Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: LC + LowER Cal (~1500)
Stats: 159/155/145?
BF:16%, goal 6-7%
Progress: 5%
Default Random questions...

Hey Everyone!

I'd like to improve my Sugar Buster habits. I don't think I am drinking enough water, but its hard because I just forget at school (plus I cant leave the class everyother minute to go to the bathroom). Any tips?

Second of all, I wanted to ask if any of you use a calorie limit. I didn't see anything about it in the book, it just had regular eating tips (like the amount of food on a plate etc...). I've done this diet before and it worked very well when limiting myself to 2000 cals a day.

I got a personal trainer 2 weeks ago to help with teaching me how to lift weights. I have to say I feel better just doing that! But I think I also need to get aerobics. Do you think half an hour two to three times a week would be enough? I have tons of work to do, but I could fit that in.

Are there any other tricks to reduce the glycemic index of foods (other than fibre and vineger)? Do the Apple Vineger Pills work? What vitamins should I be taking while on this diet? I'm a growing boy and I don't want to hurt my health while doing this..... I want to get all the necesary vitamins. I take a multi-vit pill now, do I need anything else?

Thanks,
Alex

Ps - Have a great weekend! YAY! SLEEP!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 16:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Hello Alex

Hi Alex and welcome to the SB forum.

Firstly, as I mom I have to ask if you are under a doctor's care. If not a good check-up is in order!

Now for the water thing. I find I have the best weightloss if I drink a liter of water first thing in the morning as I'm getting myself ready for work and the kids ready for school. It "primes" my system and I actually feel better being hydrated first thing. So if you can get a liter in before school that would be great. Then at lunch time you can have a bottle of water then. Between classes a big sip or two will help. Now after school will be your time to get in all the rest. I drink three liters a day and I think if you got one drank in the morning, some drank at school you will have no problem getting the rest in for the day. It takes persistance!!

Calories. I don't count them. I have a computer program my husband bought that is extensive and counts not only calories but everything else you can think of. I kept track for about a year so I pretty much know what I'm eating and what it's worth calorically and fat wise. If you are really into counting and you don't have an "issues" with it..go ahead and count! I think with SB you'll be suprized that your caloric intake is low. Make sure your eating enough though!

Exercise. It has to fit into your schedule in order for you to keep it up. Be reasonable about it but do, do what you can. Try Monday, Wednesday and Friday aerobics and Tuesday, Thursday weight training. Throw in a Saturday of hiking, walking or swimming and your well on your way. Remember, sompin is better'n nuthin!!

The tricks for lowering the glycemic levels? Got NO idea but I'll watch this thread to learn them!

Good luck Alex!

Daisy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 17:56
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for your reply Daisy. I am the son of two MDs so I am definetly under the constant vigil of a doctor (I can't decide if thats a good thing or a bad thing....).

I'll try what you said to do. Sounds like a great idea. I have been sooo bad about not drinking water. Erg....persitance...gotta keep going.

Thanks again,
Alex
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 07:02

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hello Alex,

And welcome to the SB Forum!

I am glad to see that your parents are monitoring your progress.

I am wondering though because 150 lbs on a 5'7" male frame doesn't seem overweight to me????? I checked it out on the weight table at the U of PA website and it appears that you are in normal range. That is a great site btw --- it has weight tables and how to determine % of weight loss and % of overweight.

http://www.pennhealth.com/ency/article/001938.htm

Is your personal trainer encouraging weight loss or toning?

That being said: SB is is such a healthy way of eating that I even reccomend it to folks who aren't interested in weight loss. (LOL! I'm such a crusader)

We don't really count calories, or carbs or fat grams. Just use your dinner plate to determine portion control as the authors suggested. Staying away from refined carbs, eating moderate fat and low Gylcemic index foods will automatically control insulin response. which promotes healthy weight.

Is eating lunch at school a problem for you? School lunches are notorious for being heavy on the starches & sugars.

I assume that you are referring to the Gylcemic Load of a meal when you are referring to lowering the gylcemic index of a particular food. Wish I could help but I don't have any experience in that area of Low GI Food Plans. You might want to read The Glucose Revolution or the GI Index Diet. I think they both explore that theory.

HTH ...
molly

Last edited by molly1844 : Sun, Sep-15-02 at 07:08.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 16:12
Registered Member

Hi there!

About your question.... no I am not overweight. I have worked hard to get from mildly obese to where I am now.

I still have a belly though. I'd like to lose 20lbs of fat and replace it with muscle.

Alex