Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/163/170 Male 75 in.
BF:13
Progress: 123%
Default Quickest possible way to lose fat?

My current diet/workout is this:
< 35 g of carbs a day,
1 hour of cardio a day,
Workout every other day
Protein powder after workout
mon-fri 19g of Ephedrine a day.

What else could increase fat loss to this?

maybe adding caffeine/aspirin with the ephedrine?

Basically i want the quickest fatloss possible in a short period of time. Will creatine benefit me in any way for fatloss?

**EDIT**
I should also mention, i have asthma.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 14:55

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default A few questions

Hey there demi!

Wow, I hear ya. Sometimes it feels like it takes SSSOOOOO long to lose!

I was wondering, though, how long have you been doing your routine?
What do your weight training sessions look like?
At what intensity do you do cardio?
How many calories are you eating a day?
What is your protein/fat/carb ratio?
What is your current body fat percentage?
How long do you expect it will take you to get to goal.

Let us know!
Peace,
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 16:43

I was wondering, though, how long have you been doing your routine?

About 3 weeks now.

What do your weight training sessions look like?

I just started weight lifting, but i work upper body twice a week and lower once( since riding my bike gives enough workout to lower, i figured it would need less weight training)

At what intensity do you do cardio?

Moderate intensity, basically i get my cardio from riding my bike to/from school and to/from the gym. Both are about 2 miles away, so 8 miles a day riding, if its a workout day( 1 hour). If not, then 4 miles a day, so 30mins.

How many calories are you eating a day?

I don't count calories, just carbs. Some days i even go below 20 carbs.

What is your protein/fat/carb ratio?

hmm i'd say 60p/35f/5c, thought not 100% sure.

What is your current body fat percentage?

Actually i need to get a body fat caliper, so i don't know but i think its around 18-24%

How long do you expect it will take you to get to goal.

Depends how hard i work on it, but i expect to probably be there in a month or 2. But that doens't really matter, i will stick to it until i'm there regardless of how long it has been.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 17:05

Default A few thoughts...

It's a good idea to just do a tape measure bf% to get an idea of where you are. here is the online calculator that I use. There are many, but this one seems to fall right in the middle of the road. Dosen't really matter, but having a starting point and using the same measure will show trend.

Sorry to ask, but are you male or female?

Calories matter in so much as you need to get enough. Try plugging in a few days at www.fitday.com and see what you get.

What is your goal?

Let's just say that you are at 25% body fat. Let's say you want to get to 20% bf. that's only a 5% difference, and your body is not going to really want to lose that last 5%. Losing 2% in four weeks is good, I lost 5% in 12 weeks, doing bfl.
Do you want to SUSTAIN your loss? I know it sounds like a no brainer question, but your inquiry regarding efa's and creatine makes me want to ask.
A few thoughts on guidelines:
IMHO, you need 10-12 times your body weight in calories. This is a highly debated fact, but one that seems to work well with MOST. You should try to get 1gram of protein for each pound or KG of body weight, whichever you feel most comfortable with. 35 grams of carb or less, but eat them before, during or directly after your workouts combined with a very lean protein.
Try to intervel train on your bike go as fast as you can for one min. then less and less for the following 3 min. until after 5 min you go as fast as you can again.
Be careful of overtraining your upperbody if you are doing the whole thing in one day, and then again in the same week.

It's been proven that having more muscle increases your metobolic rate. Working with weights more will increase muscle mass.
I am currently doing the t-dawg with NO cardio and lost 1.6% fat in 4 weeks, weights only, 4 days a week, and one free eating day a week.
Hope this helps,
Brenda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 17:58

I'm male .
Ok i put a basic day for me into www.fitday.com here is about what im at:
1470 cals
49% fat, 41% protein, 9% carbs

That may be low cals, but doesn't that increase weight loss the less cals?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 18:17

Pandora's box with that question!

In the most simple terms, No, for long term weight loss, lowering calories below 1800 (for you ) calories a day will not promote fat loss.

