Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 14:59

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%
Default Sugar Cravings: How Do You Fight Them?

I have been doing the Insulin Resistance Diet for a while now and am having success with it. However while I have had no problems cutting out/ limiting rice, potatoes etc. I cannot seem to eliminate sugar. I actually am an addict. The author advises that sugar should be an occassional treat but that just doesn't work for me.

I give it up for like a week or a few days then I "reward" myself with a bar of choc and before I know it I want to have it all the time 24/7. I have been eating way too much cho lately as I was on holiday and today I tired to start detoxing but bf's family all went to an ice cream parlour. Was starving and craving even though I had high protein breakfast so had a chocolate milkshake. Afterwards I was so longing for more my hands were shaking and all I could think of was getting more choc and a McDonalds. When I went home my bf supplied me with the hidden choc he saves for when I am really desperate and I ate all 100g of it.

I realize I am an addict. I know I am out of control. If there was a sugar annonymous program I would join it instantly. I am addicted to sugar both physiologically and psychologically as I am an emotional eater. Today however was purely physiological.

Has anyone experienced this? What is the way out? How do I stay sugar free for life? What practical tips help ppl when they have a sugar craving?

Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 15:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Scarlet...

You may not want to hear this, but if you are truly addicted to sugar, the only way to break it is total abstinance. You cannot "reward" yourself with the very substance you are addicted to for abstaining from it for a period of a few days or weeks just like an alcoholic or drug addict cannot reward themselves with a fix or a drink when they've "been good" for a while. I'd even go so far as to advise you to stay away from even artificial sweeteners for a month or two as in some people even the taste of something sweet will set off cravings again and your body may respond as if you'd eaten real sugar. I know it's hard, but if you really want to break this it has to be done.
It seems that you've already discovered that even if you haven't had any sugar for a while, the minute you have some that addiction rears it's ugly head again and you are immediately craving for more as soon as the first is gone as even a little sets off the insulin response again.
Good supplements to take to help with sugar cravings are Chromium and L-Glutamine, but there is also a certain amount of willpower necessary here too. A lot of people report that it's helpful to have some protein instead of sugar when the cravings hit. HTH
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 15:39

Thanks Lisa

I do completely realise that it is a huge mistake to "reward" myself with sugar. It IS the same as an alcoholic rewarding oneself with drink. I think today was a turning point for me because I went to this lovely park with bf's family and was laughing and having fun but all I could think was that I needed sugar. I mean that is ridiculous, total addict behavior. I am planning on going cold turkey and have started. No more splenda, diet coke or choc for me.

I am unemployed right now and tend towards depression so worry what to do when sugr/comfort fix occurs. I don't plan to eat choc or sugar but am just wondering would fruit be good or excercise or protein etc. be good at these times.

I guess I am just in need of the practical tips and tricks that other ppl have used successfully.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 17:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
If there was a sugar annonymous program I would join it instantly.

There is Scarlet, and it's called Overeaters Anonymous. Here is some of their literature:

Are You a Compulsive Overeater?

Welcome to Overeaters Anonymous. This series of questions may help you determine if you are a compulsive overeater.

1. Do you eat when you're not hungry?

2. Do you go on eating binges for no apparent reason?

3. Do you have feelings of guilt and remorse after overeating?

4. Do you give too much time and thought to food?

5. Do you look forward with pleasure and anticipation to the time when you can eat alone?

6. Do you plan these secret binges ahead of time?

7. Do you eat sensibly before others and make up for it alone?

8. Is your weight affecting the way you live your life?

9. Have you tried to diet for a week (or longer), only to fall short of your goal?

10. Do you resent others telling you to "use a little willpower" to stop overeating?

11. Despite evidence to the contrary, have you continued to assert that you can diet "on your own" whenever you wish?

12. Do you crave to eat at a definite time, day or night, other than mealtime?

13. Do you eat to escape from worries or trouble?

14. Have you ever been treated for obesity or a food-related condition?

15. Does your eating behavior make you or others unhappy?

Have you answered yes to three or more of these questions? If so, it is probable that you have or are well on your way to having a compulsive overeating problem. We have found that the way to arrest this progressive disease is to practice the Twelve-Step recovery program of Overeaters Anonymous.

Overeaters Anonymous is a fellowship of individuals who, through shared experience, strength and hope, are recovering from compulsive overeating. We welcome everyone who wants to stop eating compulsively. There are no dues or fees for members; we are self-supporting through our own contributions, neither soliciting nor accepting outside donations. OA is not affiliated with any public or private organization, political movement, ideology or religious doctrine; we take no position on outside issues. Our primary purpose is to abstain from compulsive overeating and to carry this message of recovery to those who still suffer.

Is OA for You?

Only you can decide that question. No one else can make this decision for you. We who are now in OA have found a way of life which enables us to live without the need for excess food. We believe that compulsive overeating is a progressive illness, one that, like alcoholism and some other illnesses, can be arrested. Remember, there is no shame in admitting you have a problem; the most important thing is to do something about it.

