Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 21:02
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default your postworkout meal?

Can you guys post your postworkout meal/shake?
I cut out carbs completely for the last two weeks after my workouts and I'm thinking about consuming some Twinlab Ultra Fuel after lifting again.
So what does your after workout meal or shake look like??
Trainerdan, I know your not doing the CKD anymore but I would like to know what your postworkout shake consisted of. Good luck with the bulking.
west on 46, Yanick, Christian1, anyone??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 23:36

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

I use one or two Met-rx Ultra Protein drinks. They've got about 3 carbs each, a little under 200kcals. Taste good.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 05:31

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:

I use two scoops of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey = 220 cals, 44 protein, 4 carbs. Also include one teaspoon of glutamine and everyonce in awhile i will add a tablespoon of flax oil
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 09:53
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the replies DougH and Bigdog.

For the last two weeks I've been using two scoops of whey protein and 15 grams of glutamine. I'm staying away from fat post workout because it will only slow down the absorbtion of the protein into the muscles.
But at the same time I am concerned with consuming protein by itself.
Won't consuming protein by itself postwork cause glucogenosis(sp)??
If this is the case, will glucogenosis kick you out of ketosis??
Whats the deal here? Should I start drinking my Ultra Fuel again or just stick with the whey and glutamine? I would rather opt for full recovery with the Ultra Fuel if the whey and glutamine is kickin me out of ketosis anyway.
Any suggestions?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 10:08

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Bull
Thanks for the replies DougH and Bigdog.
But at the same time I am concerned with consuming protein by itself.
Won't consuming protein by itself postwork cause glucogenosis(sp)??
If this is the case, will glucogenosis kick you out of ketosis??

Yes, there is such a thing as gluconeogenesis from protein, but how this affects ketosis seems to depend on the person and the state of depletion.

For example: I have a very hard time getting into ketosis; while trying, I avoid having protein-only meals and in fact go on 0.5 g/lb with lots of fat for a couple of days. However, once I am in ketosis, I can eat 100+ grams of protein in a sitting and it doesn't kick me out.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 12:25

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:

Hmm, this thread is making me think I'm not consuming enough fat. I never get a ketostix read, but do get the taste/sensation of ketosis a little bit after a hard workout. It goes away after a protein drink or lc meal.

I had some blood work done in July, prior to starting lc, that showed very high insulin (triple the normal range).
I wonder if eating lots of protein is kicking up my insulin and halting the fat loss.
I'm going to get re-tested soon, to see where this is heading after 10 weeks of lc. If I'm pre-diabetic, this could perhaps be part of the carb-up problem that I described elsewhere.

West, you have a tall chilled glass-o-flax every day? How do you take this in?

Iron, you said in an earlier thread that it's taken you three years to lean down from 240 to where you are now. What do you attribute your success to? Was your body highly resistant at first?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 12:42

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:

You guys are making me reconsider my daily rituals also. I may have to go back to adding flax oil to the morning shake.

Two weeks ago I had 1-2 tablespoons of flax oil in my shakes and i was hitting my caloric goals for the day. I lost about 3 pounds that week.

Last week i didnt use the flax and (coincidentally or not) I was under my caloric goal each day. At the end of the week I hadnt lost any weight.

I wonder if it was a combination of not having enough calories, not having enough fat and having too much protein that kept me from losing last week?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 12:51

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6

Doug - no, it's not me! I'm not using flax right now, although yous guys are reminding me that I probably should.

I used to get flax meal from The Vitamin Shoppe and make it into a shake of itself. It wasn't great tasting by any stretch. I didn't notice any smashing results for fat loss. At some point I tried bulking on CKD and one of my ideas was to lift in the mornings and follow with a shake consisting of flax and whey. At the time I was using androstenediol also. The combination of all these things did work to some degree - added about 5 lbs total weight with some fat loss at the same time, but I'm not sure what exactly did the trick.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 13:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug H

Iron, you said in an earlier thread that it's taken you three years to lean down from 240 to where you are now. What do you attribute your success to? Was your body highly resistant at first?

I actually think I started closer to 250 pounds. It took me like 8 months to lose 75 pounds. I wanted to be really thin with no bodyfat before I could rebuild my body to what I wanted it to look like. I didn't care about muscle loss. I did cardio 5 days a week and trained with weights 5 days a week. My diet consisted of oatmeal, sweet potatoes, vegatables and protein and no fat whatsoever. I use to drink 2 Myoplex lite shakes everyday. I reached my first goal when I got down to 7 % bodyfat with no muscle(skinny).
Then I started to slowly increase calories and carbs and started lifting real heavy and cut down on the cardio in order to build muscle. I eventually put on 35 pounds using a 30/50/20 protein/carb/fat ratio. I ate really clean during the week and then ate whatever I wanted on the weekends. Then I started a cutting cycle with a low carb/high protein diet. Then I started bulking again once I got down to my desired bodyfat and so on and so on and so on.
I don't think I ever had problems with insulin sensitivity or insulin resistance. I am just really careful about my carbs when I come off a cutting cycle. I make sure to consume only low GI, fiberous carbs unitl I feel my body has adjusted.

Last edited by Iron Bull : Tue, Sep-24-02 at 13:28.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 16:07

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default post-workout

Immediately following my workouts, I take 20g of BCAA/L-glutamine mix. I do/did that right after my last set.

About 30 mins later, I drink an Isopure pre-bottled whey drink. It has 40g protein and 5g of L-glutamine in it.

About an hour later, I take in a meal. Or have a shake of a protein blend (slower acting proteins), containing about 50g protein and low-carbs. This is the meal that has some fat in it (flax oil, cream).

I try to avoid fat in the first hour following workouts. Just superstitious I suppose.