Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 11:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/229/210
BF:
Progress: 75%
Post Benefits of Milk/Dairy Products Article

Ran across an interesting article about the effects of milk and Dairy products on weight loss...

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/food_and_...1441031,00.html

What do you people think - is it worth introducing milk to my LC diet, or should I just get the calcium from cheese?

BTW, if you want a great new way to find LC dieting articles, check out the new News section of Google. The search engine is fantastic!

- Kappy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 15:55

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

That's a really interesting article. I'd like to know what a 'low calcium diet' is. Never heard of such criteria. To evaluate this data it would be necessary to know what the people in the test and control groups ate, not just low calcium and high calcium. What was the nutrient mix? They vaguely describe a traditional low calorie diet, the favorite of clinical nutritionists everywhere.
Anyway, I eat some cheese because it's lower carb than milk and cream. And plenty of green veggies, just like most of the lo carb plans specify. There's lots of calcium in broccolli, for example.
Some people stall when eating dairy of any kind.
A cup of whole milk has 11g of carbs. That's pretty high so I usually don't work it into my plan. I notice that they didn't state the carb content in their breakdown of milk.
They knock calcium supplements - but of course it depends which one you take. Lots are useless, no doubt.
There are plenty of people who would disagree that milk is important for a healthy diet, as stated in the article.
I see the National Dairy Council funded the study. Can't blame 'em for trying.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:03

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Yogurt & carb count...

For what it's worth, I read in the GO-Diet book that 1/2 cup of plain yogurt has only 2 countable carbs because the bacteria have 'eaten' the milk sugars, leaving lactic acid instead of lactose. (If I have that right.) He says he checked it in his lab.

I started eating 1 cup or more a day, along with 2 handfuls of almonds or pecans (also recommended by them). I wasn't kicked out of ketosis as I suspected I would since I fall out easily, and I feel really good. I actually lost a little again, after having been in a stall.

Good luck,
Amy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 06:08

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi everyone,

I live in a land which is very rich in dairy products and especially the fermented kind (kefir, sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese, yogurt and so on).

I have also noticed that these products contain less carbohydrates than milk and I certainly incorporate them into my diet.

What I'm interested in is: Has anyone ever invented a process for removing the lactose from milk and leaving it more or less unchanged?

I used to drink a lot of milk and now, to be honest I miss it!

Regards to all,

Robert
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 13:58

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I checked the label on lactose free milk and the carbs are pretty much the same as regular milk. What part of milk contains carbs ?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 15:13

Hi Angeline,

How weird . Lactose is definatly carbs. Lactose free milk (which I can't buy here anyway) is made, I presume, for people who are allergic to lactose.

I wonder if they just replace it with some other sugar to preserve the taste?

What does it say on the label? Anything ending in ...ose?

As I said weird.

Robert

P.S. I don't know of any other part of milk which contains carbs...although I am not an expert.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 15:55

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Here is the nutritional breakdown from a milk producer website. As you can see they list carbs as 8 g per cup. Nothing is added to the milk except vitamins and Lactase. Lactase is the enzym that allows you to digest milk, so I assume it's added to help people with lactose intolerance digest the lactose that's left.

So where does the 8g carb come from ? Obviously not from lactose

Natrel Lactose Free 2% milk

Nutrition Information
per 250 ml serving
(1 cup)

Energy 122 cal
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 8 g
Fat 5.1 g
Cholesterol 20.5 mg
Vitamin A 110 RE
Vitamin D 88 UI
Riboflavin 0.4 mg
Vitamin B12 0.9 mcg
Calcium 319 mg
Phosphorous 242 mg
Potassium 154 mg
Sodium 50 mg

Ingredients:
partly skimmed milk, lactase, vitamin A, palmitate, vitamin D3
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 01:36

Hi Angeline,

Well, I’ve just had a look at a packet of 3.4 percent normal Belarusian milk from my fridge. If I understand the Russian OK, and converting it to 250g, to compare it’s:

Protein 7.25g
Fats 10g
Carbohydrates 11.35

This is ‘full fat milk’ so in fact you would expect the carbs to be slightly lower than your 2 percent, which we would call semi-skimmed. As, in fact, this milk is 11.35g and the lactose free is 8g it seems some of the carbs have disappeared with the lactose.

However it’s still a mystery what those 8g carbs which are left are.

Maybe there is someone who will read this and tell us.

I buy a thing called ‘slivki’ here. It’s a sort of weak cream with 8 percent fat but the same carbs as milk. A little dash has an excellent whitening effect on coffee or tea and therefore I use much less than I would if I used milk.

I wish someone would invent a carb free coffee whitener!

All the best from Belarus.

Robert