Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 15:19

Plan: Opus
Stats: 205/205/180
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Another Carb Up Question.

I am doing a modified CKD with one carb up from Saturday morning until Sunday morning.
I have read several posts about the carb up and am still sort of unclear on in.
It is very important to eat something like skittles for the first carb meal?
Fruits not ok? Bread, Pasta, is?
What are some of the most common mistakes that people make when they are doing the carb up? I have worked very hard on staying in Ketosis and don't want to screw it up during the carb up.

PS- I am not doing the depletion workout, instead prefering my own training regimen.

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 16:12

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Hi, hreid:

I am by no means an expert on this---but aspire to one day be "good at it." LOL.

Have you bought the book yet?? It's got EVERYTHING in it you need to know. VERY helpful, if not essential.

One thing Lyle says in the book is that if you can't or don't want to do the depletion workout to do TKD instead of CKD. The workout is essential to CKD working. I didn't fully understand this until I read the book, btw. You just can't skip it.

If I were you, and I'm not of course..lol, I would get the book and go for the TKD, where you carb up ONLY immediately prior and immediately after your workout...no carb up days on weekends, etc.

Fruits are a no-no. And I've not read in full the whole TKD chapter...well, read it, but didn't "study" it, so I don't know if the sugary carbs are important for that or not, so i wont even speculate on that one.

Now, about ketosis: If you can fully carb up AND stay in ketosis the whole time----you'll be in guiness book of world records (or studied by NASA..LOL). You simply can't avoid getting knocked out of ketosis during a CKD carb up. TKD, I think you remain in, but not on CKD.

I probably wasn't much help, but it's a little bit to chew on and think about anyway.

Do get the book, though, because it spells everything out in detail---LOTS of detail!!!!

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 17:45

BF:

Thanks Jalilah.

I have read BodyOpus, but not the book by Lyle McDonald.

If I don't do a carb up then I am totally unable to workout. It is a pretty pitiful sight actually. I am doing a keto with 60%fat/40%protein/misc. carbs.

My carb up is only for a short period(Midday Sat.-Sunday morning) so I can survive and restore glycogen stores so I don't look and feel flat. Just trying to make sure that I am doing more good than harm with it.

Any more input would be appreciated.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 19:26

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

why no depletion workout and what are you doing in place of it?

If you arent fully depleteing the glycogen, then the idea of the standard CKD carb up goes to waste. If you still have muscle glycogen then all the carbs you eat during the carb up wont be rushed right to the muscles for superrecompensation and you will get spill over. The whole crux of CKD, maintaing or gaining muscle while losing fat is entirely dependant on you not having carbs, depleting muscle glycogen, then restoring it.

you may not follow Duchaines depletion workout but are you doing something to deplete the muscles glycogen?

I do an HST routine, full body 3 times a week, and on my carb up days I would go through my normal HST routine, then do 2-3 cycles of light weights, 15-20 reps till I couldnt stand. It wasnt duchaines depletion workout but it had the same effect.

back onto carb up no-nos. Anythign fructose or sucrose is usually not preffered except maybe pre depletion workout(assuming you do one hehe) Liquid carbs high GI the first couple meals then switch to lower GI foods by the end. Duchaine says you need to eat every 2 hours but I've read that it makes no differnce, so dont wake up every 2 hours to eat, just have a big carb meal before bed. no fat, very little fat, 70% carbs 15% protien 15% fat. I didnt stick to that my first few carb ups and I didnt have a good one till I did it right.

thats alls I can say
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 19:50

BF:

What is the difference in the carb up between a CKD and a TKD?

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 20:03

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

from what I understand TKD, targeted(?) Ketoisis Diet ditches the carb up for a mini carb up pre workout. 50(?) or so grams of carbs pre or post workout to restore muscle glycogen instead of the massive carb up on a ckd. The carbs wont knock you out of ketosis cause you will burn them up lifting. So a TKD has no carb up really, it happens before each workout.

