Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 12:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/208/195
BF:30/20/15
Progress: 83%
Thumbs up Could always use a buddy or 2

Been on Protein Power since July 19, 2002..began at 270..currently at 238.5..so I am a loser..*pun intended..smiles*.

Its always nice to have a someone..or a few to share successes and frustrations..so if your interested, you know the drill..lol..if not..good luck to one and all..it isnt THAT hard..at least not for me..breakfast is the only truly BORING meal..otherwise, I am likeing the lo carb WOE..

Jim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 16:54

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%

Hi Cossack,
I agree breakfast is boring, nothing brought an a.m. smile to my face quicker than a huge glazed donut....how are eggs supposed to replace that
Congrats on the weight loss Glad to hear you're finding it all pretty easy. For me it has gotton easier but the
start was hard. Now if I can just keep myself from thinking I can afford to eat some of those fav. carbs I've been so long with out,
I will have it made through another phase of losing.
I don't know about the plan you're on, I'm a mix of Go and General LC-ing.... works for me.
greentea
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 17:21

I miss cereal..I LIVED on it..and bagels..but I do like eggs..just need to get creative..gonna try those pork rind pancakes I think..just gotta get some SF syrup first.

Am on Protein Power..somewhere around the 20 to 30 g carbs a day, with the odd 'oops'..like thin crust pizza last friday..mmmmm..and no weight gain..

Been trying to eat a BIT more..since I've lost alot..31 lbs in 2 months..I dont want my bod going into metabolic slowdown..tho I am lucky..I lose easily..12 yrs ago..I went from 292 to 186 in about 8 month..but looked so skinny..lost to mch muscle..this time..I wont..and I dont feel like I am on a diet..really..cuz..I'm NOT..its a way of life..right.

thanks for the reply greentea..smiles.

Jim
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 20:52

Thumbs up Right, it's a WOL

Ahhhh cereal, used to even have a bowl before I went to sleep back then I thought I was doing something good
You sound like you've really learned from past experience...some of us have to run into the wall a few times before we "dah" wake up.
Remember the Cambridge diet When I was at my
heaviest I went on that and dropped 30 plus lbs in less than a summer. Had I only known about LC-ing I could have followed up with that and not gone through years of doing the yo-yo thing.
Have read a lot of good reviews on the PR pancakes. There is even a low carb syrup people are finding in their stores...(not around here ) I'm not into pork rinds, maybe I just haven't found the right brand
How are you keeping track of your carb and kcal intake?
Do you use fitday? Are you taking vitamins?
So, lack of Kcal can slow the metabolism....thought I was just getting old. I do have a problem getting enough kcal's .....get full faster now for some reason and tend to forget to eat.
I sure FEEL like I'm eating all of the time
I'd like to start making healthy shakes of some sort...
think that would help my breakfast blahs....
greentea
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 07:46

For the lo carb syrups..try your local Walmart pharmacy..they have a diabetics section in Canada anyway..and stock some LC syrups, no idea how they taste mind you..smiles.

I agree, wish I had been lo carb sooner so by now I'd have myself an arsenal if killer recipes, know my body and what I can and can't do to it..visa vie the carbs..ahh..to be young AND wise..eh!

I dont really track my cal count..since I dont really track the fat I am taking in..I am certain tho, it wasnt very much for a while there, so have added a bit more..
I take in about 120 g or so of Protein for 480-500 cal
20-30 g of carbs for another say 120 cal
fat?..beats me..I should track it better..say 50 g avg for 450 cal
I would guess?..I am somewhere in the 1100-1400 cal range..maybe too low for a big guy like me..???

How about you?..similar?,,what do you do to up the fat?..I've only had bacon once..eat sausages/pepperoni's a bit, macadamia nuts and almonds recently but I tend to supplement protein with shakes..Designer Whey..35 g protein, around 3 g or carbs and only a few g of fat..hmm..should I make it half and half with olive oil?..lmao..

anyway..keep working at it..

