Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 10:09

Plan: Don't know any
Stats: 265/265/165
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default where can I find a list of low carbohydrate foods?

I'm posting here for my girlfriend who wants to start a low carbohydrate diet. Where can we find a list of foods that are low in carbohydrates?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 10:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

You can find the list of allowed foods in any of the lc diet boos. I also have a cheat sheet of the CAD diet with allowed foods. I will e-mail it to you if you give me your e-mail. The foods on this list are generally allowed on all of the other LC plans.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 10:29

Plan: Don't know any
Stats: 265/265/165
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default e-mail address

crypticfreak~msn.com
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Over to the right of this screen, under quick links there are two links that I think you should take a look at:

Which low-carb plan is right for me?
Carbohydrate Counter

"low" carbohydrate means different things to different people on the different diet plans. Take a look at those sites, as well as a few of the plan sites:

www.atkinscenter.com
www.carbohydrateaddicts.com
www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com
www.eatprotein.com

Just to name a few! Feel free to ask any questions, someone here should be able to answer.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 13:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Very good advice above. I'd strongly advise against just winging it with low carb. Your girlfriend should choose a plan, buy the book (or borrow one from the library) and read up before just jumping in. The books explain the plan and give fairly complete lists of foods to eat and foods to avoid. They also contain a lot more information than just what to eat or not eat...there's the explanation for why low carbing works and sections on supplements that you may or may not need depending on your individual situation.
Until your girlfriend chooses a plan, a good place to start would be to simply cut out sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes and anything with flour in it and go from there.
The websites that Talon gave would also provide much information and help with making an informed choice as to which plan your girlfriend thinks she can live with.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/122/115
BF:25%
Progress: 70%
Default Re: where can I find a list of low carbohydrate foods?

Quote:
Originally posted by crypticfre
I'm posting here for my girlfriend who wants to start a low carbohydrate diet. Where can we find a list of foods that are low in carbohydrates?

Hello
I use a carb counter booklet, Atkins has one that is sold in most book stores and only cost me about five bucks. Pocket or purse size too, if you need quick reference in the gocery store or what have you. Tell your girlfriend good luck, Zima
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 21:31
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Carb Count Book

I have found having a good food count book is very helpful, especially in the beginning until you really know the counts of the foods you generally eat. And even after that, it is helpful to have one to check out new foods.

The absolute best food count book I have found is The Complete Book of Food Counts by Corinne T. Netzer. It is $7.50 (paperback) at Barnes & Noble. It has become my bible for this WOE. It lists calories; sodium; carbohydrates; cholesterol; protein; fat; and fiber for thousands of foods including fast foods, prepared foods and just basic plain foods, fruits, meats, and veggies. For lots of them, especially veggies, it lists them by weight and by volume. If you want to know about it, it's probably in this book. I did a lot of research before I got it, and I have never been sorry.

A good place to get it is at www.half.com They have it really cheap (used) like $1.30 or so plus postage.

She really should read one of the plans' books. I read "The Protein Power Plan" and The Protein Power LifePlan" by the Drs. Eades. It is very helpful. Especially the PP LifePlan one. It explains what grains, etc. do to us...and why we really shouldn't eat them.

You can get this book at half.com too...or from your local library.

Paris