Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 18:44

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Thanks for the recipe, Steve - it looks nice and simple and I'm sure you could add things like blueberries or raspberries to jazz it up. I always replace the granulated Splenda with the equivalent in tablets and/or mix in some Stevia to save carbs.
I'm not a fan of soy flour, but I guess a mixture of it with almonds might be ok to try.
Babs
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/112/105 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 77%

While surfing Waitrose's website I came across a chicken jalfrezi ready meal.

It doesn't have the nutrition counts, but I wondered if anyone can spot anything unfriendly in the ingredients list..

Jalfrezi sauce (60%), cooked marinated chicken (40%). Jalfrezi sauce contains water, onion, tomato purée (10%), red peppers (9%), green peppers (9%), rapeseed oil, onion purée, ginger purée, fresh coriander, garlic purée, salt, paprika, green chillies, ground coriander, chilli powder, ground cumin, fenugreek, turmeric. Cooked marinated chicken contains chicken breast (82%), yogurt (10%), rapeseed oil, paprika, ginger purée, salt, garlic purée, green chillies, garam masala, chilli powder, fenugreek. Garam masala contains coriander, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, chilli, black pepper, clove, nutmeg, cardamom, bay leaf. Product as sold contains chicken 32%. Allergens; contains milk.

I'm slowly learning what ingredients to avoid, and I think this is okay to eat, but is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks.
  #348   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 15:02
Registered Member

Stats: 177/131/126 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 90%

Lozzz,

Looks fairly OK to me - go for it and enjoy!

Jackie
  #349   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 15:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/189/168 Male 5ft8inches
BF:
Progress:
Smile Soy Flour

Hello Babs and thanks for the reply, Im not a fan of Soya Flour either though I do make the Atkins Cheese Bread with it and thats very good, the thing that struck me about my Soya Muffins experiment was that they tasted so good, and not at all Soya like, plus the added advantage of not being so greasy, worth a try I think.
  #350   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 10:57

Plan: my own
Stats: 182/176/140 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 14%

i found today in tesco new carb free sweeteners x zero calories called slimmer brand 99p
  #351   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 07:11

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I found these http://www.debbieandandrews.co.uk/sausages/6.html
sausages in my local supermarket. Only 3.2g for the whole pack of six!
They were really good too. They are gluten free and 97% pure meat.
I must check out their other varieties to see if they are low-carb too.

neo_crone
  #352   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-05, 03:36
Registered Member

Stats: 270/221/210 Male 74"
BF:33/28/25
Progress: 82%
Default Sainsburys currys

Jalfrezi about 8 g in the whole pack
butter chicken about 14 g
Tesco's tikka masala is about 4g for the whole pack!!
  #353   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-05, 06:06
Registered Member

Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

butterd chicken about 14 grams???

no carbs in butter or chicken therefor it must be added sugar three tea spoons on a chicken *yuck*

lez
  #354   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 14:39

BF:

This thread seems to be in a current phase of neglect at the moment. Are the fellow UK low-carbers not finding any new offers or goodies? With Christmas round the corner, I'm keeping an eye out for all the specials on meat to start cropping up.

Anyway, I had a quick question that I was hoping for a speedy answer for before tomorrow.
I bought Sainsbury's Prawn Mayo sandwich filler but am unsure of the ingredients. This is how they read..

Prawns (52%) (Prawns, Water, Salt).

Mayonnaise (47%) (Rapeseed Oil, Water, Egg Yolk, Spirit Vinegar, White Wine Vinegar, Dijon Mustard (Water, Mustard Seeds, Spirit Vinegar, Salt) Salt, Sugar, Modified Waxy Maize Starch, Stabilisers: Guar Gum, Xantham Gum, Acidity Regulators: Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate), Modified Waxy Maize Starch.

I've highlighted the ones I'm most worried about and wondered if anyone knows this amount of sugar or starch would affect me? Also, if they could spot anything else potentially unfriendly. The carb count is 0.3 per 100g which isn't too bad but I'm very anal about sugar being in anything these days.

A quick response would be so very appreciated.

Additionally, I HIGHLY recommend everyone to go buy Spinks Hot Smoked Salmon from Sainsburys. You get four slices in a pack and I ate them all for a light lunch with broccoli. They are pepper, mustard seeds and dill crusted and absolutely delicious. A bit pricey for £3.99 but definitely worth it.
  #355   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-05, 04:42

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

I would go by the total carb count and not worry - at 0.3 the miniscule amount of sugar will hardly register. Ditto for the maize starch. The thing I mainly look out for (after carbs) is hydrogenated oil or transfat - if that's in a product, I simply put it back on the shelf.
And, yes, the UK thread is very quiet but I get the feeling that people either know all they need/want to about LC and just quietly get on with it or else lurk to pick up info on the main forum. The longer I'm LCing, the less I buy of LC products or any processed food as such because I mainly cook from scratch.
Babs
  #356   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-05, 10:09

Stats: 238/189/168 Male 5ft8inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Prawns & Prawns

Seeing the note about Prawn Sandwiches reminded me about last tea time meal, I had an Avocado, which Im not too sure about the carb count, but I eat very little Carbs so feel I can indulge myself from time to time, anyway a few frozen prawns and a dollop of Mayo and I was just about to tuck in when I thought I would splash just a little "Sweet Chillie Sauce" onto the concoction, anyway the result was very good indeed and is highly recomended if you want somthing tasty with a bit of "omph" My initial concern about the carb count of the Sweet Chilli Sauce, which is probably thousands of carbs p/100g, waned when I thought about the actual amount I was useing, and I guess it was just a few carbs worth and in my opinion, highly worth it!!
Steve.
  #357   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 09:06

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Low carb tomato ketchup mixed with mayo makes a good prawn salad dressing for these things.
  #358   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-05, 16:21

BF:

Thanks for the reply to my question. The ingredients seem to be agreeing with me fine.

How many carbs are actually in 100g of prawns? I've read there's hidden carbs in them, this being 1 carb per 100g, but my packet of prawns reads absolutely none.

So I'm hugely confused. Which prawns contain carbs and which do not?
  #359   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 12:52

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:

All prawns contain tiny amounts of carbs

The law allows producers to round down amounts of carbs to the nearest whole number. So something where the label states it has 0g of carb per 100g could legally have anything between 0 and 1 g per 100g. If you're really concerned to keep accurate count, then you may be safest to count 100g of prawns as 1 g of carbs in the same way that Atkins recommends counting 1 oz of hard cheese as 1 g of carb

If you're less concerned and are eating no more than 100g of prawns a day, enjoy the free ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzz
How many carbs are actually in 100g of prawns? I've read there's hidden carbs in them, this being 1 carb per 100g, but my packet of prawns reads absolutely none.

So I'm hugely confused. Which prawns contain carbs and which do not?
  #360   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 13:15

Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

I have always wondered, when they give the nutritional info for things like prawns and nuts, do they discount the values and weights applicable for the shell? Of course any 'normal' person wouldnt eat the shell of a Brazil, but do they have to include it anyway to be accurate for the item they are supplying?

Yep - I do think about boring things when I should be working