Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Question Increased Energy?

I've heard that some people who have done the Atkins diet develop an increased energy level which they never had. If that's true, how long does it take before you see if happen. I've only been on it for 6 days, is it too soon for me? I'm tired all the time which was another reason I wanted to try this plan aside from the fact that I want to lose weight and start eating healthier.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 15:17

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Even and steady instead of dips and lows...

Personally, I've never experienced the "increased" energy level that others advertise. What I have noticed is that I no longer experience "decreased" energy levels.

Before adopting a low-carbohydrate lifestyle, I used to crash (get very tired) around mid-mornings and mid-afternoons. I now know that this is due to my blood sugar spiking after a high-carbohydrate breakfast and/or lunch, and then plunging afterwards.

So my advice is not to look for a burst of energy, but to see if your energy maintains itself throughout your day.

-G.

p.s. Be sure that you don't skip meals, and that your caloric intake is reasonable for your weight and activity level.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 15:49

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I too, never got what I would call a burst of energy. Although it was over 4 years ago that I started, so maybe I have forgotten. But I lost the shaky, "got to eat" desperation that used to strike after carbs. I do notice that if I eat sugar or starches now, I feel dragged out an bloated so maybe I just can't remember.

I think it is still too early for you to expect this. Besides, it may creep up on you and you will realize that you have been feeling better for a while, rather than a sudden event. But it will probably begin in the third week.

If you are horrible tired while on Induction, you may have to add some more salad and/or veggies. A mere 5 grams of carb more can make a huge difference. And some people DO need more that 20 grams of carb to feel well. Everyone is different.

#4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 15:54

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

No burst of energy for me, either, but I'm only on day 16. What I did get, though, is almost no hunger or cravings and a great feeling for having lost 10 lbs.

YEA!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 13:56

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I got the burst of energy on day 3 of induction and it hasn't stopped since March! It is absolutely wonderful..for the first time i'm sleeping through the night..only need 6 hours sleep to feel fullfilled..have a ton of energy to workout at 5am...so on and so on...

It's been wonderful
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 14:20

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Yank in NC -

I am with everyone else on the board (except Baconbabe).... no major burst of energy here. But I don't get the "slumps" in my day anymore and I find that I stay more focused at work. So even though there have been no major increased energy levels, I am getting more done at home and work - so that's a plus!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 15:32

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

I felt a lack of energy the first six weeks and finally started taking Chromiun Picolate (spelling?), L-carnitine and heavier multiple vitamins. It seems to help. Check the book DANDR for the dosages. It's also available somewhere on the Atkins website.

Katie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 20:45

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%

I didn't get an energy burst, but I do feel more sustained energy throughout the day. One thing that HAS increased my overall energy level is EXERCISE! I used to be a total couch potato, and also a very depressed person. I make sure to get some exercise at least 6 days a week, whether it's the gym, pilates at home or walking to and from work, on a good day it's all of the above. I find that I need less sleep and some days I wake up at 6am and if it's nice and sunny, I just can't bear to stay in bed--I HAVE to get up and do something! What a change from before!
Of course with the winter coming, it is harder to get out of bed when it's cold and dark outside...any suggestions? I bought a stereo so I have music to listen to in the morning, that helps, but do any of you long-time LCers have any great tips to battle Seasonal Affective Disorder? Thanks
Tuna Marie
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 13:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I can't honestly say I've experienced any burst of energy and I've been low carbing for about 18 months now. What I have noticed is that I don't get that feeling in the afternoon like I REALLY need a nap.
My energy levels are far better than they were when I started. Back then, I barely had enough energy to make it through a day of work let alone make dinner and keep up the house. I still get tired at the end of the day, but my energy levels are much more constant and I don't have that absolutely bone tired feeling anymore and I definitely get a lot more done during an average day.
Now that I think about it, last winter wasn't as bad as far as SAD goes. Not that it affects me severely, but those long winter months without sun definitely impact my energy levels.
I'm not a morning person and I doubt that I ever will be. Getting up early is difficult for me at any time. My motto was and still is, "If God had meant for me to see the sunrise, He would have scheduled it later in the day." Even my kids know not to bug mom in the morning until I've had a cup of coffee and a chance to wake up and it doesn't help that my youngest daughter not only gets up with the roosters, she's usually the one waking up the roosters! LOL
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 21:05

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking energy

Hi Yank!! After a few weeks your energy should pick up. Best part is the lack of cravings. Make sure that you are eating enough. I have to remind myself to eat and not skip meals. You'll feel alot better soon.

My chronic heartburn is completly gone and I am sleeping much better than I have in years.
Good luck and hang in there! Nancy
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 06:08

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi Yank in NC

This is my 6th day on Atkins and by the end of the day I'm totally exhausted too. I just go to bed and I haven't slept so well in years.
No increase in energy that everyone is talking about.
On my 1st and 2nd days of this diet I was so hungry I very nearly gave up. I was determined though and although I'm still very tired by 9pm my hunger gravings aren't as bad. They are still there though....infact I had my lunch an hour ago and I'm starting to feel hungry again already !!

Alibubble
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 07:26

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Smile Energy

Thanks everyone for all your posts. I read every one of them and can definitely relate to several. I'm now on my 11th day of L Cing and am so glad that the cravings have subsided. It's a wonderful feeling not automatically wanting something sweet after every single meal! I'm actually satisfied!

As far as the energy "burst", I still have not quite had that but I do feel less tired. There were days when I would sit at my desk in the afternoon and actually feel my eyes getting heavy. What an awful feeling to know I still had several hours to go and not know if I was going to make it or not!!!

So far so good. I love L cing so far.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 07:32
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

For those of you who feel loss of energy/increased cravings in the winter feel free to visit the SAD forum. You can post your questions and find a lot of help. We need you!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 21:00

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 213.5/170.5/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

The first week I felt downright crappy. In fact, a couple of days when I was exercising I thought I was going to hurl. After that, I started feeling better, but no burst. Suddenly, two days ago, after 5 weeks of LCing, I got the burst! Don't know if it's psychological, or physical (as a result of LCing and/or increased exercise), or a combo, but I'll take it, whatever the cause. I feel marvelous, up, both physically and mentally. I hope it sticks!

So, Yank, your burst may be right around the corner too!