Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 09:11
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Glad to hear that you do know about acidophilus. Just try to remember to keep it on hand.

As for the low fat thing, I still do not do high saturated foods so to compensate I take 1 tblsp. flaxseed oil three times a day and supplement with everning primrose oil capsules 3 times a day.

I do this mainly for menopausal symptoms and to lower cholesterol but girl my skin is so soft! I have been doing this for about 1 1/2 mos. and it has made a significant difference.

I can see where your active schedule would keep you from eating the required 6 meals a day. I supplement three of the snack meals with Myoplex Lite shakes and I have even cut them in half.
They were just too much for me to consume at one time.

I also am hungry even more so now since I am into week six and from what they say on the lean and strong boards that is normal, means metabolism is up and muscles are consuming the fat.

I guess we all have to do whatever is best for our bodies being that they are all so very different. I am in love with the weight training, I had never done weight training before and I love the endorfin rush I get.

Now this morning the legs are a little weak, I bet when I get up from the computer I will really notice it. My office is upstairs so I am up and down all day but that seems to help with the DOMS.

Well you have a great day and a better weekend. I will touch base later, I am enjoying our girl talk!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default fatigue and depression

Jalilah,

I have never heard of low carb causing depression, in fact for me, and for most of the people I know, we tend to get depressed after we go off the wagon and start eating carbs again. That seems to be when the depression sets in.

And there are actually physical reasons for that. The B vitamins are abundant in red meats and the B vitamins are good for your nerves. Too much sugar and carbs tends to deplete the B vitamins out of your system. So if you have tendancies toward depression they come back big time when you start eating a lot of carbs again.

In your case however with all the dancing you are doing it could simply be fatigue and not enough carbs fueling your workouts.

I've been doing low carb for over 2 years and I can't count the number of people who have told me that they used to experience a lot of depression and realized that on the Low carb way of life it has gone away.

But then they aren't working out at the rate that you are.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 11:10

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Interesting.

The physiology behind the LC depression is actually a "depression" or "suppression" to the thyroid gland.

I honestly don't notice any depression with the sugar, except for what's related to the candida. It's easily recognizable because of the other symptoms. But back when I was a carby eater, I didn't get depressed unless I was horribly stressed about something for a long, long period of time.

But that's just me. LOL.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Lightbulb Some Ideas

Hey, ladies!

HerbNurse, you should DEFINITELY check out BodyChangers and listen to some of the interviews.
BodyChangers Interviews
I picked several "figure models" who had physiques similar to mine and I listened to their interviews. I found some good, common-sense tips and techniques from them. And I found some great encouragement and support from people who have made their transformations.

I emailed Rosemary Harrington
Rosemary Harrington's Interview
because she started off a "fatty" like me. She was really encouraging and supportive, and her example helped me to stay true and committed throughout Challenge 1. She's a real person, just like me--and she REALLY transformed! Her input and support was INVALUABLE to me.

I also found inspiration from Kailee Rainey
Kailee Rainey's Interview
because she started off at EXACTLY the same start weight as me. And her physique looked quite similar to my starting physique. I learned a good, common-sense lesson from Kailee: That I had to pay attention to what I was putting in my mouth. It sounds simple, but listening to her interview really CRYSTALLIZED the point for me. She didn't, ultimately, find success doing BFL by the book, she had to tweak... But her pointers have, still, been invaluable to me!

I think there's probably a "figure model" there for everyone...

Also, Steve Montefinesse
Steve M's Website
Steve is in my local (Chicago) Body For Life group. Steve is awesome! I've met him a couple of times at our BFL get-togethers, and I email him regularly. Steve is Mr. Super Supportive. He LOVES helping people and introducing them to Body For Life. He's just AWESOME! If you're having a hard time, I'd really recommend dropping him a line... He's a guy, so it's different (easier, I think) for him. But he's a GREAT guy, who is VERY POSITIVE.

I learned, from Steve Montefinesse, the overriding importance of POSITIVITY. I learned that I'll only get 100% if I (consistently) give 100%. I learned that if I expect the worst I'll receive the worst--BUT if I expect the best I'll receive THE BEST! He's a terrific person. He's, like, the unofficial ATTITUDE coach for BFL Chicago...

Ladies, I wish you the best... I have, personally, found that BFL is giving me results that exceed my expectations. It hasn't been a "straight line" down. I'm not having "miraculous" results. But I have patience. I will persevere. And in 8 more weeks, I will see my results!

Good luck to you all!

Trilbe
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 12:21
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Thanks Tribe!!

Enthusiasm like yours goes a very long way. I will look into all that you have directed me to. I like the fact that I can pick someone either in my same body type or age group for inspiration.

I really know the importance of positivity, I had it when I was really overweight and put myself thru a major behavior modification. Working in a pharmacy for so many years where people saw me day in and day out for years really inspired those who wanted to be like me and lose weight.

I am going to upload a picture in my journal in the next couple of days of before at over 230 lbs. to where I am now. Mind you I am not finished, I am now trying to attain a leaner more sculpted body. Actually trying to rid the bottom of the most fat.

I am quite sure that I will be a BFLer for a long time to come. I plan on doing several challenges in the next year. Get ready for a dramatic makeover ladies!!

Thanks again Tribe for your shot of enthusiasm. I needed that.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 14:00

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Thanks, Trilbe!! (ps, sorry if I kept mispelling your name before!!!)

I'll check the web site out a bit later. I've been trying to find pics of those who are doing BFL and low carbing.....yes, there are a few folks here, but the more I can see the more motivated I may become. As of right now I feel like I've gotten "fatter," and that's a terrible place to be in (emotionally/mentally) because the fake hunger starts in... you know that kind? The kind of hunger that has no rhyme or reason but always seems to be present when you're down, angry, stressed, etc.? yeah, that kind.

I'm NOT going to step on the scale, and because I had a couple of days of having a slice of birthday cake and some ice-cream (at least I stopped with just one slivery serving! LOL) I'm considering THAT my carb up for the week.

Thanks, ladies! You guys are the best-----so supportive and so positive! thank you, thank you, thank you!