Last edited by Beaver : Fri, Oct-04-02 at 20:08.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 22:12

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaver
from what I understand TKD, targeted(?) Ketoisis Diet ditches the carb up for a mini carb up pre workout. 50(?) or so grams of carbs pre or post workout to restore muscle glycogen instead of the massive carb up on a ckd. The carbs wont knock you out of ketosis cause you will burn them up lifting. So a TKD has no carb up really, it happens before each workout.

TKD is a carb up before and after the workout. One meal I think, and not huge whopping amounts of carbs either. At least that's my understanding from the book.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 15:25

Plan: CKD
Stats: 298/190/180
BF:
Progress: 92%

wait a sec, heh, I must be missing something. I'm doing a CKD style diet, but everytime I do a high intensity workout or cardio, I take about 30-40g's of maltodextrin post workout with protein and ALA to restore my muscle glycogen, but that gets used up right away and it doesn' t go toward your total carb count of the day, so if it gets used up right away and you are still eating low-carb below maintenance your leptin levels willl still drop, still prompting a carb-up come week-end to replenish glycogen stores and raise leptin levels.

I think some people think carb-ups are only for restoring muscle and liver glycogen and miss the part that it also raises leptin levels which tell your body you are ok to start loosing fat again instead of holding onto it ( which it does when you are on a caloric deficit diet ) a pre and post workout carb-up I think are used so that the work-out will not be catabolic, you are yourself supplying the energy for your workout both before and after so your body doesn't use muscle glycogen or fat.

I would still see a need for some sort of carb-up on a TKD if you intend to continue to lose fat while eating low-carb and below maintenance calories because as I said before, the carbs from a pre and post workout shake shouldn't count because they get used by the body during and after the workout.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 22:52

Quote:
Originally posted by mojoKID
I think some people think carb-ups are only for restoring muscle and liver glycogen and miss the part that it also raises leptin levels which tell your body you are ok to start loosing fat again instead of holding onto it ( which it does when you are on a caloric deficit diet ) a pre and post workout carb-up I think are used so that the work-out will not be catabolic, you are yourself supplying the energy for your workout both before and after so your body doesn't use muscle glycogen or fat.

I would still see a need for some sort of carb-up on a TKD if you intend to continue to lose fat while eating low-carb and below maintenance calories because as I said before, the carbs from a pre and post workout shake shouldn't count because they get used by the body during and after the workout.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

It's my understanding that what you're saying is correct, but the TKD and CKD are two totally different things. With CKD there's only one time you carb up before your workout...and that's before the depletion workout. Then, of course, you carb up big time beginning after that.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 00:12

Plan: Ketovore
Stats: 203/173/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 44%

#11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 00:29

BF:

I have been doing a lot of research on this subject myself and have chosen TKD. I haven’t actually started it, but this is the plan I am going with.

I was going to just edit my above post, but now we can only edit for the 1st 10 minutes and my computer decided to be slow... oh well.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 09:19

Quote:
Originally posted by adnil53
Here's a link for you... CKD vs TKD
http://www.wannabebig.com/printarticle.php?articleid=88

Not sure if you meant that link for me---or for someone else, but I've got the book (Lyle McDonald's book), which is where I learned about SKD, TKD and CKD. I will go check out that link later though because..well..you really can't learn too much.

I've opted for a more TKD approach, too, but I can't handle the low carbs (felt like I was dying, workouts were suffering horribly, and i was getting sick), so I have a pretty high carb diet right now. However, I make sure I get in a small carb meal before and after my workouts.

Also, I need to correct my statement on the CKD...don't know why I forgot this (brain burp?), but on the CKD, you do a small carb meal 4hrs before your depletion workout, then again 2hrs before (this meal to include fruit to take the liver OUT of ketosis and get it to switch over to burning carbs again).
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 11:29

BF:

The link is for anyone who is interested...