Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default how much weight loss???

i was wondering,whats the average weight loss one might expect from a week in induction??coz im tryin to compare it with this 1week diet by Dr.Perrone ..i dunno if i should do that first then go start induction after or go straight ahead with induction....sorry,about the confusion i jsut dunno what might give me a quick start after carb bingeing for a week and a day now.......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 00:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

nicole, these are the "straight goods".

Any plan that does not involve carb binging and helps you to settle into a permanent life-style change/choice is the right one.

Generally whan starting a low carb plan like Atkins or PP, you can expect a loss of 10% of the weight you want to lose in the first two weeks.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 04:17

Plan: Atkins 9/29/02 Somersize 4/4/03
Stats: 26/22/10
BF:57%/46%/25%
Progress: 25%

The first week of Induction I lost 6 pounds. I'm beginning my 12th day and so far have lost a total of 9 pounds. HTH
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 05:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Using NiNiDo's example of a 100 pound goal, 10% of weight loss during the first two weeks would be 10 pounds, so a 9 pound loss is pretty close to right on the money.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:

thanks for the info.ill be keeping that in mind...btw,though i havent tried your recipes yet..im plannin to do so after i get ryt passed through my induction phase...that is, if there are recipes (desserts)etc...safe for induction
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Post weight losses on induction

I think that weight losses on induction are going to vary with the individual. I started out at 315#, my goal weight is 160#,a loss of 155#, and I lost 14# on my first week of Induction, so almost 10%. That is going to vary with what foods are eaten, salt/nitrates in those foods, drinking enough water, exercise level... as you can see there are quite a few influencing factors. And you might experience side effects at first, as your body detoxes from all the carbs. Headaches are not unusual, and stomach upsets, are what I experienced... be SURE and drink AT LEAST 2 quarts of water per day, if not more. I want to welcome you to the forum, and wish you luck in your journey... feel free to ask any questions, and also search prior posts for info... there is a wealth of info on this forum~ Ciao for now~
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 21:15

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 213.5/170.5/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I lost 3 1/2 pounds during 2 weeks of induction (less than the 10% thing), which discouraged me a bit, but losing 3 1/2 pounds is better than gaining 3 1/2 pounds, or losing 0 pounds. I tell myself it's not about quick weight loss. Rather, it's about changing my WOE for life. It's about avoiding adult onset diabetes, which my mom has. It's about finally ridding myself of all those sugar cravings. It's about increased energy. I've now stuck it out for 5 weeks, I feel great, and it just keeps getting easier and easier to eat this way. And I've now lost a total of 6 pounds. I'd say a little over a pound a week is not bad, not bad at all! So I guess my point is, even if you don't lose 10% during induction, LCing may be just the ticket. It sure feels like it for me!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 00:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 225/222/190 Male 6 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Also keep in mind, though you may slow or not loose weight, you should still be loosing that body fat. I've been LCing for a month and a half now, and although I've lost 18 pounds, ALL of that was in the first month. However, even though I'm not loosing now, I have gone down 2! pant sizes. Pretty crazy when you think about it. Try not to rely on the scale too much. In protein power it suggests going thru your old clothes and finding that pair of pants that hasn't fit in such a long time. Try them on now and then, you will see that they begin to feel less snug. Just don't go crazy and try them on everyday
This really does help for those frustrated at not loosing. I was getting (slightly) frustrated, untill I pulled out some pants I hadn't worn in 5 years, and they slipped right on. Hell they are almost loose!
Good luck on your new way of life,
-Chad
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 02:13

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi Nicole,
I've just finished my first week on induction, I've lost 2lbs. I'm VERY pleased cos I only want to lose 10lbs overall to get down to my pre-having kids size.
I'd been on a low-fat diet previous to Atkins and lost 12lbs but was stuck on a plateau for months, was eating practically nothing and exercising hard.
What I have noticed more than anything else since starting Atkins is how flat and tight my stomach feels, therefore my clothes are looser already.
Ali
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 06:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Smile

I was getting on this morning to ask again for help. I was feeling very discouraged I have been on Atkins for a week and a day. I lost 3 pounds in the first 4 days and was feeling great Then I got my monthly visiter and gained back 2 Which is expected, but thought that would come back off when done and has'nt. I have been trying so hard and was getting upset until I read this thread.
After reading everyones replys I KNOW that we can do it. I did not miss my usual chocolate cravings and cramps. I enjoy waking up after finally being able to sleep. I love the way I am not tired through out the day, and my hypoglycemic episodes are gone.
What a wonderful way of life! Even after less than 2 weeks. So I figured even if the weight loss is S L O W the other effects of low carbing make up for it.
I figure I'll give myself a pat on the back for the 1 pound I lost and enjoy the other benefits.
You should do the same and keep up the good work!

Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 11:21

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 270/245/145
BF:
Progress: 20%

I want to lose a little over 100 pounds. The first two weeks on induction I lost 10 pounds. I started Atkins' 7-27-02 and so far have lost 30 pounds. I stalled for 4 weeks and last week I finally lost the other 5 to make a total loss of 30 pounds since starting. The way I broke my stall was to go off program for a day and back to induction. It worked for me, maybe it will work for you.