not that any of us is drinking it, I'm just saying since thats worse then the acid in it