Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-00, 19:28
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation Re: SAD

Quote:
Originally posted by r.mines
Maybe we can help each other through the coming dark winter months . . . ?

Took the words right out of my mouth (or keyboard, I should say). I hereby do solemnly swear to give you a verbal boot in the ass whenever you appear to need it, as long as you so swear to do the same for me!!

Quote:
I have a light box - For me, it seems to work best if I use it for a whole hour in the morning, and then another hour in the late afternoon.

Yes, using it later in the day is a recommended treatment for nighttime munchies and carb cravings. It works, too . BTW, how strong is yours? Mine is 10,000 lux, and I get headaches if I use it for more than 1/2 hr at a time. Mind you, I have migraines, maybe that is the problem. I also have to wear sunglasses in winter, but here in the Ottawa area, we often get a lot of snow, so there is glare reflecting, even on dull days it seems bright out.

Quote:
For me, it's not really a depressive thing, it's more of a hibernation thing. ......then I start beating up on myself.

Me too. Of course, I get the extra whammy of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Doesn't seem to affect my sense of humour though! I used to get depressed years ago, partly because I didn't know what the hell was wrong with me (nothing) and partly because I felt guilty that I was letting other people down, because I was always the chauffeur, money lender, hotel keeper (my house was like a drop-in center), disaster and crisis fixer-upper, everyone just loved good ol' Doreen until I got sick, now they have no time, say I'm no fun to be with. I say f**k you, I think I'm a bloody riot Now, I take advantage of the solitude; I call it "coccooning". I use the time to do things for myself, creative things like my painting. I'm in the process of setting up a corner of this here computer room as a "studio". My brother built me a nifty easel that I can raise or lower for standing/sitting. And I don't apologise to anybody because I'm not available to entertain them anymore. They can go find somebody else to control.

Here are a few websites that have a bit more info (not a lot though)
1. From U of Alberta, this is an article about "winter blues" as opposed to full-blown SAD http://www.crha-health.ab.ca/clin/w...ejan.htm#winter

2. From Clarke Institute in Toronto, a Q&A format interview with Dr. Robert Levitan, rather techy. but up to date http://www.camh.net/CLARKEPages/abo...ffective_d.html

3. MentalHelp.net Humor forum, funny stuff here
http://community.mentalhelp.net/for...rums.html#humor

take care,
Doreen