Jim
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 21:19

Hi Cossack,
I don't count kcal at all... tried fitday a few times but find it a bit of a hassle entering everything and "guesstimating" but the few times I did I was pretty low in everything but protein.
I come from a long history of FF and LF eating so its hard for me to grab the fat I do eat a lot more of the good fats. I started eating avacados again and snack on walnuts and almonds. Also,
eat "real" cheese. Yogurts I still buy the lowest carb and light kinds...light whip cream etc. Some habits are hard to break.
Just finished more shrimp scampi and I know it had a lot of fat in it because of the garlic/butter sauce Seafood is my favorite!
I also drink about 100oz of water a day....I know where every bathroom in NE Ohio is
Ahhh WalMart, my second home, never thought to look by the pharmacy...I will check it out, thanks.
Yea, 1100 - 1400 kcals sounds pretty low...don't know how tall you are but in general men are supposed to need more. (I'm not going to make a joke there, but I could )
greentea
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 21:39

Hi Green..*chuckling at your post*..I am tall..6'2"..large frame so perhaps I need a bit more FOOD! I bought some s/f syrup at Walmart on my way to work tonight..Sobee's? I think..with Splenda..there was another cheaper one..but sometimes cheaper is yucky..we'll see..gonna try me some pork rind pancakes tomorrow for breakie..which will be about 2 pm for me..post 12 hr night shift..get home..sleep syndrome. As for water..I doubt I hit 100 oz..but I guzzle tons..esp at work..cuz I aint paying for it..lol.

ps..my name is Jim..for the record..and nice to meet ya..enjoys your sense of humour..*notice the u's in many of my words,,its a Canadian thing..eh*

Jim in Winterpeg
*awaiting the cold front..br*
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 05:31

Cool Wake UP

Morning
Yes, caught on to the Canadian "Thing", I can even hear your accent while I'm reading...lol
Sobees, that's familiar, maybe I will find some after all.
Getting ready for work and packed my usual 6oz. tuna, yogurt and cheese...don't know what I'll do when I finally burn out on tuna Let me know how the pancakes turned out, maybe I'll try that some long weekend.
Talk to ya after work
greentea
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:37

Hiya green..accent..I dont have an accent..YOU do..lol..we here in the Prairies are actually VERY neutral..hence we are a recruiting ground for American TV news shows..loking for someone who sounds..neutral..smiles.
I bought the syrup..was 2 kinds..Sorbees and something else..took the expensive one..its yummy..and I made the French Toast version of the pork rind recipe..you can find it in here somewhere..it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Looked like..tasted like FRENCH TOAST!,,mmmmmmmmmm.
I also went to Fitday.com and started up an account so I can track my diet, so yesterday I was around the 1600 cal mark..but that was the usual 3 meals in a regular day..plus since I worked a 12 hr night shift, I took stuff as wel..snack around 10 pm.."dinner" around 130 am..so added that into the previous day..today..woke up about 215 pm..made the french toast stuff..mmmmmmmmmm..will have a light dinner at home and take something to work..so..what kind of weather do ya want..am taking orders...lol..
Hope your workday went swell..and keep on LCing
Jim
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:41

Default Re Tuna

Almost forgot..re the tuna..we have a company here..Maple Leaf Foods that makes canned ham, chicken, turkey..they call em Flakes of Ham (Chicken, Turkey) with a low sodium version..same size as a tuna can..LOW carbs..super low almost none..decent protein for a can..22 g or so, decent fat and YUMMY! If you have someting similar..give it a try..good on a salad..or as a topping on lo carb bread..if you eat such things..mix it with some mayo..or relish..or whatever.

bon appetite!
J
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:56

Unhappy snif, snif

Hi Ruissian czarist er..Cossack
OHHHH I think if I were kicked in the head by a zonkey
(yes, zonkey) it would make me feel better! Getting a wicked cold.
I just know a huge bowl of mashed potatoes would cure me but I'll suffer through I'm such a martyr
Hope to hear you had a lot to eat today before you end up withering away and a Canadian cold front blows you into the Great Lakes.
I'm still full from lunch so I'm going to pop a few cold pills (hope herbnurse doesn't see this, lol) and go lay down.
Check in later.
greentea
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 19:14

Russian?..you insult me..smiles..Ukrainian..Cossacks were ukrainians..mostly..nods..

