Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: None, now
Stats: 222.5/241/140 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: -22%
Question Real Counts?!! - cottage cheese, edamame beans

Hi,

How do you count cottage cheese? I use the 1% (the higher-fat one tastes kind of gross to me, tho maybe I'll try it again...), and on teh box it says 6g per 1/2c - but in the PP gram counter, it's 6g per ONE cup. Any insights?

ALSO - has anyone used edamame beans? They're these really tasty soy beans that are sold frozen, and on the package it says they have 6g protein and 5g carb per 1/2 c, BUT also 5g fiber... Anyone have another count for this??

Thanks!
Inna

Last edited by innani : Sat, Sep-14-02 at 06:05.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 11:31
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Inna:

Go with what is on the package for the cottage cheese. Maybe another brand has more favorable numbers if you can't eat the full fat cottage cheese.

I don't have the edamame beans you talk about, but I have the Eden brand organic black soy beans in a can. A one-half cup serving contains 5.7g fat, 11g protein, 8 g carbs (of which 7g is fiber) = 1 gram net digestible carbs. I also have a can of Bombay Organic Soya Beans (white ones) and a serving contains 8g fat, 15g protein, 9g carbs (6 g fibre, 3g sugar) = 3 g net carbs.

I didn't know what edamame beans were, so now I know they are green soybeans. I guess we have counts for each color now. When I was looking them up, I found these nutrition counts from another website, but they were based on a 2/3 cup serving: 2g fat, 6g protein, 5g carbs (5g fiber, 1g sugar) -
http://www.sunrich.com/hn/products/...e_nutrition.gif

With the US labelling system, the rounding system makes for some inconsistencies. It looks like there is between .5 and 1 gram of sugar in a 2/3 cup serving of endamame beans. I would guess that your 1/2 cup serving was small enough to bring the sugar count to less than 1/2 g/serving. Kind of the same issue with mayonnaise labelling. So go ahead, enjoy.

I'm going to look for some myself. How do they compare in taste to the white or black soy bean? I did notice, however, that the black and white soybeans are higher in protein (if that is a concern). The green soy beans are almost all fiber, which is also good, depending on one's needs.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 11:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
How do they compare in taste to the white or black soy bean?

Since they are frozen and not dried or canned, the texture is much firmer. Sort of like a cross between a lima bean and fresh peas.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 14:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/243/190
BF:
Progress: 13%

Whew, edamame beans are okay.

I have a package of them in the freezer 5g carbs but 5g fiber, but when I looked on the Atkins carb counter it lists 6.2 net carbs.

I ate some at a sushi place for lunch today and nearly freaked when I checked the carb counter on Atkins.

Last edited by sprice : Wed, Sep-18-02 at 14:35.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 15:57
Mad Scientist

BF:

I'm a bit confused as well. My carbcounter shows soybeans at 6.2 g net/ 1/2 cup serving. Pinto beans are 1.7 g net/ 1/2 c. serving.

Yet for the same size servings, my black soy beans on the label show 1 g net carbs (not 6.2). And my can of pinto beans shows 12 g net carbs (18 g - 6 g fiber).

The numbers don't jive. I'll just go by the label of the food and see how I feel after eating the beans. I had the black soy beans today and felt no insulin response whatsoever. I get an insulin response after eating other kinds of beans though.

Nutrition is definately not an exact science. The method of collecting nutritional data, if I recall correctly, approximates values based on water weight. However, I wouldn't quote me on that. I'll have to find that information, unless someone else has it.

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 11:42
Mad Scientist

BF:

Sprice:

I'm throwing the towel in on these ECC counts. I already posted a question about the following info I got from the Atkins site:

Quote:
wifefor30yrs: Is it okay to subtract the fiber count from the carbohydrate count of an item, and is this both soluble and insoluble fiber?

Dr. Atkins: There is no way to be certain, from a label, which fiber is digestible or non-digestible. A rough estimate, however, is that 50% of the fiber grams may be deducted from the total carbohydrate count. With Atkins products, we've netted out the non-digestible (insoluble) fiber, which doesn't have an impact on blood sugar or insulin. You'll see it called "Net Atkins Carbs" on our packaging.

So I guess the fiber count is divided in half, meaning that 2.5 grams of fiber ARE digestible. This is terribly frustrating.

I hope I haven't confused you as much as I am now confused.

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 12:23
Forum Founder

BF:

I always use the USDA Database which is the one we have on the forum. It's impartial and everything is laid out for you. I use that as my baseline and no other unless I have to find information not included in the Database. My next choice is then Corinne T. Netzers Complette Book of Food Counts, then an internet search.

Soluble fiber forms a gel when mixed with liquid, while insoluble fiber does not. Insoluble fiber passes through your digestive tract largely intact.

Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, certain fruits, and psyllium. With certain plans, we don't have to worry much about those, unless we choose to eat them or they're part of the plan.

You'll drive yourself crazy diddling around trying to find the "right" carb counts. Depending on the source of carbs - as in most high fiber vegetables are usually just fine - a gram here or there is not the end of the world. Going mental about it is. Stress prevents weight loss!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 16:30
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen

Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, certain fruits, and psyllium.

Sorry, Karen, I missed this on my other post. So soluble fiber is found in psyllium? For some reason, I thought psyllium was an insoluble fiber used for maintaining "regularity". Hmmm, now I know why psyllium makes me feel so full.

Thanks,
Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 21:11
Registered Member

Plan: None, now
Stats: 222.5/241/140 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: -22%

so - if i take psyllium, do i need to count the carbs in it??

(this is getting confusing!)
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 01:05
Forum Founder

BF:

5 grams or 1 1/2 tsp. of pure psyllium husk powder contains 2.3 grams of carbs.

Now spinach is an interesting fiber filled vegetable. One cup of cooked spinach contains 6.75 g of carbohydrates and 4.32 g of fiber. So, the effective carbs would be 2.43 g.

Karen