Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 18:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/210/180
BF:34/34/22
Progress: 25%
Default Considering Atkin's again

I am considering starting the Atkin's diet again, but I am a little afraid that I will mess up again. I was doing the Atkin's diet a while ago. I was in the 10th day of the induction diet and after bragging that I had lost 10 lbs in 8 days, I blew the diet terribly. I gained back 6 pounds within the first two days and then I stopped weighing myself. I am back to 220 lbs which is exactly where I started before. It seems like when I am acknowledge that I am having some success with a diet, I completely lose it!!! I am just afraid that I will keep doing this to myself. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks,

Suzie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 19:09

Stats: 208.5/196/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Do it again.

And if you "blow it", do it again. And again. Just because you don't follow the plan for a day, or 2, or whatever--just keep coming back to it. Pretty soon, the "plan" will be the norm, and the "off" days will be the exception.

BE the WOL. You will feel so much better. Forget about the scale.

Follow induction for a while. Stop beating yourself up. The change doesn't happen overnite, or in 3 weeks. You are in in for the long haul, right?
Relax.....just start again now....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 08:39

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Suzie - I totally agree with patrizia. I follow this WOL to a T, 99% of the time, I was beating myself up when I'd have a glass of wine or two on the odd weekend, but I just said to myself, I work really hard and if I can't let myself have a little treat on a Friday night after a long and stressful week, then it's not worth it. Granted, I know the weight would come off a lot faster, but I feel great, the weight / inches are still coming off (I just walk further than normal on the weekends) and I'm really happy. Some people can't deviate at all because of "triggers", but thankfully, my small libation on a Friday evening doesn't send me into carb hell.

Vikki
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 16:03

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

Susie:

I have to think of it as a whole new way of life. While I hate to cook I still spend a little more time planning what to eat. I tend to buy my meat several times a week so it is fresh.

I did get a outdoor gas grill. This made a huge difference in my meal prep. I love it!

Some days it seems I just can't diet so I do cheat but I cheat eating more low carb stuff including desserts made with splenda. Then, when I get over that I go back to the dieting part.

You can do it!

Katie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:

u know what? we are on the same boat!i too was doing well until the 10th day and i had 2 carb binge days....after feeling miserble..i started back on ..i know its not rly that good to go in and out of induction but i guess thats what happens when ur still trying to acquaint yourself...well,im doing my best to make it through induction....hope u do well tooo!!!im here for u cheers!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:39
Registered Member

Stats: 170.6/163.2/145
BF:
Progress: 29%

Good luck everyone.
I just wanted to second what others are saying.

YOu really need to look at this as a life change. I know that I should follow my own advice. Just think....only a few weeks ago, I was eating crackers, bread, muffins, scones, etc. whenever I felt like it. I was overeating, along with over-carbing! now, I don't really do either!!!

Something will happen. You need the "click" to happen for you when the time is right. And when the time is right, you will do it for you, for your reasons. Nothing will hold you back

good luck to us all!

stacy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 12:29

Plan: Atkins 9/29/02 Somersize 4/4/03
Stats: 26/22/10
BF:57%/46%/25%
Progress: 25%

Suzieplump please keep trying! I know exactly how you feel as I've been getting back on this wagon since January of this year, I can't even begin to count! I'd go on for a few days and then quit because I get tired of cooking, I don't want to prepare food so much, I miss sweets, etc. You name it, I've had an excuse to go off plan. All of this on and off stuff has put more pounds on and made me feel downright ill.

I'm just now into my 4th day of induction for the umpteenth try and I've just resolved myself to fighting as hard as I can each and every day and if I slip up and choose to eat something that's not allowed on the plan, I won't beat myself up for it and use it as an excuse to quit and binge for a few more weeks. Also, if I want a treat, I'll substitute with a legal one.

