Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would I Make A Free Call for Future Access to Liquid Splenda?
Yes, Right Away! 413 79.27%
As Soon As I Can... 67 12.86%
Maybe Next Week... 27 5.18%
Absolutely Not! 14 2.69%
Voters: 521. You may not vote on this poll

#121   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Splenda corporation (owners of licensing) leans on the FDA (makers of rules) who in turn leans on the importers...

evil, I tell ya, evil
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 02:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/169/165 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Liquid splenda? mentioned at lowcarbluxury

The use of liquid splenda was mentioned several times by whomever runs the lowcarbluxury site in various product reviews .. is it available now? where can i get it?

thanks
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 03:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: Liquid Splenda and Tablet form

Jamori, if you take a peak under the products review section at Low Carb luxury you will find a listing of unavailable products:

Splenda - Liquid and Tablet Form
REASON/STATUS:
Import Issues.

McNeil, patent/license holder in the U.S. for sucralose stopped the import of foreign (without fillers) variations of Splenda brand sweetener.

Also take a few minutes to read through this thread...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=22256

Bonnie
  #124   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 21:23
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Question Doesn't this look like liquid splenda?

I was cruising www.synergydiet.com and I saw this. Doesn't it look like liquid splenda???

However, you click on it and it takes you to the packets of splenda. Interesting.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 00:03

Plan: modified Atkins/Lean for Life
Stats: 257/235/130
BF:
Progress: 17%

Island Girl,
I have a question. Can you purchase liquid Splendra in Canada anymore. My parents are going to Michigan and if you can I plan to send them across the border to purchase.
Can you recommend a few stores they would be able to find it in.
TIA
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:32
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you purchase liquid Splendra in Canada anymore.

Nope. Never could, actually. It was only sold for a brief time by a number of US-based online retailers that got it from distributors that imported it from South America.

You're thinking of the granular Splenda, no doubt, that was available and legal in Canada for 10 years before it was 'legalized' in the States. Or maybe you're thinking of the famous Canadian version of the liquid Sugar Twin, that is cyclamates-based instead of saccharin-based? Or maybe our Brown Sugar Twin (also cyclamates)? If so, any large grocery store or pharmacy usually carries the sweeteners.
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 01:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default HerbalSelect Stevia Liquid Extract

Quote:
Roe: Can you purchase liquid Splendra in Canada anymore.

Quote:
Nope. Never could, actually

When I was in Vancouver a couple of months ago, I saw Stevia in a lot of shops and most of the supermarkets I popped into.

I bought a large bottle of Herbal Select Stevia Liquid Extract. On the bottle it says liquid leaf extract in a base of vegetable glycerine and water..... contains no sugar, wheat yeast, dairy products, barley, corn, eggs, soy, starch ....

Before I went to Canada, I did research into Stevia and Splenda and decided to go for Stevia - forget the details of my reasoning to be honest. It tastes very sweet. I have not used much of it so far. I am a little wary of it because of its ban (or at least anti-feeling) in the UK Health Food Stores. Seems safe enough but I am not a Product person.

Take care,
  #128   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 07:17

Plan: modified Atkins/Lean for Life
Stats: 257/235/130
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thank you but Stevia has a bad after taste to me I would rather have dirt . Give me the un-natural man made stuff.
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: Adaptive
Stats: 220/220/155
BF:N/A
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Wish List

I called splenda, mentioned my desire to have liquid form, and the operator made like that was silly. She said she would put it on a 'wish list'.
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 15:57

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally posted by Ka3n
Here's the US number: 1-800-777-5363

Open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Eastern time.
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 16:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Roe
Thank you but Stevia has a bad after taste to me I would rather have dirt . Give me the un-natural man made stuff.

Me, too! Stevia sucks.
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:17

BF:

OK. I made my call! Got a fairly good reception. Lady seemed interested and very supportive, and promised to relay my request to the suits.

But.....somehow I think there's not a huge interest in this thread.

Where's the committment?

Where's the conviction that the mighty and righteous wrath of The Consumer can be brought to bear on this issue?

Where's all the other LCers on this board rising up to demand a zero-carb sweetener?

