Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 15:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/200/160 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 38%
Talking Does it count if I don't swallow it?

Okay okay okay, I had a slight breakdown today. I couldn't stand the temptation of the Kit Kat Bites in my fridge and so I broke down. I just wanted to taste them. So I chewed some up and spit them back out. *sorry if this sounds too grosse* I was real careful not to swallow any and I even rinsed my mouth out with water afterwards. Does it count?

Hey I did go to the gym and worked out pretty hard for two hours. Weights, sit ups, treadmill, etc... AND, I even lost 1.6 lbs already.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 15:58
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Thumbs down Temptations~

I don't know if that would affect your weight loss, I bite off little pieces of stuff all the time for the kids,if we go somewhere & they get a treat,& utensils aren't an option, but I don't chew it up or think of it as cheating... My suggestion to you is this; if you cannot leave the kit-kats or whatever it is alone, and they are that much of a temptation to you... get rid of them... throw them away, give them to someone else, so on and forth. I have to deal with having high carb food around me... my son needs them to help gain weight & hubby likes them for a snack... I just have made up my mind that, as I have read on someone's signature here... "Nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels." Get some sweet substitutes,not high carb. There are plenty of recipes here in the recipes section, and elsewhere on the net, for sweet treats. If you are on Induction, then you need to forgo that for awhile & stick to Induction foods ONLY to get into ketosis.
It might have been a mouthful of kit-kat, chewed up and spat out, BUT next time, it might be more, and you may not want to spit it out... I would get rid of the temptations if you have a problem with them~ Just my two cents worth.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 15:58

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Hmm....?

I'm not clear about what you are asking.

Are you asking whether it is possible that some calories and/or carbs got into your system and count towards daily intake?

Or are you asking whether it counts as cheating or not?

AJ
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 16:14

BF:

I wish I could have only "legal" foods in my house but there are other people in the house that eat high carb foods.

what I meant by my post was:
Is it possible that any carbs could have got into my system?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 16:46

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default possible? yes

The mouth is very vascular, so yes, some of the carbs may have been absorbed...how much would depend on how long you chewed it.

I think what suze_c said is more important tho. This time you spit it out, next time you may not!

If others in your house have to have their high-carb foods, ask them to at least keep them out of your way! Kit Kat do not need to be refrigerated...couldn't they have put them somewhere else? My son still has his snacks and treats (he's almost 18), but he either keeps them in the snack cabinet (has always had chips, crackers, candy, etc) or if it must be refrigerated, he hides it! He's actually been quite comical about it! Once he had to rehide a bag of snickers twice because he kept inadvertantly telling me where they were! (But! he's trying!)

You don't mention who the others are in the house, but I think if you sat down ad talked to them...explained your health concerns and that you are very serious about this new WOE...they should try and cooperate!

Good Luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 17:15
Registered Member

Default this w/o/e for me

Quote:
I wish I could have only "legal" foods in my house but there are other people in the house that eat high carb foods.

My youngest son Brendan,has cerebral palsy, and has always been skinny. It was even investigated that I was starving him,when he was consuming anywhere from 3000-5000 calorues a DAY! Both doctors and dieticians alike had all these recommendations on foods to help him gain weight... included were VERY HIGH CARB and high sugar foods.Big no-no's for me, even when I wasn't following this LC w/o/e.It was made even harder in that I have to feed him these foods...talk about temptations!It was like the had this big platter of decadence and was handing it to me with a big ol' grin. I KNEW without a doubt, that those foods were not good for me... for my battle of the bulge(s). I kept his foods out of sight, those treats that were *illegal* for me, and made sure that I had plenty of alternatives.I even had to cook all the high calorie meals for him, and learned how to adapt so I would be able to eat them, and ate things before the high cal. stuff was added for him, or ate something else that meal, saving the leftovers for him for later.(This was before I met hubby,and it was just Bren & me.) I wasn't quite as strict on myself as I am now with Induction and this LC w/o/e. To me now, my success is riding on my following the LC way, and knowing that cheating per se would throw that process off, or make losing weight even longer is enough of a deterrent to not cheat. Hubby prepares 98% of the suppers here, and he is always fixing something that I can eat too, as I can always have the meat part of the meal,and since he loves cheese, I can eat that too~ I just forgo the side dishes that everyone else has, even KaeLyn,our 11 1/2 mo. old , we just grind up regular food for her for most meals,and let her feed herself on solid foods that she is able to finger feed with.
No one said it would be easy, to be in the same house with non-LC'ers, but I think that is a lame excuse for cheating... not to diss anyone or anything... there are just too many other things that one LC'ing CAN eat, to jeopardize the whole program. Hope no one takes offense at this post, as no offense was meant.

