Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Zoloft

Anybody out there who has had experience with low-carbing while on
Zoloft. I started last Wednesday and the ketostix are showing purple
big time. I just wory that I wont actually lose pounds because Dr.
Atkins is so negative about doing his program while on SSRI's.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 10:56

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default hi

Have you talked to your doc?

Dr Atkins is against meds that might slow down your progress, but each of us respond in our own way.

You're taking a medication that helps with depression? OCD? Look at it this way....if you continue the med and start feeling better maybe you'll be able to cut down or even stop it. But....if you stop the med and you go into a depression, you'll probably have a much harder time at following your plan!

I'm on HRT, which is another med Atkins doesn't like, but due to unbearable symptoms of menopause I intend to continue it....for now anyway! I also take lots of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs)....800 mg of Motrin 2-4 times per day. That is something I'm hoping I can cut back on once I get into better shape, but I figure if I stop it now I won't be abel to do the exercises!

I'm new at LC, but I've been a RN for over 25 years. I am not an advocate of medications.....mostly I think docs prescribe meds rather than try to deal with the problem! It's so much easier on them!

Talk to your doc....and go by how you feel! If you think you might be able to cut back on your dose, please do not do this without advice from your doc!

Good luck.....and keep us informed on your progress!

CindySue
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 11:13

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there Marco....

I'd been on a SSRI for about 8 months and had weaned myself off by the end of August 2001. Started LCing Sept 13/01 and have found that with the combination of LCing and exercise that I have absolutely no need for the medication any longer. In fact, I consider myself to be in the best state of mental health in my whole life. I'm convinced that LC eating provides the most beneficial brain chemistry for me.

Try not to worry too much about the weight loss and give yourself at least to the end of the year. I'm certain that you will discover that so many other benefits accrue that weight loss will be just a bonus!

Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 16:59
Registered Member

Stats: 212/172/168
BF:
Progress: 91%

I am on Zoloft and have not gone off it with the diet. I have not had any problem losing weight so far. I am going to try going off it in about a month, when I'm in good strong dieting habits, and also during a lower stress time at work where it won't be such an issue if I do start to slide into depression.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 17:46

Stats: 200/200/160
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks to all of you for your helpful responses. I'll stick with LCing and with Zoloft and see how it goes. I'm in ketosis so thats a good sign. Thanks so much.
Marco
Day 4
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 03:07

Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm on zoloft (100 mg./day) and I have lost 12 pounds in the first five weeks on Atkins. Not too shabby, I would say. I'm going to try going down to 75 mg./day for the next few weeks and see how I feel. I will go down further if my mood stays good.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 12:15

Stats: 185/171.4/162
BF:28/25/22
Progress: 59%

I've been on Zoloft for severe anxiety disorder and OCD since August 2000. Before that I was pregnant and breastfeeding and DID NOT need medication until 3 months after I ended bf-ing. Hormones play a big role in the need for meds, so I'm sure other factors also will affect them. Anyway, I've been LC ing since July 2002 and exercising 5 days a week. The weight is coming off slowly but I've lost inches, body fat, and feel much better. I am going to speak with my dr. about cutting the Zoloft back to 100 mg. a day and look for a complementary medicine practioner. My advice is to get into LCing and see how you feel and eventually to cut back on meds if you and your dr. agree to it. Good luck to you.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 18:43
Registered Member

Stats: 212/172/168
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have now come off Zoloft, not for diet related reasons, but if I had to I would say it made no difference to my diet one way or the other.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 22:12

Stats: 130.5/129.5/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile

You might try www.depressionforums.com for information about SSRIs and weight loss. There's a whole forum just for Zoloft. Many of the folks are low carbers. My husband's an MD, and he claims that the pharmaceutical reps will not admit that most ADs cause weight gain -- whether to a slowed metabolism or to the return of appetite after the depression lifts, i t's anyone's guess.
Paxil, another SSRI, is notorious for weight gain. Wellbutrin (and, in some cases, Effexor) causes weight loss in some individuals (gaining weight is a rare, but possible, side effect). My husband thinks that low carbing is the only way to diet. Counting calories doesn't work -- the body can see that coming a mile away. LOL! Low carbing blindsides the metabolism (I believe The Protein Power Plan has the best metaphor for the little "man" who lives in our brain and is constantly increasing our appetite JUST before a major whoosh. I never knew that!! What a dirty player!) Some of the regulars here would know if this is the correct book title.

There's a theory that the SSRI's wreck havoc with insulin levels. If you are familiar with _Turn Off The Hunger Switch_ then you know that carbs are dangerous. After reading the book --which goes into detail about the various types of dieters...some are influenced by dopamine levels (Wellbutrin) and others are sensitive to seratonin (Prozac, Zoloft, etc) and so on -- I started Atkins immediately. I didn't agree with the author's suggestion to add ephedra to Wellbutrin/Effexor. With the low carb diet, I should think that ephedra -- or any appetite suppressant -- would be unnecessary. Just look at all of the zero carb foods available! :-) So, it seems to me that low carbing is a safe, healthy way to lose weight/inches.

Carbs have also been nailed for premature aging -- namely wrinkles (see _The Wrinkle Cure_). They're just horrible for the body in every way.