Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 08:50

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Why am I sweating so much lately?

I have been low carbing for over a month. I exersize for two hours 5 days a week. This is some thing that recently started happening , normally I don't sweat much , I typically get cold easily,while most people are comfortable , I'm freezing . Well I'm still like that & my hands & feet are like ice cubes.
Well I noticed lately , that I am waking up in a cold sweat even though I had a good night sleep. When I exersize I am sweating like crazy. Which is unusual , because it's not even hot any more. I go walking in the mornings & it's between 70 to 80 degrees, (oh I live in south Texas) . Last year when we went to Los Vegas it was in the 100's & I didn't even break a sweat , I thought was about 80 degrees until I heard it on the news I couldn't believe it.
Well what's so annoying is that I'm sweating & it's making me cold. Plus I might have BO,, because I don't shower before my workout but afterwards.
Could it be from my vitamins? I just recently started taking Green Tea supplements, for energy. Here's what I take every day:Women's One a day, B 100 complex, E , Calcium citrate, Magnesuim, Chromium Picolinate, Gynema Slyvestre, Llysine, & L Glutamine & Zinc. Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks,
Josie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:21
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I don't know about the sweats but how much zinc are you taking? You should be getting between 50-100mg a day for cold feet and hands.

You might have a potassium deficiency. Do you get muscle cramps? Potassium, salt, and water work in balance. Maybe Herb Nurse has more input.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 10:40

BF:
Question Sweaty

I take about 65mg of zinc. I don't get that many muscle cramps unless I slept on my arm wrong ,then my arm hurts. I don't take potassium, I wonder if I should. I take so many as is.

josie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 12:22
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Many members find they need potassium. I take it as a regular supplement. It might just be that your body is getting rid of impurities through sweating and it will subside.

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 14:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Being in ketosis and burning fat is an EXOTHERMIC process. That is, it gives off heat. And some supplements can even exaggerate that.

You may also have changed the rate of your metabolism with all the exercise and need the cooling down that sweating creates.

You should up your carbs and learn to eat at a higher level to slow down the loss for pre-maintenance and Maintenance.

Also, you may want to revise your target weight when you find that you are SMALLER now than at the same weight on the way up. After all, it's how we look and feel that matters, not the dumb number on some highly inaccurate "metal monster".

#6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 17:25
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally posted by Josiemk
<b>Could it be from my vitamins? I just recently started taking Green Tea supplements, for energy. Here's what I take every day:Women's One a day, B 100 complex, E , Calcium citrate, Magnesuim, Chromium Picolinate, Gynema Slyvestre, Llysine, & L Glutamine & Zinc. Just wondering if this is normal.</b>

Why are you taking gynema sylvestre? This herb can lower blood insulin levels and if you are already low carbing then you might be suffering the side effect of low blood sugar. Since you are exercising for two hours 5 days a week you might need to either quit taking the Gynema Sylvestre or increase your carbs.

Also there is a warning involved with people taking chromium picolinate and low blood sugar too.

If it persists you need to see a doctor.

HN
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 08:48

BF:
Default A few more Questions

I'm taking Gymenma Slyvestre because I'm addicted to sugar mainly chocolate. I don't take it in the morning but in after noon & evenings, when I still get a little craving.
I wonder if I should stop Chromium Picolinate. I take it to keep my cholestrol down & fight fat?
And could I still be in Ketosis, my weight loss has slowed down?
We just got a cold front in yesterday so I didn't sweat as much, I hope this doesn't continue , because I don't want to dehydrate.
Tofi, my original goal weight was 110 but that is no longer my goal , I just want to flatten my belly because the lower part still pouches out. I'm guessing I just have a few more to go.

thanks,
Josie
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:24
Lover of Life

BF:

Josiemk

Just be careful the combination of both supplements can greatly affect your blood glucose levels. LCing already has that effect so be extremely careful.

Take care

HN
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 09:44

BF:
Default Herb Nurse

What type of affects areyou talking about. Is it dangerous?

Josie
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 12:14
Lover of Life

BF:

Eating LC already helps to bring you blood insulin level down you just need to be careful that you don't lower your blood sugar too much.

I did that several years ago when I was on a low fat diet, and I wasn't eating enough carbs. On my way to work I felt really disoriented, started getting cold sweats and had to pull off to the side of the road.

When I finally got to work, I tested my blood sugar level it was 35, normal is 75-120. I worked in a pharmacy and was able to grab some glucose tablets off the shelf and eat a few. I felt better within an hour, but it was very scarey.

I didn't mean to alarm you, I just wanted you to be aware of it.

Take care!

HN
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 15:06
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Maybe you should try L-carnitine and L-glutamine for the cravings. It sounds like it would be a lot safer for you.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 17:32

BF:
Default Thanks

Does L-carnitine lower your blood sugar? I'm already taking L-glutamine.

Josie
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 20:11
Finding the Pieces

BF:

L-carnitine and L-glutamine help with sugar craving. The diet lowers blood sugar levels naturally I don't think you should be taking a pill also to lower those levels. As HerbNurse said, it could be very dangerous. You could actually go into a coma. Just my opinion.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 13:09
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Default Josie

I see your in the home streatch. I take the L-cart too. I never have cravings, but I also take B- complex 100 and never have any kind of cravings at all. After taking that nasty pill neither will you. I found out about the ose's and will post the results below. Relax, you managed to make it this far without hurting yourself. If you really have concerns, go to your doctor. He can answer anything your concerned about. I call mine on the phone. If he seems concerned about what ever I am talking about, he tells me to come in. Getting upset will only make matters worse. Relax.

Amber
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 13:12
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Default Supplements

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=65482

This is the link to answer the qustion about the supplements I had. I hope it helps you too.

Amber