We can do this - I know we can! We just have to be persistent and refuse to give up. Good luck to you in your journey!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 13:12

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:

I am with you I am about to start again I was whizzing along happy and "Blam" I blew it again. The thing that gets me about what I do is I always get sick, but just charge in like I had good sence. I am going on vacation this weekend and know it wouldn't do me any good to start induction before but I am cutting down on carbs to 20 and under. I know me I will blow it when someone says "wine to go with your cheese".
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:

whew!im glad its not just me who has this tendency to go overboard for umpteenth times(not that im glad you have gone overboard too) but what i meant is that ...it makes one think that were all humans after all and instead of indulging on our mistakes ,lets jsut stand up and pick ourselves once more and learn,relearn till we get it ryt...we need each others support
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 09:16
Registered Member

Stats: 225/184/135 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Suzie,

I'm on my 7th day of Induction, and it's my second try. I know exactly what you mean about blowing it as soon as you know you've lost weight. Even though I really wanted to be thin, I was sort of nervous about it too--the thought of attracting attention freaked me out a little. So if I lost some weight, it would send me back to binging. Maybe if you figured out what your thinking is, you might be able to work through it. Also, I'm trying to do what the others mentioned--be kind to myself if I'm not exactly perfect. I'm just doing the best I can.

Nancy
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 10:15

Plan: not sure
Stats: 214/214/125
BF:
Angry HELP ME PLEASE!

I can't decide between Atkins and TSP! My doc likes both. I knw they are both healthy and sound so now I need to know which is most effective...fastest loss...most variety (recipes, books etc.) I think I have the same chance at making either a lfestyle but I just don't know which to choose! I feel like I'm stuck in neutral because I can't get started until I fell I've made the right choice! I've browsed this site and just seem to get even more confused Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated! I just went through months and months (9 or 10) of W.W.Points and only managed about an 8 pound loss! I may seem impatient but at that rate, I'd be dead by the time I reached my goal! I know Low Carb is the way to go but which one do I choose?

PS I think I've posted in the wrong place but I don't know how to make this a new thread! Sorry!

Last edited by GO6AND8 : Thu, Oct-03-02 at 10:23.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 12:13

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:

Hi Go6AND8,
I have been on both TSP and Atkins they are very different have you read either of the books? TSP is a healing program and the weight loss is very slow to almost none existing but you will feel great. With Atkins you will get 20 carbs a day. On TSP you get 60 carbs 3 15carb meals and 2 71/2 snacks. Some people lose fast on Atkins induction some don't. I lost 8 pounds in the first 9 days but then nothing I am in a major stall. Wish I could help more.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 14:28

Plan: not sure
Stats: 214/214/125
BF:
Wink Atkins Again!

Thanks! I have read Atkis but I just heard about TSP yesterday! If TSP is not going to create a real weight loss, you've answered my question perfectly! I'll just keep browsing a while!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 15:28

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Why does "blowing it" have to be the end of the world?

I don't understand the thinking in our culture, especially when it comes to diets, that one lapse means we are somehow a failure.

When I've done really well for awhile, and then eat something I shouldn't, or even binge for a bit, or whatever....I try not to see those few minutes, or even hours, as having taken away from me all the success I"ve had for the previous days. The previous days cannot be taken away from me, they are the past, for better or worse.

I also try not to let that lapse mean "now that I've blown the diet, I may as well just keep on blowing it!" If I do that, I am carrying what would be a momentary disappointment or feeling of failure into the future.

To me, that is a setup for bad feelings about oneself and continued failure.

If I have a momentary lapse, whether it lasts for minutes or hours, I find that the best attitude for me to take is to remind myself that a momentary lapse doesn't mean I have to continue it into the next day. A few bad moments don't have to turn into a bad day, a bad week, or a much longer period of feeling bad.

I am entirely responsible for what happens to me, before, after, and during a lapse. I was responible for my success up to that point. I was responsible that any lapse that happened, and I am responsible for how long I let it go on .

I think it's nothing more than low self esteem that keeps many in our culture thinking that a lapse means failure, and so we may as well give up.

Sure, it's disappointing, and frustrating, but we don't have to live in that disappointment and frustration and deem ourselves worthless failures as a result, whether for a single moment or many weeks. It's entirely up to us how long we want to stay in that place, or just move on with what's important.

AJ