Let us know how you make out. Overcoming addiction of any sort is a long, tough, enlightening and rewarding haul. You can become sane again.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 18:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Scarlet...

I honestly wouldn't go for fruit to help a sugar craving. Many fruits have natural sugars in them in good amounts and your body doesn't know any difference between that and refined sugar. Have some cheese or a chicken leg instead or go for a walk or to the gym. Also stay away from breads, rice, potatoes and pasta. You'll find that after 4 or 5 days of total abstinance it really does get quite a bit easier. I wish you success!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 19:05

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

The foods you referred to, while I realize they were only examples, were chocolate and a milkshake.

I have a mild allergy to milk apparently. If I allow myself to drink a big glass of milk, I crave more. If I drink more, I CRAVE it -- to the point of waking up at 2am, unable to stand it, having to run to the kitchen and drink some. I have even took big gulps from the milk jug and then leaned against the fridge and realized I was acting like a total addict.

One day somebody told me that allergies can provoke a response of craving. I'd never heard that. I finally learned that if I don't want to crave milk -- and on LC eating, crave sugar, they are connected with me though I am not sure why -- I have to just avoid it altogether.

So you might consider that this could be (a) related to a component IN the sugary-foods you choose, and/or (b) related to an allergy, as well.

PJ
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 12:21

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarlet
I am unemployed right now and tend towards depression so worry what to do when sugr/comfort fix occurs.

I can certainly understand your feelings as I am only part-time employed and have suffered with depression a lot in the past.

Doctors have recommened exercise for depression, though I didn't take their advice. Finally, last January, I began a serious fitness program to augment my weight loss. The good news is that I no longer suffer depression. Oh yeah...I get a bit blue from time to time, but a 'bit blue' is definately NOT depression.

My suggestion to you would be to exercise when you have the urge for sugar/comfort. Take up walking/running, and I feel certain that you will find that you can get past the urge to eat sugar as well as improve your mental state.

If anything.....now I'm addicted to exercise. I love the way it makes me feel so good, whole, healthy and energized, both mentally and physically.

Marlaine
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 04:54

I have been sugar free now for a day and a half and feel like hell. My stomach hurts even more than usual, nothing I eat satisfies me and I am afraid I am eating too many cals. Yesterday I had

3 eggs and 1 slice low GI wholewheat toast (15carbs)

Tuna salad with lettuce and spring onion

protein shake

handful of peanuts

turkey breast on wholewheat pitta (20 carbs)

chicken wing

half cup of nuts

1 slice of cheese

I normally eat less than this but have choc. I am worried I am gonna put on weight. Is this just my body doing funny things for the first day of withdrawl?

P.S. I am doing The IR Diet where up to 30 carbs are allowed per meal as long as they are balanced with at least 14g protein
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 09:20

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Seems to me if you quit using up most your allotted carbs on bread, you could eat a lot more food.

PJ
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 12:14

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Lightbulb For sugar cravings

Try a herbal supplement called Gymnema Slyvestre. I'm addicted to chocolate. I take this supplement 15 minutes before meal or snack. It's a sugar block; it blocks to taste so you won't crave the sugar. But I wouldn't subtract it from my carb count for the day.

Josie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 13:54

Karen - I am in Germany now so have no access to OA as I don't speak German. Do you know if they publish any material I could buy?

LisaN - Im not doing atkins so fruit and a small amount of grains are allowed on my WOE. At the moment I am having maybe 1 or 2 low carb fruit a day so am being careful

PJ - I have a milkshake maybe once a year and have no probs abstaining from milk (even though I'm Irish LOL) but it seems to be the sugar (and possibly caffeine) in chocolate that I like. I was tested for food allergies many times as my family attend a holistic practitioner, and I have never tested sensitive to dairy, but am sensitive to tomatoes, peppers and potatoes. BTW what do you mean about the bread? I thought I was eating too much food rather than too little!

Everyone - Will this unsatisfied feeling go away soon?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 14:02

Josie - I'll look for that supplement when I go back to Ireland as you can't even get evening primrose oil without a prescription in this country! I am currently taking L- Glutamine for the cravings.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 14:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Karen - I am in Germany now so have no access to OA as I don't speak German. Do you know if they publish any material I could buy?

If you click the link to OA that I posted, it will take you to the site. They have on line meetings. And you can order literature from the site too.

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 14:35

Thanks Karen! It amazed me when I did that quiz how many questions I answered yes to. Thank you for the info.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 22:11

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 271/162/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default See Myself in All of you...

Wow, I don't feel so bad... I also have "sugar cravings".. and get to feeling out of control and so helpless, but have been off and on LC for a few years now.... and have been off LC now because of company I had and it's hard to get back on... I know once I cheat I am off the wagon and I know better than to cheat even once... If I can stay LC for 3 days then the cravngs go away... and also the hunger goes away... but those 1st 3 days are killers and right now I am on day 2.... IT'S NOT EASY!!!
I like this group and everyone is so supportive so with all your help I also know I can stick with it and not fall off the wagon...
You all deserve a big hug for your support of each other. I hope I will be as well... thanks J.R.