Last edited by suze_c : Sun, Sep-29-02 at 18:27.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 17:19
Registered Member

Post Typos typos typos

Quote:
Hope no one takes offense at this post, as no offense was met.

And I hope y'all know, that last word was suppose to be meant... I got this thing about correcting myself~ Just one of my little quirks~ hey we all have 'em... some just more than others
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 17:54

BF:

Thanks for the kick in the pants guys, no offense taken, I know it was said out of love and concern.

Quote:
there are just too many other things that one LC'ing CAN eat, to jeopardize the whole program.

That is very true, as I am beginning to learn. I'm figuring out what I can and can't eat and how to get a little variety in my meals.

No more chewing stuff up and spitting it out. Just wait and see how much progress I make. I really am excited and motivated.

Oh yea, suze, if you want to make a correction, you can click the edit option at the bottom of your reply.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 18:26
Registered Member

Default Thx Kirsty~

thx gal~ for that little tidbit of info~ I am not a bad speller, just not that great of a typist~
I am glad you didn't mind the post I put up.And you are right, it was out of concern... I think that all here who follow the LC way of eating, way of life, want the others here to succeed. It is inspiring for us all to see progress~ to hear that there is someone else out there who is winning that battle... I truly wish you the best in your endeavor, and the advice to get the book and read it... I agree If you don't have the $$...then check it out of the library. There are certain health issues where a person should not be LC'ing... and I think reading the book would help you to understand more about how it works, and why those mouthfuls, even spat out ones are detrimental to the LC plan... ESPECIALLY when on the Induction phase of it. I am glad to hear you are learning~ and keep up the good work~!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 03:01
Registered Member

Stats: 122/131/105
BF:26%/25%/18%
Progress: -53%

Isn't it true that even tasting sugar causes an insulin spike?

Does the food actually have to hit the stomach before it affects the insulin levels?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 07:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/133.5/125
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have to confess - I bought my DH a big chocolate brownie the other day and then made him give me a BIG kiss after he ate it It was hysterical, but also delicious! Maybe this was cheating - it sure felt like it - but it was great fun!

kiwi
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 07:09

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwi2
I have to confess - I bought my DH a big chocolate brownie the other day and then made him give me a BIG kiss after he ate it It was hysterical, but also delicious! Maybe this was cheating - it sure felt like it - but it was great fun!

kiwi

kiwi

You sound like me. My hubby will eat something high carb and then want a smooch. I tell him no way.. I CAN"T SMOOCH YOU! You are high carby right now. We both get a laugh out of it and he gets a smooch anyway
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 17:25

BF:

You guys are too funny!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 22:59

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Ms. Serious here....

To answer the previous question about insulin: Yes, tasting sugar causes an insulin spike. Basically, whatever you put in your mouth, is reacted upon by your system, whether you swallow or not. And the digestive process also starts in your mouth. eeeww!

Some people even get insulin spikes from tasting artificial sweeteners.

And I would also be concerned that tasting could lead to craving. Be careful.

;-Deb
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 21:54

Stats: 300/217/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

Oh my gosh.. you have no idea how glad I am that someone else does this! I figure it as a grey area. Yeah of course you shouldn't touch it... but if you absolutely have to then at least you didn't swallow it.
I use "chewing and spitting" as an absolute last resort, and the knowledge that I'm doing something that gross usually keeps me from doing it again for at few months.
As far as cravings, definately stirs them up again for me. Anouther reason why it's not a great thing. Probably all around not a good idea, but I do totally sympathize.