Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 20:13

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Starkist Canned Cardboard (err, tuna with no added salt ) has 35 mg per serving. By the way, I think the serving sizes on all these canned fishes are 2 ounces - check yours. You get my sarcasm I hope - it's not great tasting by any stretch!

However, recently I started using potassium salt substitute and it tastes quite fine. I dig it since now I don't have to buy any extra potassium supplements.

I figure that once I am in ketosis I can eat the salted variety without any water retention issues, but coming off a carbup I'd rather not. I run for my cardio, so extra weight on my knees is NOT welcome.

One of these weeks when I am feeling experimentative, I might try it and see what happens to my daily changes in weight, which should reflect extra water retained.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 20:18

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

yeah serving size is two ounces but when i pulled up the nutritional info in fitday it gave me the values for one ounce.

I usually buy the generic cans myself, but i always keep a couple pouches in my desk drawer incase i am running late and dont have time to mix some up in the morning.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 07:22

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally posted by west_on_46

Speaking of carbups and how they can stick it to ya, right now I am looking my daily weight chart compiled over the past three months, and it's coming to me that a very important determinant of whether a carbup "fills or kills", so to speak, is activity. On a number of occasions I did a lot of walking during the weekend and those (the 18K among them) were near-perfect. On a number of other occasions I sat on my arse and ate and ended up much heavier, even though I ate less and the activity wouldn't have accounted for the difference anyway. I guess that the increased insulin sensitivity does not last the entire 48- or even 36-hours of a carbup from the depletion only, and needs to be refreshed by some activity. Even though Duchaine and Lyle said to sit on your arse all day and eat during the carbup. Again, another theory for yous to throw darts at.

Oh.. okay. I waited until today to get on the scale, and although I know I went from 157 to 160 over the weekend, only 1lb came back off so far. Maybe I should've waited until Friday to weigh? I don't know.

Also, I'm feeling a bit weaker, too. I'm using the low end of the CKD parameters sheet. I sure as heck don't want to gain weight, and I don't think it's possible to gain 2lbs of LBM in a week! LOL... wouldn't THAT be nice! So I'm wondering if I didn't do something right and put on fat? Man, that would suck big time.

If I wanted to increase energy and accelerate the fat loss, would I up the carbs, or up the protein and fat????
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 09:24

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6

Quote:
Originally posted by Jalilah
Oh.. okay. I waited until today to get on the scale, and although I know I went from 157 to 160 over the weekend, only 1lb came back off so far. Maybe I should've waited until Friday to weigh? I don't know.

Mind days of the week when comparing weight - Wednesday to Wednesday, Friday to Friday, etc.

Quote:
Also, I'm feeling a bit weaker, too. I'm using the low end of the CKD parameters sheet. I sure as heck don't want to gain weight, and I don't think it's possible to gain 2lbs of LBM in a week! LOL... wouldn't THAT be nice! So I'm wondering if I didn't do something right and put on fat? Man, that would suck big time.

Since intramuscular glycogen and water count as LBM, it is possible to "gain" 2 lbs LBM a week. It's another story that it may well be gone by next week.

To put on 2 lbs of fat you'd have to have overeaten 7000 calories. Have you done that?

Quote:
If I wanted to increase energy and accelerate the fat loss, would I up the carbs, or up the protein and fat????

Up the carbs - more energy, slower fat loss
Up the protein - same energy (more or less), slower fat loss
Up the fat - more energy IF you're in ketosis, same fat loss IF you're in ketosis AND calories are not too high.

In other words, pass on the carbs and try increasing fat/protein ratio without changing the total calories.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 10:55

Quote:
Mind days of the week when comparing weight - Wednesday to Wednesday, Friday to Friday, etc.

Okay. I think I'll start weighing at the end of the week first thing in the morning (Friday). Maybe I'll get a more accurate number.

Quote:

Since intramuscular glycogen and water count as LBM, it is possible to "gain" 2 lbs LBM a week. It's another story that it may well be gone by next week.

Okay... so that can happen, huh? I was just worried that I'd packed on fat.

Quote:
To put on 2 lbs of fat you'd have to have overeaten 7000 calories. Have you done that?

No... I followed the parameters worksheet. The values I was given TOTALS to 3338 cals for day one, and 2336 on day 2. Does that sound okay? Again, these are a TOTAL of the calories for macronutrients for the given day.

Quote:

Up the carbs - more energy, slower fat loss
Up the protein - same energy (more or less), slower fat loss
Up the fat - more energy IF you're in ketosis, same fat loss IF you're in ketosis AND calories are not too high.

That's kind of what I thought. It takes me until Wednesday evening to be in ketosis again (is that unusually slow??)... but it's impossible not to up the calories beyond the suggested max by adding fat. It's so calorie dense.

Quote:

In other words, pass on the carbs and try increasing fat/protein ratio without changing the total calories.

I guess I could try that, but I'm just so worried that I'll get even more tired. I'm REALLY dragging butt today!

You know, I had pretty darn good results last week, and I messed up by increasing everything from day one to day five. I felt really good by Friday, and felt like I'd lost inches for sure. The protein and carbs stayed the same, and the only thing that went up was the fat and calories (because of the fat).

Very strange, huh?

Thanks West!!!! MUCH appreciated.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:

Quote:
Speaking of carbups and how they can stick it to ya, right now I am looking my daily weight chart compiled over the past three months, and it's coming to me that a very important determinant of whether a carbup "fills or kills", so to speak, is activity. On a number of occasions I did a lot of walking during the weekend and those (the 18K among them) were near-perfect. On a number of other occasions I sat on my arse and ate and ended up much heavier, even though I ate less and the activity wouldn't have accounted for the difference anyway. I guess that the increased insulin sensitivity does not last the entire 48- or even 36-hours of a carbup from the depletion only, and needs to be refreshed by some activity. Even though Duchaine and Lyle said to sit on your arse all day and eat during the carbup. Again, another theory for yous to throw darts at.

This is the exact reason why I only carb up on one day a week from 10 am to around midnight after my Saturday morning depletion workout. Then Sunday is right back to keto starting the day off with high intensity cardio before breakfast.

My schedule might start getting even more crazy in a little while This mean less time in the gym and less activity.
I might have to do a one day carb up every 10 to 14 days.
But I will have to see.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 06:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Bull
This is the exact reason why I only carb up on one day a week from 10 am to around midnight after my Saturday morning depletion workout. Then Sunday is right back to keto starting the day off with high intensity cardio before breakfast.

My schedule might start getting even more crazy in a little while This mean less time in the gym and less activity.
I might have to do a one day carb up every 10 to 14 days.
But I will have to see.

Makes sense.

I wonder if doing high GI carbs for only a small part of the day on day 1, and moderate GI carbs on day 2 would work better than just high GI on day 1?

I suppose there's a thousand ways to break this up and change it. LOL... I just want to get through the week's workouts without being too tired----and dreading the workout because of it. Ya know? Too easy to miss workouts when you feel like crapola.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 19:03

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Iron Bull,
I've been meaning to ask you - did you lose all your weight on CKD?