Hmmm??? Can't you envision a life of no carbs in sweets? Doesn't that make your taste buds tingle? Your mouth simply salivate? Call to you to come out of your cravings into the sunlight of ZERO CARBS? Doesn't it?

C'mon, folks, make that call. You know that enough public interest will make them bring this product to market! You don't have to put a bumper sticker on your car, attend any public input meetings, write a letter, or boycott anything...ya just gotta make that FREE call.

Splenda Canada 'hotline' at 1-800-561-0070

Splenda US 'hotline' at 1-800-777-5363

Go get 'em, Tigers!!!

Last edited by skyspinner : Mon, Sep-09-02 at 12:25.
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 18:34
Registered Member

SkySpinner, your PMail box is full so I couldn't reply to your message.... so here's my reply!

Quote:
... you think it could help gather even more support and discussion to make it sticky, or post other msgs pointing to your poll? I'll do anything to help, just let me know how.

Well, actually, SkySpinner, this thread has been Sticky since day 1 (and you might have noticed the date on the first post so that's quite a while).

You might consider actually making a written request thru the Customer Service where-ever and whenever you buy sweeteners, especially Splenda in any form; it's that kind of market pressure that will work, the actual bulk & commercial buyers making much noise, in the longer run. Email Splenda and ask for updates at regular intervals; email your friends; etc.

Meanwhile, consider letting Splenda know that SOME of us have found a reasonably practical alternative, a combination of sweeteners available in liquid or tablet form makes a nice blend that's ALMOST as good as the Splenda and has the zero carbs we demand... an example would be a mix of liquid saccharin and some dissolved Stevia. It goes a lot further when there's a synergistic blend so you can use less for the same sweetness and less aftertaste.... or mix up Ace-K (Sunette) and liquid saccharin (Superose), thin with filtered water, for half the carbs and double the sweetness. Maybe competition will get their attention?
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 07:46

BF:

Huh...that's odd about my PM box being full...I went to look, and had only 3 in my Inbox. Surely the limit is >3! Anyway, I deleted those, so should work better now.

Thanks for the suggestions on how I can personally affect the manufacturer and the retail outlets. I can do that each time I shop...those little request cards are right out there at the checkout.

How about some good ideas on how to affect this group to moblize and put some heavy pressure on? I did see that this thread has been going on for quite a while, and I am disappointed that more activity hasn't seemed to occur.

Any ideas?

And I shall try the mixtures you suggested...I detest sacharin (see, I can't even SPELL it!), but maybe I'll dink around w/ some of the others. I found a sample size of liquid stevia for around three bucks, so I have that...maybe I can find small "travel size" bottles of some of the other sweeteners, and I'll give it a shot. Lord knows, I need to find something, 'cause I don't seem prepared to give up sweets in this lifetime. And powdered Splenda is just too costly in carbs.

Thanks!
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 15:44
Registered Member

Just a quick tip, SkySpinner. Your PM box is full probably because you haven't cleaned out your SENT folder lately (everything you ever sent, copy of)... Check the other folders in there. I do believe there's several sticky threads about dealing with full PMailboxes in the Comments Box & Technical Forum right off the main Forum webpage.

As for motivational aspects here? Consider thinking on products that you KNOW don't have Splenda (check Splenda's website for a list of those that do) but you sure would like to have with Splenda in and are willing to buy, then

(a) post a NEW thread here in the Products Forum for discussion on those products, or to collect ideas or run a poll of your own on a product by product basis?
Probably a SUBJECT line like Diet Coke with Splenda, want to help get it? would generate some interest...

(b) contact the manufacturer of said products (and your stores' customer service, too) and/or hunt down the specific contact information (website, email, phone numbers - especially tollfree) and post it in the new product discussion thread with a SUBJECT LINE of manufacturer-name & product-name- contact info, for example...

I suggest these things because I think that ANY market pressure on Splenda (even in products instead of just the "tabletop liquid" formulation) and especially if it's known to come from a specific group, like us LOW CARBERS here at THIS website gives us market power and might make them pay more attention.

Hope this helps!