The elements that are involved are so many and can get so complicated. You have Basel metabolic rate, hormones, leptin, where your calories are from, and so on. Have a look around the forum and see what strikes your fancy in regards to where to start.

If you want some serious weightlifting/nutrition, check out CKD 101. I'm not recommending it, but if you do accept the challenge, you are braver than I (so far )
Post often with your questions or thoughts. There are so many great minds working this forum that you are bound to gain some very useful knowledge!
Peace,
Brenda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%

Uh.... 19g of ephederine?
I used to take ephederine... And I was taking 25mg pills, only 2-3 a day. So it'd take 40 of those a day just to hit 1g. Taking 6 pills (150mg) was like snorting coke. I once tried 8 and I couldnt stop moving for about 4 hours.
If you're taking 19g, you'll be dead in a week man.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 12:49

Plan: yo-yo
Stats: 230/190/175 Male 5'10"
BF:no clue
Progress: 73%
Default Speed

The fastest way to lose fat is liposuction.

Here, we are focussed on finding a HEALTHY way of eating. That we lose unnecessary fat along the way is both an indication that we are eating healthily, and that this way of eating is good for us.

Alas, your question is similar to asking, "What is the fastest way to build muscles." The answer is steroids. But of course, steroids leads to impotence, diminished mental capabilities, mood swings, acne, etc. The only way to build muscles is to do it gradually and slowly, in a balanced lifestyle, just as every LC way of eating is incorporated within a balanced life style.

My best suggestion is that you read a few books on the subject.

Speed (in all senses) is not the issue here. Good health is.

Best wishes,
Mark
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:23

Plan: Organic
Stats: 167/1??/120 Female 69 inches
BF:29w/26w/24w
Exclamation

Hi. I just wanted to warn you that when ephedrine is used with caffeine it can be fatal. not worth it!

Also, you are doing very good just enjoy the experience. Healthy eating and exercise are life long commitments.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:42
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Brenda - I am curious, why did you cut out the cardio? I currently do 3 days of each. I understand the increased weights, why not 2 days of cardio?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 19:02

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 100/88/80
BF:
Progress: 62%

Demi-God, from my semi limited experience, I think you have to much protein and not enough fat in your diet. it should be about 75% fat 20 % protein and 5% carbs.
That’s if you’re on Atkins (which it says in your info)
Another thing I could suggest is running instead of biking, running is so much more intense, I find it a lot more rewarding that biking. That’s just me though

Another thing, what vitamins and minerals are you taking? You could try taking some that have a thermogenic effect on your body, such as L-carnitine or green tea.

Another thing that has been talked about a little bit on this forum, is drinking 2 large glasses of water before you go to sleep. Some people noticed increased weight loss doing this. Especially as some people never drink any water after dinnertime.

Your body looses its weight when your asleep I think, so packing it with water might help it out. Makes sense I suppose.

Also… the longer it takes you to loose your weight, the longer it will stay off J

I’ve seen it time and time again with friends and family, those who slowly loose weight over a year or two, due to life style change, are the ones who keep it off. Those who loose 20 pounds in a few weeks are the ones who have it back again a few months later.

-jake
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 16:56

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%
Thumbs down ASPRIN

Some people with asthma will get an attack after taking asprin - Saliciytes.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 10:14
Registered Member

Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%

[
Another thing that has been talked about a little bit on this forum, is drinking 2 large glasses of water before you go to sleep. Some people noticed increased weight loss doing this. Especially as some people never drink any water after dinnertime.

Your body looses its weight when your asleep I think, so packing it with water might help it out. Makes sense I suppose.

I have to pee just thinking about 2 large glasses of water before bedtime.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%

Ephederine + Caffeine is not fatal. Sorry, if that were teh case, ECA stacks would be known as death stacks. As they are a combination of Ephederine, Caffeine and Asprin (to create thermalgenesis).
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 13:42

Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestions everyone , it is appreciated

lol Psilocybin obviously I meant 19ml heh.

Fortunetly aspirin doesn't effect my asthma. I have been taking ECA stacks for a few weeks now ( not on weekends) and it sure does help me get energy in the morning when I ride my bike.