Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Encouragement needed.....

Hello there. I'm 5"7, female, 180lbs. I tried the Atkins diet back in February and I lost 12lbs in two weeks....then I stalled and went back to carbs. Now I need to lose weight in time for Xmas, and I started Atkins again two days ago. However... it's my second day and I still haven't shifted an ounce. I've heard rumours (which I hope aren't true) that Atkins doesn't work a second time - your body somehow becomes "immune" to it after the first, failed attempt. Is this true? Or should I just be a little more patient?

Help much appreciated,

Joanne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 15:34
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

It's true that repeated starts/stops will make subsequent attempts more difficult, but it's not hopeless. Your very best bet is to research and find a plan that you know you can stick with for LIFE. After you've done that and made the commitment, the next thing I would advise is that you forget about timelines.....they just set you up for a sense of failure if your goals are not met.

The key to success on any diet plan is to stick to it as best you can, be patient, be consistent and DO NOT GIVE UP. I started at 182 in March of this year and now I'm at 156-158. I started with a goal of 150 by Aug. 31....but I soon tossed that out the window when I realized that I was in this for life, so it didn't matter how fast or how slow the weight came off. We'd all like to lose 3 lbs. a week, but that truly isn't realistic. The only alternative is to do the best we can! The rest will take care of itself.

Good luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 09:33

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: Encouragement needed.....

Quote:
Originally posted by joanneb
it's my second day and I still haven't shifted an ounce.

Or should I just be a little more patient?

Hi there Joanne.....

My answer to your question? No, you should not be "just a little more patient". You need to be a LOT more patient. One of the most important rules of LCing is consistency. If you approach the plan with the idea that it's a quick weight loss method, you are most likely doomed to failure. If you approach it with the idea that it's a new way of eating that has the potential to keep you slim for life, then you have a very good expectation of success.

You say that you want the weight off for Christmas, and though you may not have the whole amount off by then, your patience and perseverance will reward you with the exactly right loss for your body and metabolism.

If you read the beginning of my journal, you'll see that though I had a bit of a rocky beginning, with the help and encouragement of forum members, as well as a commitment to myself, I was able to push past the obstacles and come out a loser!

Start and keep a journal here. I know that it will give you a place to ask your questions, record your menus, feelings and challenges and get information and encouragement from other forum members.

I wish you every LC success.

Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 11:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement folks. It's much appreciated.

Joanne x