Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 00:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default query on ckd from a newbie

hi! well,ryt now im doin the atkins but i felt i liked the idea of having to carb up on weekends coz i do worlout alot...anyway,can anyone please explain to me the basics of ckd?i mean i get the part i have to caarb-up but on what and for how long and why..and stuffs like taht...sorry,if its too mcuh to ask
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 11:17

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Too mcuh to ask? Absolutely!!! Too much to ask? Nah... read the stickies on top of the thread list first - they may help you out a bit.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 12:58

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Hi, Nicole:

Arrgh! I'm retyping this because I lost all the data when I hit submit.

Okay... these folks here are absolutely priceless in their knowledge and help, but it can be pretty overwhelming as a newbie. I bought the book, and though it's VERY technical (which I LOVE), it's quite thorough. When you order online, you'll get a download to get you started (Quick Start Guide).

The book is "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. BTW, I order a lot online and I was very impressed that they got the book to me when they said they would!

Warning: As a newbie myself, I want to give you one little tidbit of advice: be careful of those carb up days! Watch your body, pay attention to the signs because we're all SO different, and it's just too easy to start putting on fat if you don't pay attention. Once you find your niche, however, all should go smoothly enough. I LOVE CKD!

BTW, the book also has SKD (Standard Ketogenic Dieting), TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Dieting), as well as CKD. So you can choose which one is right for you.

Good luck to ya!

Last edited by Jalilah : Sun, Sep-29-02 at 13:05.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 19:37

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

Jalilah, where did you order your copy of the book?

thanks
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 19:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
Jalilah, where did you order your copy of the book?

thanks

Hi, Big Dog!

http://www.theketogenicdiet.com/

When you order, you can choose to order a downloadable version (which is cheaper), but I chose the paperback because I really need a hard copy I can read comfortably.

I think it was very well worth the money, and there's a BB on his site, too that you can access when you get your ID password thing via email.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 20:47

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:

I think I'll pick up Lyle's book too. He's got a ton of articles all over the internet on a variety of diet methods. Check out:
http://beginners.cyberpump.com/
And here also:
www.cyberpump.com/features/nutrimuscle/
I switched over to TKD for now. The big carb up day was too rough for now.
I did a small load immediately prior to two big workouts last week and did really well.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 20:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug H
I switched over to TKD for now. The big carb up day was too rough for now.
I did a small load immediately prior to two big workouts last week and did really well.

Thanks a million for the links, Doug! I LOVE the pic of the skinny guy looking in the mirror.

I hear ya on the carb up thing, but I'm just backing mine away from the sugar/candy thing to something else. I went to Lyle's BB and asked him about it and he said it wasn't necessary. So I'll be doing stuff like mashed sweet potatoes and honey for the really high GI stuff, and oatmeal, pasta, etc.

Good luck with the TKD, and please let us know how it goes. I for one am real interested in what you have to say about it.

Thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 05:47

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:

thanks