Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 17:04

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
I don't care what plan, or lack of plan someone else follows but when people present incorrect or misleading information about plans (a classic example is the belief that Atkins is a high-protein diet), that can be misleading to people - some with serious health problems - who are looking for good info about the various plans on this forum.

Wyv

Amen! Gets a gal in trouble though!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 17:04

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
But sometimes, I see things on here that drive me crazy. So I'm going to vent them here in the War Zone.

SNARKY. I like it!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 21:32
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Wyvrn, with any given plan, there is the book to go to, and most LC plans have official web sites. People who want to research the hard data on low-carb eating plans should not be browsing Internet discussion forums for it, for heaven's sake.

You know, mulberry trees are the tool of evil robots. It's true! I read it on the Internet!

But they will find help and recipes here, of course. There is certainly some great information, including links to scientific studies.
And, there is nothing wrong with looking in this forum and seeing that other people managed to figure out what works for them, even if it meant diverging from a plan somewhat. Seeing the differences between people can make a huge difference in someone's motivation and their belief that maybe they can find a way to succeed.

Tweaks: They're What's For Dinner.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 07:51

Plan: My Plan!
Stats: 241/189/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Great post, ysabella. This forum is pretty good, though there are some "militant" comments here and there. To be frank, if I was an Atkins newbie, I probably wouldn't post here at all.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:00

BF:

I feel what I said has been completely twisted and to be so harsh in comments and what some seem to percieve as humor...well to be honest it hurts my feelings. Were are the mods when someone refers to another as militant and mock them for sharing a theory? Remember folks, a theory doesn't mean the statement is true! And then to make such a harsh statement about running newbies off? What about the new folks, and that is what some of the posters being ugly are, running off those who have learned the journey through experience and are only trying to share that knowledge with the new ones? I'd rather be militant any day than hurtful to another through meaness and name calling. I would love to see this thread just vanish...
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:03

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Remember, this thread is in the War Zone, so standards of discussion are more open than in the other forums, and it may be necessary to come in wearing thicker skin than usual!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:05

BF:

To be honest, I didn't notice that. Being in the war zone still shouldn't warrent mocking and name calling.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:14

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

I'd go on the ysabella diet! Its scathe-a-licious! Youre one funny broad!

We have to remember that its hard sometimes not to be a psycho evangelist, especailly after years of failure-and FINALLY HOT DAMN! IT WORKS! Im gonna tell the world! In addition, many eating choices (ie, frankenfoods, vegans, etc) can be very politically or health driven, so its important for some folks to evangelize. However, as with any religion, tolerance with others choices is what keeps the peace and understanding.

Share, certainly, but dont hate others for making different choices than you. Hey- and listen to them too-maybe youll learn something!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:17

BF:

Like I said, I didn't know this was the war zone and I don't appreciate the name calling...maybe I am not the one with the problem? I have always found those who call others names and get verbally ugly, as in here, are the ones with the problem.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:20

Plan: My Plan!
Stats: 241/189/145 Female 5'5"
BF:

MissScruff, I guess you are talking about my post? I just want to make it clear I wasn't addressing you (or any specific person, for that matter). I was generalizing about the comments that I've seen in the lowcarber.org forums. I have no idea why my post would upset you personally.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
To be honest, I didn't notice that. Being in the war zone still shouldn't warrent mocking and name calling.

Correct. If you see a post where a personal insult was directed at you, please use the report button as usual.

Some may take offense to Ysabella's post and others, if they assume she's talking about them, but that would be just an assumption.

There are militant LC'ers, zealot LC'ers, serious LC'ers, not so serious LC'ers, just as there are "whatever" LC'ers. That's not a personal insult, it's just an observation. We cannot censor those, never have, never will.

Wa'il
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 11:51

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
Share, certainly, but dont hate others for making different choices than you. Hey- and listen to them too-maybe youll learn something!

And while one is sharing, is it always necessary to bang out a manifesto? There are posters here with awesome results from whom I'd love to learn, if only they'd limit their comments to 5K words or less. (Yes I know - different strokes for different folks...)
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 11:57
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:

IMO opposing viewpoints on this forum are mostly expressed respectfully, except maybe to those offended by all controversy. But without it there wouldn't be nearly as much good information on this forum.

Wyv
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 12:39
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDough
And while one is sharing, is it always necessary to bang out a manifesto? There are posters here with awesome results from whom I'd love to learn, if only they'd limit their comments to 5K words or less. (Yes I know - different strokes for different folks...)

Some of those make my eyes go buggy and I just stop before the end. I have written a few longer posts in my time, but to post your thesis? I just don't have the attention span, I guess. Good observation... and this thread has some really humorous posts, BTW...further proving that LCing does not rot your brain...it makes you sharper!
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 13:39

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:

I usually don't write them, but I don't have any problem with long posts. It's where some of the best information comes from. Nyah Levi