Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 22:26
Have A LC Margarita!

Plan: PMSF
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Secret to success... really!

I know this sounds really obvious but I thought I needed to share. For all those people who are having problems with staying on plan or stalling, seriously, the answer is exercise.

I know it's plastered everywhere that it's important to exercise, but I used to be one of those lazy ppl who would rather cut cals or carbs than exercise.

I just can't explain how much easier it makes everything!

Once you go like 3 times it's not a chore anymore and your body craves it. You feel wonderful about yourself!

It totally helps you stay on plan, it puts you in a healthy state of mind, you don't even have cravings or want to eat bad.

It's kinda like buying something with cash or credit card. When all you have to do is swipe a CC it's more guilt free and you don't think about how much money you are spending. But when you have cash and have to count it out and then see how much you've spent it's more impactful. It's like that with eating and exercise. You see how hard you just worked and it makes that cake or french fry just unappealing.

I am seriously like addicted to exercise right now, and I am happier than ever! For all those ppl who have had problems like mine, give exercise a chance, and give it 100%! You will love it and those pounds will melt away. To be clear, I am talking about cardio exercise. I have been doing cardio about 5x a week...

Anyway I just know how I used to be and I feel so much better now that I felt I had to share
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 00:19
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

I will second that. Exercise has GREATLY improved my body as well. And I feel awesome after a good workout.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 01:03
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

I agree, exercise is the most important component of changing to a new state of mind.

It is like a generator providing mental energy for a new lifestyle.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 01:49
Registered Member

Plan: fsdfsdf
Stats: 34234/32423/3242 Female sfsdfsdf
BF:
Progress:

but exercise needs Carbohydrates, and alot of it too...

so u might not be able to keep it for long...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 02:27
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

For regular cardio, a keto diet will work just fine. For weight lifting and intense interval cardio, you will most likely need more carbs, but you can still remain in ketosis, if you wish.

Urban, I hear ya, and TOTALLY AGREE!!! Exercise is awesome.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 02:28
Have A LC Margarita!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthydani
but exercise needs Carbohydrates, and alot of it too...

so u might not be able to keep it for long...

I haven't had any problems at all... and like I said I have been doing cardio 5x a week, sometimes back to back classes.. and I am keeping up with everybody if not doing more cause I am lovin it!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 03:39

Plan: My own
Stats: 253/152/133 Female 5'5 ft
BF:
Progress: 84%

I hated exercise and still.. I am bored to do any exercise when I go to the gym.. but when I finish my exercises I feel much better and after 8 months in gym I concluded that I am addicted to it too. Is this good? and didn't have any problems at all with the carbs thing.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 04:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.8/164.1/149.6 Female 165 cm  5' 4"
BF:>30%/19%/12%
Progress: 59%

It's true that exercise becomes a habit, just like anything else in your life. If you can make yourself stick to it for the first 2-3 weeks, then all of a sudden it's simply part of your life that you can't do without.

In regards to the need for carbs during exercise - I had that issue this weekend as I had a Tennis comp to participate in, and wasn't sure if I was going to need to eat more carbs to perform at my best. I ended up carb loading - but in hindsight after reading this article:

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

I shouldn't have bothered!

Definitely am not going to carb load again, does more harm than good once your body is used to the whole LC WOE.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 08:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree, exercise rocks. And it doesn't have to be heavy lifting and lengthy cardio classes, the way most of us tend to think of it. Just do something, because something is always better than nothing. IMO, the 70/30 principal applies to exercise - 70% of the benefit comes from the first 30% of the effort.

If you're like me and you see it as a chore, work exercise into your daily routine. If you have to mop the floors anyway, put on some fast music and put some real elbow grease into it. If you have to go to the store, walk, bring a backpack and carry things home on your back. Do you think I bother exercising on days I have to do drudge work? No way!

I also like to rotate my activities. Right now, repetative lifting/resistance training sounds about as appealing as a root canal. I know I'll get enthusiastic about it again eventually, but for now, I'm just doing yoga. Do whatever is appealing to you so that you're more likely to stick with it.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Aug-28-05 at 08:08.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 10:25

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Last year, literally in early Sept DH and I got our new program guide for the YMCA. DH said he was going to drop the membership because nobody was using (going to) the Y. I took a look at that silly book and I said will you give me two months. He groaned and said OK. I am approaching the one year mark 9-13 will be the day of going to the Y. I go 5-6 times a week. I do weight training and cardio. I absolutely LOVE it. I would have to agree exercise is a huge key to doing this WOL correct. Thanks for the cool thread.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 11:54
Have A LC Margarita!

BF:

I am so glad that I am not an exercise junkie alone. I just know that I always thought I could do it with diet only, but what I didn't know is that exercise helps with diet, and helps it become a WOL!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 12:02

Plan: PSMF (from Veg Atkins)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI 41.8/29.6/23.5
Progress: 73%

Urban-- how long do you do cardio for? What machines and what intensity? I have been going about 3 times a week so far, for about 75 minutes at a time. Just curious what you do. You must be doing crunches too! Great abs!

PB
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 12:12
Have A LC Margarita!

BF:

PB- it's different every day. If I do a class they are always 1 hour. Days when I just do treadmill or elliptical I do 30 min, usually burning 250-300 cals. I do pilates for my abs! I have had strong abs but they were just sort of hidden cause I wasnt doing much cardio. I still have a little bit to go to goal but at this rate it's gonna be no time at all!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 21:22

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 232/194.0/130 Female 66 inches
BF: yes, it is!
Progress: 37%

I think if you are following plan, drinking plenty of water, and even exercising, sometimes stalls happen for whatever reason.
The important thing is to keep our eyes on the horizon and not on how well we can see our feet.
We are in this for the long haul. If you are stalling, do all you can, but still- give it time. Our bodies are going through radical change.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Well Urban, that picture of your belly surely wants one to go do some cardio, wow, what a result!!