Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 22:31

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Question Need advice on supplements and protein powder/shakes

Can anyone recommend any perticular supplements and protein shakes?

I want a regular multi-vitamian...(but there are so many kinds and variations and brands..ugh)...

I've been drinking a mega whey protein shake that has about 4 carbs in it, and 40grams of protein per serving. BUT no vitamians or anything else in it, and the taste kind of sucks. I get it from GNC, but I can't tell if I'm getting screwed or not. I pay $44 once a month, for 4lbs of mix that last all month. Is that average?

I was browsing around on netrition looking at their supplements (eck I got lost on that site though cause theres so many) and they have some shake mixes but they're like 2lbs and $25 each.. So it would end up more then what I'm paying now. So should I stick with what I got?

And I want a pottassium, calcium and magnesium (sp?) supplement, but rather take 1 multi pill for all 3... Anyone know any good ones and on the cheap side ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 08:38

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

ordering supplements online is much cheaper than GNC.

I buy my whey protein powder online. At GNC it costs around $25 for 2lbs, from DPS nutrition (http://www.dpsnutrition.com) I can get 5 lbs for $26 + 5 Shipping.

so for 5 or 6 more dollars i get another 3 lbs of powder.

I buy generic multi-vitamins from Sam's or Wal-Mart, they are cheap and are comparable to the name brands.

I have seen calcium/magnesium combo pills, but never with potassium in them, that doesnt mean they dont exist, it jsut means i have nevr seen them.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%

I take a potassium, calcium, magnesium pill. It is made by Twin Lab, a very reputable company. I find it in a local health and nutrition store.

For a good protein shake, try Simply Protein made by EAS. It is sweetened with stevia, (not suppose to give an insulin high) and tastes very good, I like the chocolate It costs around $30 for a 5 lb. cannister and has 20g of protein per serving. I mix my flaxseed oil with it.

Last edited by toughguy : Sun, Sep-22-02 at 09:38.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 19:31

Ya thanks guys.

I've been thinking of buying the EAS Simply Protein 5lb shake for like 25 bucks.. that's HALF of what I'm paying now. And it's like getting another pound free....lol

But I'm getting screwed on 20grams of protein.. since their shake is 20, and mine is 40....

Hmm. I'm probably going to get it anyways. I can always add an extra scoop or 2 since I do got that extra lb....lol

Any comments on the taste of the chocolate flavors? I hate berry flavors and vanilla flavors always taste like friggen baby formula.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 07:25

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

For calcium/magnesium/potassium I buy GNC Calcimate Plus 800. I got 240 tablets for $20, and if you have a gold card, you can get the second bottle for 1/2 price.

For protein shakes, I have been using a brand called Nature's Best Isopure. I use it because it has 50 g of protein per serving, it also has 5 g of glutamine and some other things too. The chocolate has 1 carb and tastes good, strawberry has zero and tastes ok (I still count it as one carb, it has sucralose). They also make vanilla, but I haven't tried it yet. It is expensive, $45, but they do last a month or so.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 12:41

BF:

Quote:
I've been thinking of buying the EAS Simply Protein 5lb shake for like 25 bucks.. that's HALF of what I'm paying now. And it's like getting another pound free....lol

Check the servings for each of those Slim, you are actually making out better with the EAS.

Serving size for GNC Mega Whey - 65 grams and you get 40 grams of protein.

Serving size for EAS Simply Protein Complete Whey - 28 grams and you get 20 grams of protein.

To get 40 grams of protein from EAS you need 2 servings = 28 grams * 2 = 56 grams.

So it actually takes less EAS to get the same amount of protein.

now lets look at prices

EAS from www.netrition.com 5 lbs for $29.95 +$4.95 for shipping = $34.90. 5lbs = 2.268 kg = 2268 grams / 56 grams per serving = approx 40 servings (40 gram protein) $34.90 for 40 servings = $0.88 per serving

GNC $44 for 4 lbs. 4 lbs = 1.814 kg = 1814 grams / 65 grams per serving = approx 28 servings. $44 for 28 servings = $1.57 per serving

You are paying almost twice as much per 40 gram serving of protein if you buy the GNC.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 13:57

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

My preference for protein powder is American Whey Chocolate. 1 oz serving yields 20grams protein and 6grams carbs. Yes, you can get higher find fewer carb mixes but they taste like drinking chalk. I think its the best tasting-highest protein/carb ratio powder out there. You can get 10lbs regularly online for about $80, sometimes a bit less on sale, vigorousliving.com has it for $68.95 right now, flat shipping rate of $5. If you want to try 3lbs. is going for $24.

Regards,
Lux
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 15:26

BF:

Lux if you have the chance try Optimum Nutritions 100% whey, i think the chocolate tastes very good. 20 grams of protein with only 2 grams of carbs
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 06:25

Damn! Thanks Big Dog!

lol I knew it was cheaper and I was getting an extra pound, but never realized all that. I'm gonna be *finally* ordering the EAS simple whey since its only like 25bucks, Only problem is I don't think its isolate so it might be chalky

Anyone got any info on how the chocolate tastes and mixes? I don't always feel like using the blender.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 08:06

BF:

no problem, i was bored yesterday

I haven't tried the EAS but I can mix my Optimum Nutrition with a spoon.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 23:39

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Have not tried Optimum Nutrition, wonder if they would send a sample if I called them direct ? If it mixes easy and is 4gr less carb per Oz I like to give it a taste.

Regards,
Lux
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 05:33

BF:

I sent them an email asking for a sample of the Pina Coloda flavor. I will let you know if i get a response.

If nothing else go to GNC and buy some, they are very good with returns if you dont like the taste.