Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 16:22

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Question Finding appropriate number of carbs for successful workouts

Hi, all. I had a weird carb load last week that, strangely, resulted in two pounds lost, and a 1/2 in off my waist and another 1/2 in off my thighs (only places I measure).

Now, my carb load was "off schedule" and happened earlier in the week (birthday carb load LOL), but 4 days later I lost those pounds and inches----well, they chose that particular time frame to come off anyway. Now the drawback has been that I began totally dragging booty about 3-4 days after, and I mean BAD. AND, I began having EXCESSIVE hunger even though ketosis had kicked in full swing. I'm still hungry, and I upped my carbs today because the fatigue nearly ruined my cardio today, and I KNOW I wont EVEN make it through lower body and depletion tomorrow (btw, I do BFL, so I do that part of the body first, then the other part of the body depletion style right after).

Here's how it went down:

Wed: had sliver of birthday cake and ice-cream
Thurs: same

Both days I also ate "normal" low carb, but kept the carbs between 5-15g or so, with most of the time it being closer to 5-7g.

Results: Weight loss/inch loss
Drawbacks: SERIOUS fatigue and HUNGER that will not stop no matter what!!!

How do I go about finding the right number of carbs to allow me to lose weight, yet give me enough energy to get through my workouts, AND not have these INSANE hunger episodes!!!

Today I've eaten more---on purpose, to try and stop a potential binge from coming on and to ensure that I can do my workout tomorrow. I've had 1 Atkins LC muffin w/breakfast, same with lunch, and a snack when I felt like I was going to lose it and pull a chair up to the fridge.

This is SO messed up. BTW, I'm also trying to hold out carb loading until tomorrow so I can be back on the normal schedule again.

Help!! LOL I'm still hungry as heck and the meat and fat wasn't cutting it. WHERE do I begin with those carbs so it's not like this? I mean, I can handle a little fatigue, but this was more like not eating or sleeping for days then trying to workout hard----at least that's what it felt like (I didn't enjoy it at all).

Thanks...and sorry so long.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 10:43

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

J- of course you know that all kinds of things can cause fatigue, such as the stress of getting burglarized. For years my pattern has been - stress out=hunger =junk out. Maybe you too?
You are still working out a lot, right?
Here's an idea - throw in some extra carbs, CAD style, for one meal, on a big workout day. That would be basically a balanced meal, equal portions of protein, carb, and veggie with a big salad. Then do your workout or cardio after that.
You've seen what Lyle has written about carbs below 100g won't hurt weight loss if you are training hard - at least for lots of people. I'm not saying do it every day, but why not allow yourself do adapt to the situation and try things out. If that seems high, then cut it in half.
I'm also starting to watch the kcals and overall ratios a lot more than just carb grams.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 11:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug H
J- of course you know that all kinds of things can cause fatigue, such as the stress of getting burglarized. For years my pattern has been - stress out=hunger =junk out. Maybe you too?
You are still working out a lot, right?

Yeah... I think you're point is more than a possibility, and perhaps more of a probability. I think also the stress and resulting fatigue/aka stress-depression has made things 100% worse, but I think diet-lag has been a problem, too. I stayed on Atkins induction (20g carbs a day) for way too long (months) before upping them, then switching to CKD. I've read an awful lot on depression and dieting---associated mostly with EFFA's. Interesting topic. I've not taken any EFFA's (not enough fish in my diet, for sure, too!) for a couple of months due to the cost. THe ones I was taking (Atkins) was $17.99/bottle.

Quote:
I'm also starting to watch the kcals and overall ratios a lot more than just carb grams.

Yes, I do keep tabs on that, which is why I chose the 12 cals/lb/day on the CKD parameters chart. The first week when I used a higher calorie column on that chart every day, I swear I felt like a million bucks that week! I misread the chart---had no clue how to use it, then changed it the following week when someone pointed it out to me that I'd misread it. At that point things began to change.

Anyway, today I feel WAY fatigued! I JUST came off my carb up, and granted I didn't meet the 350g requirement yesterday, but STILL----I took in a lot of carbs all the same and haven't worked out yet. In fact, I'm getting ready to go to the gym for cardio and I'm praying I make it through that 20MAS. I don't think I'm supposed to feel like this after a carb up.

I'm going to splurge and get more of the EFFA supplements today and see if that helps. I'm sure it will take a lot of time, though, for me to see any results. I also used to eat a lot more tuna, but the sodium content had me concerned, so I stopped doing that....about two to three months ago.

Thanks Doug for the advice. I REALLY appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, are you the same Doug H. that posts on Lyle's board?????
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 17:27

BF:
Default Are you overtraining?

