Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 09:53

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Thumbs down Occular Migraines

I have always been prone to occular migraines. However, I notice that I seem to have them more when eating low carb.

I am searching for a good site right now that might tell me what I'm lacking that could cause them or if they really are just random?

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this happens to them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 11:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%

I used to get occular migraines regularly. (I once even got coital migraine, believe it or not...the worst experience I ever had!)

Then I moved to Estonia. Funny, but my imitrex pills, injectables, and inhalers all went unused. I lived there for nearly 3 years and never had a migraine of any sort.

Their diet consists of a lot of fat, protein and carbs--mostly meat and potatoes type of meals. The big difference between there and here, is that they use only fresh, non-processed, with no preservatives. Their vegetables and fruits look yucky in the stores, but they enjoy them and laugh about how americans have cookies and cakes with a shelf life of five years. Most won't even buy tomatoes or other vegetables from certain countries which use chemical fertilizers or hydroponics. Even in terms of medicine, the doctors always recommend something herbal/homeopathic before writing a prescription for chemicals.

I came to the conclusion while there, that my migraines here were likely to pollutants, preservatives, and chemicals--all unnatural to our bodies, and which we use far too much of in this country.

I haven't had a migraine since I returned, but my habits and lifestyle have also changed to an extent. So, I can't tell you if it's a matter of carb quantity or not, but I'd wonder if you are eating more processed foods or new ones--or whether you may be detoxing from something in stuff you've given up.

Not sure if that helps, but it's all I've got.

AJ
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 16:14

Thanks for your thoughts.

Actually, I eat less preservatives eating low carb. Maybe it's withdrawl...

After searching the web, most sites say that they occur as random and unexplained as a regular headache. Some people get a full-blown migraine after the flashing goes away. Others don't.

I am different. As long as I take some sort of pain reliever while the spots and fuzzies are present, I don't get a headache, but if I don't (or can't) I will be in misery.

Some sites even said that ocular migraines are a precursor to a stroke down the line. However, most said that that hasn't been proved and believe they are not connected. Lets hope not.

However, they did say that tearing of the retina is at higher risk during the flashing due to the strain.

I think I've left myself even more curious than when I started this morning.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 22:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

My b/f gets them once in a while. They seem to be random.

Do you eat more of something now that you didn't used to, before LCing? Maybe nitrates in meat, or artificial sweeteners? Dairy?

Just a few thoughts.

(My poor b/f... the only time he's had one since we've lived together, he woke up with one and didn't know either of our names. He was sick and out-of-commission for days.)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 10:03

Smile

Suprisingly enough I don't eat more meats or artificial sweeteners. I've always preferred Sweet n Low or Spenda over sugar for my drinks. I've drank diet pop most of my adult life.

The differences in my diet are limited to the elimination of pasta and bread and all the crap... candy bars, ice cream, jelly beans, sweet rolls (my personal enemy still).

If I could come up with a carb free icing similar to cinnamon roll icing, I swear I'd eat it on pork rinds if I had to.

My caffine levels are consistant... probably too high, but consistant. And I am taking suppliments.

I have decided that maybe they are completely random and will just not worry about them until necessary.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 07:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/220/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi Shelley,

I've noticed this myself. I have had occular migraines since I was a young teen, and like you, if I can take some advil or whatever as soon as I notice my disorientation (which happens before the flashes) then I either won't get a headache, or it will be mild. Throughout my life, these have come and gone, seemingly at random, and I can go months and months without one. I just started back on Atkins two weeks ago, and after being migraine free for at least 6 months, I've had two in the past two weeks. Is it coincidence? Is it stress on your body due to such a big change in diet? Is is the drop in caffeine that I'm (not) getting? Is it more nitrates? (due to eating more bacon). I guess there is really no way to know. Hopefully they will stop again. Even after having them for so many years, I still find them unsettling, especially when they occur when I'm driving. Hopefully yours will also stop soon. Good Luck!

Teresa
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 10:34

Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Lightbulb cre8tivgirl

for the cinnamon roll icing substitute, why don't you sweeten cream cheese with vanilla and Splenda and then thin it down with whipping cream? it probably would work better if the cream cheese was warmed and softened first.

Just an idea ......
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 12:10

Deb: Thanks!! That recipe sounds really yummy! I'll try it!!

Teresa: Yes, driving is the worst. Depending on where I am going (interstate vs. city) I have to pull over and stop sometimes.

Work is another time that it is hard. You have to find a way to either take a 15 minute break or try to focus through it. I had one once when I was working as a flagger in road construction. I knew that I couldn't get pain reliever before it stopped but what could I do?? Luckily my supervisor stopped by and went to a convenience store to get me two packs of tylenol...just in case!

I am going to start taking potassium today. I have noticed that I am getting leg cramping so I know I need it. Maybe it'll affect the migraines as well. I'll report back!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 19:10

Stats: 258/241/155
BF:
Progress: 17%

Ever since I became peri-menopausal I've had the "sparkles" every once in a while...occasionally I do get a headache and very sensitive to light so that I have to wear my sunglasses, even inside. One thing I was told by someone who gets migraines is to leave wine alone...anything with sulfites but wine was the main thing. So it might be a sensitivity to sulfites in the foods ...thought I'd pass that one on.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 19:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I get migraines occasionally (full-blown ones) and a different type of migraine that is more like a moderate headache that just lasts for 3 days no matter what I take. Strangley enough, I haven't had one since I started low carbing 18 months ago. My DH also gets something called cluster migraines...brief, but very intense. I've seen him get one while walking across the room and it literally dropped him to his knees. He says it feels like someone just hit him in the head with a hammer; then 15 or 20 minutes later, it's gone. He hasn't had an attack since he started low carbing, either. It could be completely random, but it could also be triggered by something you are sensitive to like grains, dairy or any other food or even environmental factors, for that matter and would probably be very difficult to pinpoint exactly unless you keep a fairly accurate food journal and then look at what you were eating the day or so before you got one. If you're really determined to track down any cause and effect, it might be a place to start, though.