Sorry about your cold..but how in the world would a bowl of mashed potatoes help..lol..chicken soup I can see..DORITO'S..now a bag of the Zesty Cheese Doritos would DEFINATELY help..lol.
As for withering away..ohh..that is unlikely to happen..lol..am down another lbs tho..and bout some ketostix, tried one tonight. not in ketosis..ot so it said..shrugs..but as long as I am down a pound..dont care if I am in osmosis..ketosis..or not!

Get well..*hands you a kleenex*..and wil catch ya soon.

J
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 02:46

(hee,hee) Sorry about the mix-up...Ukrainian..., I'm smashing my
Franklin at this very moment beast of a thing anyway
Thanks for the kleenex, but i'd rather have the potatoes.....although a Dorito does sound good
Bought some Sweet Sue packs of chicken, 0 carbs, think i'll mix with mayo and take for lunch today.
It's 4:00 a.m. here and this cold has me up, having tea and wishing I had enough nerve to call off of work
Another lb!!!! The way you're going you'll have reached your goal before I've finished my tea.
Ment to weigh in yesterday but forgot. Don't have a scale at home... I haven't found one yet that doesn't fly out my window...craziest thing....
Do you work 12 hours 5 days a week? I was doing that until a few days ago. I cut my night job to 4 hours 3 days a week. In a couple of weeks I'll be working only 1 job 8 hours a day in the hopes of feeling human again instead of a walking zombie.
ummmm......I'll take 75 degrees, partly cloudy mixed with warm El Nino winds and the colors of November as the backround. Could you FedX that please
greentea
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 08:27

Hiya green..hows the cold? Hope your a little better! Was 236 this am..another lb..but I go in spurts..last week i was stuck at 238.5 to 239 no matter what I did..this week..I eat..and eat and whoosh..the lbs vanish.
I work a shift rotation..2 days..2 nights..each 12.25 hrs..then 5 off..sort of what a fireman might do..cept I dont sleep at work..lol.

On days off now til next Tues..so have stuff to do around the house..sneak in a little workout here and there..have the fall supper at church on Sunday..am guessing almost ALL bad food..smashed taters, in my case, perogies, lord knows what else..so..for this week and next..i am switching to the Metabolic Diet..lol..and will carb load..this Sunday..then next Saturday night is our big Hockey Draft (a guy thing eh) where we pick a fantasy team..make macho bravado bets about who will beat whom..eat Hooters chicken wings and guzzle beer..nother carb load..but I've been so saintly..I deserve one.
Catch ya soon..get some rest and nail that scale to the floor..lol.
Was looking at a Body fat one..by Tanita..expensive but maybe a better tool for assesment of fat loss. I'll see.
Later tater.
J
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 13:56

Cossack,
OMG, how can you carb out like that! I've gained just reading your reply What amazes me is that you'll come back weighing even less I haven't had a beer in months and just recently intro'd wine back into my life (thankfully with no ill effects )
I will be with you in spirit at the church dinner, you'll find me hovering over the "smashed taters" lol.
Sky full this a.m. with Canadian geese heading your way....I thought they left here because the cold was coming, why do they
go there? Isn't it as cold or colder????? I teach language arts not zoology, so educate me
Stuffed flounder and stuffed butterfly shrimp tonight... I really need to get some beef or bison! I'm growing gills
Good luck Saturday doing the "Guy thing" hope you win big, you're going to need a lot of Tums.
oh, and thanks, feeling better!
greentea