Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 19:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/188/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default during induction, what do.did u eat?

did anyone eat anything fancy during induction......i usually just do the basics....protein shakes, chciken baked, fish(baked),and boy does it get boring...oh and tuna.....broccoli, greens, salad, i just wandered did anyone have any special recipes to help me along.....

is there anything i can do with the heavy cream and something else to curb the sweet tooth or simply for a treat? thank you......

what usually helps for you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 20:02

BF:

just found a few recipes on this site........but i'm really interestedin quick ideas that i can use with tofu or heavy cream and splenda!!!!!!! i know in a few days that sweet tooth will rear its ugly head.....just preparing in advance.

thanks
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 22:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/217/150
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default some ideas!

These are two of my favorites when I'm really needing something sweet.
Sugar free Jello Pudding made with a cup or so whipping cream and a cup of water. Or less whipping cream and add cream cheese to it.
Low carb cheese cake! 16 oz cream cheese, 4 eggs, two spoonfuls of all natural peanut butter, 17 packets Splenda and some vanilla extract. Bake it at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. Let it sit overnight in the fridge and it firms up perfectly. Most of mine never makes it that long, though.
hope that helps
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 07:21
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

During induction really try to leave sweet things alone. Your body is going through withdrawal and you don't want to prolong the agony. In addition for the true carbo addict too many "fake" sugars can cause cravings. Just something to watch out for.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 10:33

BF:

thanks zuleika and melinda.......i havnt had the cravings yet but its just the second day.....im anticipating my feelings in the next 5 days.....maybe i should make the jello pudding just in case.......
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Post Induction No-no;s

You will find that the more you are able to follow induction as Atkins suggests, the better results that you will have. The wanting something sweet, is a side effect of your body detoxxing off of carbs.... in the first few days of induction, i would have killed for a candy bar! I got headaches from hell,and stomach upsets and etc., but I knew it was simply withdrawals so to speak, off something that was not good for me, and showed me just how much of an addiction I had to carbs. Click Here for Induction Rules Click Here for Successful Weight Loss on Induction
Click Here for Step-to-Step Induction Approach All of this and much more can be found on Atkins site: Atkins website There are reasons why Atkins says certain foods are not allowed, and must not be eaten on induction. Staying away from the sweet stuff during induction even if it is artificially sweetened, is of major importance, as you are trying to break your body's dependence on carbs... hope this all made sense to you~ and that it helps you out. I don't know if you own the book, or how long since you have read it, but sometimes a refresher course will help gain perspective. Hope ya have good luck with your journey~ Ciao~ for now~
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:48

BF:

thank you so much suze for the links..im in the process of unpacking from moving and my book is still packed......the links have helped me to refresh tremendously....printed it out..thank you....now im on my way to the grocery store.....time to get busy. this is my second day and i am not sure if my fat/carb/protein ratios are in tact. ..

after maybe thursday can someone check my online journal and tell me if they are in proportion to each other.

it's like im going thru this alone when im home. its a big secret in my house because everyone wants to tell me the danger of lc'ing....and im the only one without diabetes, high blood pressure......everyone else is diabetic and have high blood pressure....i'm just trying to avoid all of that and be healthy and happy....

am i so wrong for that?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:09

Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

One thing that I made last time I was on atkins was crepes... I tookd a couple eggs.. mixed in some protein powder and some splenda... mixed it together and made a really thin omlette. It was good for a change.. still eggs but disguised...

I also eat alot of left overs for breaky.. you don't have to eat eggs and bacon, you can have a left over burger pattie, pork chop etc...

happy low carbing..
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:27
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

During induction for me it was/is very important to have snacks available.

If you are full you can get past the cravings!

Also, I make a sauce for chicken to taste using about an oz of heavy cream and an oz of cream cheese - sprinkle some parm cheese and salt and pepper and it really fills me up.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:41

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I checked those links you posted Suze, and Dr Atkins says it's alright to use Sucralose (Splenda) on induction. So I guess it's one of those Your Milage May Vary situation.

So here is something else you can do Mia with just whipped cream and Splenda (and a little vanilla extract)... ICE CREAM.

Tried that yesterday and it was scrumptious. I used a little (half- pint) non-electrical inexpensive ice cream maker. It made terrific ice-cream.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:46
Registered Member

Default Me AGAIN heheheh

Miaelan I understand about induction, trust me... I been on it almost 4 weeks. I have never kept track of anything... why? Because I feel that I am eating according to Induction "rules", I don't overeat, and I place my emphasis on meats,eggs,cheeses, and the salad I am allowed to have...this works for me.And I drink over a gallon of water a day, but that is what works for me, personal experimentation with LC'ing in the past has showed me that the more H2o I drink, the faster I lose. I find as I get farther along on this, even the idea of sweets, is a total turnoff- even tho I have allowed myself diet soda, after 2 wks, and then last week when I seen that they finally had diet vanilla coke out! I loved the original, use to have them made for me at Sonic, and the old fashioned drug store they use to have here.I don't drink diet sodas as a regular thing, I don't like the idea of aspartame...ANYHOW... that is my little sidetracking, and I keep that to a minimum... here are some things I will have for snacks: take a deli-sliced piece of roast beef,turkey,chicken..etc., and I smear a thin layer of cream cheese on it, roll it up and eat it...I like it cold,but I guess it would be ok heated as well.,or regular cheese instead of cream, again rolled up and eaten.Oops...sorry but I am going to have to finish this later as KaeLyn (our who'll be 1 yr. old Thursday.) just woke up from her nap earlier than what I thought she would...and btw, there are always going to be naysayers against low carbing.....ask them...do you think my being overweight like I am, is any healthier for me? Ciao for now~
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:48

Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

If you don't have an ice cream maker I also have used a frozen cup, the ones with the water in it... just put the whipped cream with splenda and vanilla or any flavoring and put in the freezer for about 30 mins... stir it up with a spoon and fake ice cream.

I have an electric ice cream maker but it takes up to much room in my freezer so I never have it frozen and ready when Im in need for something sweet..
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:52
Registered Member

Arrow Splenda on Induction

Here is what Atkins says about splenda on induction:

You must not:

Use more than three packets of sucralose (Splenda) daily. (More and more products are being made with Splenda so if you use any, don't forget to include those grams in your tally.)

So even though it IS ALLOWED on induction,the limit is 3 packets.
This information is on his website.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 16:28

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have an electric ice cream maker but it takes up to much room in my freezer so I never have it frozen and ready when Im in need for something sweet..

That's why I like my little ice-cream maker, it's the size of a cup. It's doesn't take much room and its small capacity insures I don't pig out

As for the nay-sayers.....arm yourself ! With knowledge that is

check out : http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ - you'll find lots of good information and in a more hodge podge fashion this forum here on lowcarber .org http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...hp?s=&forumid=4

Believe me. Most nay-sayers are only parotting stuff they read in popular magazines or heard from clueless people....and yes that includes some doctors. Once you start explaining to them exactly what happens when you eat carbs, how your body reacts, how insulin resistances and ultimately diabetes develop, they will shut up. Because just like parrots, they have a limited vocabulary. Once you slap down their feeble (i read it somewhere) arguments with solid facts (quote studies at them!), they have no choice to either agree or just at least stop bugging you.

I've basically managed to turn everyone I know (friends, family and office worker) into converts. Nothing beats having the facts !
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 12:41
Registered Member

Stats: 150/124/125 Female 5"
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default suzie_c

I keep a gallon of spring water at my desk. I work 830-5pm The girls here think I am nuts.. however, lets see what they say when I start dropping weight. I am on my second day.