Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 167.8/162.4/130
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question Does yogurt fit into a LC diet?

I would like to try plain yogurt w/strawberries or raspberries for breakfast or a snack from time to time, but wasn't sure if it was ok or if it might cause weight gain or stall. Anyone know?

cindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 07:52

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Since everyone's system reacts differently to foods, only you can tell if it will stall you or not.

Give it a try. If you find that it does effect you then stop eating it
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 07:55

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

It's definitely a 'your mileage may vary' kind of food, but if you decide to try it, get plain, unsweetened, full fat yogurt. Read the label and avoid things like tapioca starch. The carbs given on the label will be about double what your body actually gets because the cultures eat the carbs in the fermentation process.

Add whatever you like: berries, nuts, fiber, protein powder, Splenda, LC syrups, etc.

My fave is choc protein powder and a shot of fiber. Tastes naughty and decadent and is good for when I need a heavy protein hit (50-60 g) but I don't feel like chewing a steak.

Cheers,

Friday
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 167.8/162.4/130
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default When you say fiber

What do you add for fiber? Also, where can you purchase chocolate protein powder? Walmart? Expensive?

I'm pretty happy with my WOE, but it would be nice to have a little more variety--in the form of small amounts of fruits, yogurt, etc.

cindy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 09:26

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

My Wal-Mart carries chocolate protein powder in at least two brands: Carb Solutions and EAS whey. They're cheaper than pre-mixed shakes. I think they're $8-12 for a cannister.

For the typical small container of yogurt, I'll add one scoop of EAS chocolate and a teaspoon of psyllium (Metamucil). Splenda is optional, and you might need a bit of water to keep the consistency nice. This gives about 35g of protein and 15 ish carbs before you subtract for the cultures. Minus the culture factor, you're looking at around 8-10g carbs. Not really an induction food, but certainly do-able in other plans or other stages of Atkins.

Good luck!

Friday
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 21:56

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Re: When you say fiber

Quote:
Originally posted by CNDYPRC
What do you add for fiber? Also, where can you purchase chocolate protein powder? Walmart? Expensive?

I'm pretty happy with my WOE, but it would be nice to have a little more variety--in the form of small amounts of fruits, yogurt, etc.

cindy

I sometimes add these little capsules (broken open and sprinkled on) of psyllium fiber to my yogurt.

You did not mentioon that I noticed what plan you are using. It might serve you to look at GO diet as it does allow some fruit, yogurt, and other little niceties! It's worth comparing anyway.

Jo
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 15:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/171/135
BF:39%/37%/30%
Progress: 18%

I haven't tried it myself, but Blue Bunny has a Splenda-sweetened yogurt on the market now. Supposed to be pretty good.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 10:58
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Thumbs up

The Blue Bunny Lite 85 yogurt sweetened with Splenda is wonderful !!!

For the protein powder...

I really like the Vanilla Ice Cream protein powder by Optimum Nutrition. It is a 100% Whey Protein. Tastes good. Easy to add flavorings and fruit to for a change. I get it at www.netrition.com I paid $28.99 for a 5 lb jug of the powder and that is cheap. It comes in chocolate too.

To get to the page for their Whey Protein Powder, go to:
http://www10.netrition.com/optimum_whey_page.html

One thing I really like about that site is: No matter the size of your order, the S&H charges are $4.95 and compared to what some sites charge that is really cheap.

I got my DaVinci Sugar Free Syrup at Netrition too (I think it was $7.95 a bottle). They are at:

http://www11.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=121

Again, because of the low S&H charges, you can really save some money by ordering a large quantity at one time. I got a whole case (12 - 750 ml bottles) of assorted flavors, along with the protein powder, and still only paid $4.95 S&H. And the syrup is heavy. I am in protein powder and syrups for a long time.

Of the ready made shakes, I like the Carb Solutions in a bottle, although I do not care for their Protein powder. I usually add flavoring or Sugar Free Syrups to the Carb Solutions Vanilla Shakes (otherwise they are pretty bland)…but the Cappucino one is good just like it is. I like the Chocolate as is too, or for a change I will add DaVinci SF Coconut, Cherry, Raspberry, Caramel, etc. syrup.

Paris