Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/249/220
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Feel Great, but a little bored with eggs.

Hi,.. First let me say,..this forum is great. Glad I found it.

I am on day four of ATKINS,.. (induction, of course). I will most likely be on this phase for awhile,.. I have about 60 pounds to lose.

I feel great,.. not hungry,..and am starting to feel that little burst of extra energy come back. The only problem at the moment is the food. Mainly breakfast. I like eggs and cheese,..but pleeese. What are some easy alternatives. I work and am unable to prepare exotic meals... it must be pretty easy. Anyone have any neat, easy food ideas for the induction period.

Don't get me wrong,..I am not giving up,..I just want to make the meals a little more interesting (espcially breakfast).. Are the ATKINS breakfast bars allowed during induction,..and are they anygood?
Also,.. can I have Vienna Sausages,.. and are packaged lunchmeats with sodium nitrate ok?

Thanks for all the help...this site is fantastic.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:21

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi ChuckP:

I'm not overly fond of eggs, either. Lots of times, I eat leftovers from the night before--roast chicken, etc. Most of the time, that sounds WAY better than an egg and is fast and easy.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Judy,..I may try that. It's just hard, for me, to think of chicken and such for breakfast.. I always think,..cereal, toast, muffins, etc,.. and of course they are out of the question.

But then,.. this should be a new way of "thinking" and eating.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:56

BF:

OK, so how about this one?

Even though it's eggs, an omelette with a bit of tomato, onion, jalapenos, (or salsa) and avocado also does it for me. I think it's the blandness of breakfast choices that's the worst for me.

After Induction things get much easier--look in the breakfast section under recipes and be sure to try the mock danish--it's great!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:59

BF:

Sorry, Chuck, but I forgot to tell you...

As well as the recipes on this forum, the Atkins site has a great recipe section. It's www.atkinscenter.com. There are lots of recipes that are good for Induction, as well as when you're ready to move on.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Judy,...

You are the second person today to mention the MOCK DANISH. mUST BE PRETTY GOOD. Is it allowed on ATKINS iNDUCTION? and,.. What about pork rinds,..bot for breakfast,..but in general,.. during induction.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 10:07

BF:

Most of the threads I've read recommend saving the mock danish for after Induction to keep your sweet tooth under control, but if you simply can't figure out anything else that satisfies you, it's probably ok to just eat a bit of it to get you through the morning. Maybe a senior member could comment??

I don't think pork rinds have any carbs at all or maybe 1 per serving at most, so you should be ok. Personally, I have two bags (plain and hot) in my cabinet, but I can't quite get past the texture once the crunch is gone and the aftertaste.

There's a thread in the Atkins section about dips to go with the pork rinds, so you may want to check it out.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 10:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up

My only advice, per te Mock Danish -- splurge & use Splenda instead of SweetnLow.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 10:55
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

During Induction I did eat the mock danish, probably one every other day, and I still lost weight. I didn't know it wasn't recommended then. I think this is one of those areas where YMMV. It did not trigger any sugar cravings for me and it tasted so good I felt like I was getting away with something. Good luck to you on your low carb journey.
asugar
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 11:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/133.5/125
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Chuck,

One thing I love to have for breakfast (but its slightly expensive so I can't have it every day) is smoked salmon. I also got sick of eggs and desperately searched for something else. You can buy individual sized packages of smoked salmon, and then just add some sort of flavoring (I usually add dried dill) to some mayo, and it is really very tasty. AND NOT EGGS!

I also tried making a crustless quiche this week, and was very pleased with how it came out. Even though I'm sick of eggs, somehow this was different and more savory. And the nicest part is that you can make it for dinner one night and then have the leftovers for breakfast later in the week.

Good luck!

kiwi
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 17:08

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Exclamation Breakfast

Hi Chuck, I eat Marlaine's quiche for breakfast. Look under breakfast ideas. I reduce the spinach and add mushrooms and bacon. Really, really good. No crust, just bake in muffin tins. Nancy