J- To your issue of not feeling good, I don't think we are supposed to feel lousy when eating right and working out. That's why I stopped the massive carbup and took a more moderate approach. There was something amiss. I know it's not cool to constantly change and tamper with these programs, but I figure we have to find out what works. You've invested what, a month now in CKD?

Another idea - take a week off from training. Maybe you are tired because, well, you are.

If you are feeling 'blue', look into getting some sAME. It's a terrific compound, works like a champ, perks up the serotonin without a prescription.

And yes, that's me over at Lyle's place.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 17:56

Default Re: Are you overtraining?

Quote:
J- To your issue of not feeling good, I don't think we are supposed to feel lousy when eating right and working out. That's why I stopped the massive carbup and took a more moderate approach. There was something amiss.

Without the carb up I feel even worse, though. Last week I didn't have many grams in my carb up at all because I ate a sliver of birthday cake and a small bowl of ice-cream for my birthday on day one and two---but no other carbs. I felt HORRIBLE all week! I mean, I was WAY weak...even during my cardio.

Quote:
I know it's not cool to constantly change and tamper with these programs, but I figure we have to find out what works. You've invested what, a month now in CKD?

Three weeks on CKD, and I've only been doing serious weight training for just under 6wks, so I know it's not that.

Quote:
If you are feeling 'blue', look into getting some sAME. It's a terrific compound, works like a champ, perks up the serotonin without a prescription.

sAME? What's that, and where do they sell it? I'm not sure what's causing the blahs, but it sucks big time.

Quote:
And yes, that's me over at Lyle's place.

GREAT!!! I'm glad to see a familiar face there!!

#6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 10:46

BF:
Default same

J- here's a link to data on same. Pronounced sam-ee. Available at your local pharm usually. Also good for liver function, arthritis, as well as mood. No discernible side effects.

www.lef.org/prod_hp/php120.html
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 11:50

Default Re: same

Quote:
J- here's a link to data on same. Pronounced sam-ee. Available at your local pharm usually. Also good for liver function, arthritis, as well as mood. No discernible side effects.

www.lef.org/prod_hp/php120.html

Thanks, Doug! It'll be a couple of weeks before I can afford it, though, but it sounds interesting----almost like an anti-oxidant!

I appreciate the heads-up on this one. Another friend of mine who posts on this board also sent me an ad for it.

#8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Combo of PP & CKD
Stats: 380/380/195 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Take a week off

I agree with doug Jaliah...I took about a 1 1/2 weeks off becauase I was so depressed and bored with everything. So I took time off from weight training and my ckd eating plan. I pretty much ate what I wanted to (but tried to keep it close to every 3 hours) and I've actually lost inches in my waist, calfs and chest. I think the best thing for me, and probably you is to switch up as often as possible to keep the body confused..lol.

I start back training on Friday, maybe Thursday...and I can't wait.

Oh yeah..how did you make it through the storm...we got a lot of bad weather up here a few days ago too.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 12:00

Default Re: Take a week off

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrelle
I agree with doug Jaliah...I took about a 1 1/2 weeks off becauase I was so depressed and bored with everything. So I took time off from weight training and my ckd eating plan. I pretty much ate what I wanted to (but tried to keep it close to every 3 hours) and I've actually lost inches in my waist, calfs and chest. I think the best thing for me, and probably you is to switch up as often as possible to keep the body confused..lol.

I start back training on Friday, maybe Thursday...and I can't wait.

Oh yeah..how did you make it through the storm...we got a lot of bad weather up here a few days ago too.

Hi, Tyrelle:

We only got the outer edges of Lili, so other than our beaches being under water, street flooding and some really cool wind... all's okay here. Thanks for asking!

If I'd been weight training a long time, yes, I would consider taking a week off, but I've been doing it under 8 weeks, so that would be WAY counter-productive right now. I backed off dance practice over the last week, though, like by half. And Atkins isn't like CKD, though, so just changing to a plan where I carb up should actually be good.

I think it may be more stress than anything. With the hurricanes causing diminished paychecks due to lost days, and the burglary we had----which devasted us financially (they took our rent money, too)... I think the resulting stress and depression is what's kicking my butt.

Thanks for the concern, though.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 18:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default sorry to hear that

Just remember bad times do last all ways, but tough people do. I wish yall all the best.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 19:45

Default Re: sorry to hear that

Quote:
Just remember bad times do last all ways, but tough people do. I wish yall all the best.

Thanks Tyrelle, you're a sweetie. One day it will get better for us! LOL... been waiting a couple of years for that day, though. But we keep on keepin' on as best as we can.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 19:54
Registered Member

BF:

Edited to say: "..don't last..." ..lol

sooooryy.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 20:11

Quote:
Edited to say: "..don't last..." ..lol

sooooryy.

LOL.... thought you were sending a curse my way or something... just kidding!!

I understood what you meant.