Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:54

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default calculating cooked values from raw

I'm doing a lot more serious cooking from basics at the moment (the joys of suddenly being made redundant!) and am unsure of how to calculate carb, calorie, fat etc values for dishes from raw ingredients.
For exmple, currently simmering on the stove is a vast seething cauldron of rendang, a malaysian beef and coconut stew. The main calorie-containing ingredients when raw are:
2 kilos of stewing steak
1.6 litres coconut milk
200 g red pepper
300 g onion
120 g resh ginger.

All other ingredients are dry spices - cloves, chillis, lime leaves, cinnamon stick, etc

My calorie counter gives a value for stewing steak, lean and fat, stewed ie already cooked. How do I reconcile this with values for raw ingredients? Basically, this cooks down into a semi-solid meat sludge - it simmers for 4 hours.
I notice that quite a lot of foods have a different carb count when cooked from raw, but there are lots of different ways of cooking. What if the book says "Boiled" for something (in this case, cabbage) and I microwaved it then baked it into a meatloaf.
I'd be happy with a url pointing me in the direction of more reading.
Zan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 12:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

When I calculate recipes, I use the raw counts and then divide by the number of servings. The count on vegetables does change when cooked, but it's because they lose moisture content and shrink. I'm not an expert in this, but I don't believe that carbs or protein can disappear in the cooking. They only become denser. If you are cooking a piece of meat, the fat content can change because fat will melt away and be left in the pan.

HTH,

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 07:08

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default aha!

Thank you Karen
Will try applying that concept. Another problem I had was the coconut milk. It came in tins with the content by volume, ie, millilitres. But all the carb counts I can find are by gram. Should one infer that they are equating millilitre with gram? one thousandth of a litre with one thousandth of a kilo? What about the water content, which is surely included in the volume measurement?
Zan
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-02, 15:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But all the carb counts I can find are by gram.

Do you mean that the coconut milk is measured by grams?

Here's the info from the database in Low-Carb Tools at the top of the page. An excellent database I might add.

For 1 cup of canned coconut milk which = 240 ml:

Total Carbohydrates 6.35 g
Dietary Fiber 0.00 g
Total Protein 4.57 g
Total Calories 445.22
Total Fat 48.21 g

Karen