Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 21:29

Plan: PP/Atkins/PPLP
Stats: 224/192/150
BF:57%/42%/25%
Progress: 43%
Angry I need help please

I have been LC'ing since May '01. I did very well initially and then slacked off for awhile but maintained. I'm back on the wagon these days and fully committed to this WOL. My problem is... I'm not losing weight like I did last year when I first started LC'ing. The scale has been bouncing around between 196 - 197.5, the tape measure hasn't moved a huge amount either. I can't figure out what the problem is. The first time around I didn't use Fitday, now I am so I can see my %'s and I'm thinking that maybe my fat intake is too high. I take supplements, drink at least 64oz each and every day, am fairly conscientious of what I put in my mouth but nothing is happening. I'm also thinking maybe I need to exercise more regularly. The first time around the weight just melted off me with hardly any effort so I'm really confused with what's going on now.

I would appreciate it if someone would take a look at my journal food entries and offer suggestions or ideas. I'm really feeling frustrated. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 22:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi!

I took a quick boo through your journal and I have a couple of suggestions.

Different things work for different people, so maybe there is a particular culprit hindering your weight loss. I noticed that you often eat a fair bit of cheese and artificial sweeteners. These sometimes cause stalls in certain people, so maybe this could be a problem for you?

Also, many people find it harder the second (or third, or fourth) time around. It's as though their bodies adjust and the weight doesn't come off as quickly as it did the first time. Similar (but not exactly the same) to how our metabolisms slow down when we don't eat enough. The body notices the change and is resistant to it. Have patience though, it will come off.

I noticed also that you do exercise, so maybe you are gaining muscle mass at the same time as you are shedding fat? You mentioned that the tape measure hasn't been moving much either, but we often lose from our outside in first. What I mean here is that you should pay attention to whether or not your rings or watch start to fit differently, and if you (or others) notice a change in your face. If you haven't already, take measurements around your forearms. I lost 2 inches off of each by the time I lost 2 inches off my waist.

Hang in there, and keep posting in that journal so that others can point out any other sources.

All the best,

KC
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 08:15

Thanks KC. Yes I do eat cheese everyday, I love it but maybe it doesn't love me! That's what I was suspecting, maybe my fat intake is too high.

Also I know sweetners can be a problem, they've never hindered me before but like I said the weight loss seems to be different this time around so maybe they are causing me to stall. Don't know if I can give up coffee though and I can't drink it black.

I wish I was gaining muscle! I don't do any weight training right now just minimal cardio. I'm considering BFL.

Thanks for your suggestions, I can use all the help I can get right now. I'm feeling very discouraged.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 08:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi again!

Many people here find that they lose in fits and spurts. I typically lose a little bit about every month to 6 weeks, and then nothing. Mind you I am getting pretty close to goal.

I want to refer you to agonycat's response in the following thread:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...15&pagenumber=1

It seems that you are not entirely out of the low fat mindset. Fat is your friend, and It is doubtful that you can be eating too much. There is another post by DoreenT that I will find and post here that describes what happens to the fat you eat in a little more detail.

Cheers,

KC
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 09:09

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

You said: "I'm considering BFL."
That's a great idea. The BFL exercise plan is excellent. Or just get to the gym and hit the weights and cardiovascular workouts. Take it easy. Go slow.
I'm a really slow loser.
Don't obsess about how much faster you think you should be progressing. It took years of doing what I'd been doing to get where I was.
After months of training, things are starting to pay off. Forget the scale. Stick with your plan. Measure yourself every few weeks. Track what you eat in fitday and keep an exercise log of your routines. Use that data instead of the scale as a measure of progress.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 19:30

KC - Thanks for the thread, it was very interesting. I'm really over the low fat way of thinking but I feel there are good fats and bad fats. I eat alot of animal fat and I look at my calories from fat and it seems high to me. I am just so frustrated that the weight is not melting off like it did a year ago. My number seems to be right on with what agonycat said in that thread so I don't get it.

Doug - Yes, I think exercise would help me greatly. I just have to make the time and do it! Thanks,