Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/197/150
BF:32%/30%/23%
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Overeating on Induction Is this normal?

Just re-starting Induction (Atkins) and admittedly I am in the 7 days before TOM. I am very concerned that I am overeating.
Having seen how people dont feel very hungry on the plan, I am concerned because my appetite is extreme under normal circumstances and right now its very bad.

I find it easy to eat 12 x body weight in calories (200lb)

I really want some reassurance from someone that things will settle down.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Nicky
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 11:56

Stats: 175/169/145
BF:
Wink overeating

I found that I pigged out on 'legal' goodies during induction. It was just so wonderful to be able to eat all those high fat foods after so many years of low fat. Cheeses, cream and salami
I didn't make any attempt to restrict my intake. I found that ir regulated itself and now I only watch the proportions are right. I'm not gaining or losing weight and am investigating the reasons with my doc.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 292/263/165
BF:
Progress: 23%

Yeah, I did that too. On my first week of induction I was so afraid that I was going to get hungry and want more carbs so I ate an abundance of meat but, eventually I realized that the cravings really were gone and I didn't eat as much. Dr. Atkins says in his book if you are hungry you should eat, make it something safe like some kind of meat, fish or chicken, you could even try drinking more water. It is ok to eat all the meat that you want, if your not losing don't get discouraged, as you said your TOM is coming up and that could be why. Remember, slow and steady wins the race! I hope that helps!
Shelly
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 13:02
Registered Member

Stats: 209/197/150
BF:32%/30%/23%
Talking Thanks!

Thanks both of you for your replies

Very quick and very reassuring!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 14:20

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Starving - Eat more

Hi Dibble

Your cravings are quite normal. Eat when you want to, but make sure it is legal. Also you probably have a tendancy to eat more pre TOM anyway. Over a period of time your body will adjust and you will feel less hungry. At the start it is not important how many extra calories you eat, just get the carbs ok. Later on, when your weight loss slows then you can look more carefully at the calorie side of things. On this way of life, its eat fat to get thin!

Every success.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 16:19

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%

Just a word of caution to all you induction people

Have you had your blood work done yet ? This WOE may not limit your fat intake but beware that it can cause a rise in your cholesterol readings .

This is exactly what happened to me ,from normal I developed a raised cholesterol . I too pigged out on fat and eggs and bacon and sausage and cheese .

Now ,

I eat all of that kind of food sensibly . I have retested my cholesterol today after 1 month and hope for a reduction . I have also been taking some over the counter medication to reduce cholesterol .

Rob
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 14:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133/126/112
BF:
Progress: 33%
Unhappy Cholestrol

Hi I am new to this forum thing, I started the Atkin diet three weeks ago I love it, I have never been hungry. But like Rob I am very concerned about cholestrol as I never ate butter or full cream milk and cheeses until now. Maybe you could tell me what over the counter medicine you bought Rob. Another question for anyone who can tell me I started the OWL this week and I have to up my carbs does this mean daily or weekly I am confused. UKrose
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 14:24

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Rosemary

If you are doing OWL then you up the carbs on a weekly basis until you see no more weight loss, then you go back 5 carbs and maintain at that level until you are ready for the next stage.

I would not worry about getting extra tablets for cholesterol. Whilst I am having mine checked out in a couple of weeks as it was not as low as I expected it to be, the cholesterol you eat is not the problem. It is surprising, but the bad cholesterol, LDL, is manufacuted by your body and occurs when there is excess carbohydrates and insulin present. Something that is not around anymore. Have a look at the BUPA site re cholesterol. I was amazed to see that this agrees with what is written in low carb books about cholesterol. I know it seems strange to eat full fat products when the wisdom has been against this, but in some things I think the tide is beginning to turn. Too much fat, particularly saturated fat, may not be that healthy, but it is better than the carbs at this time and much of what you are eating you are burning off as energy.

When I saw where you lived it reminded me of a weeks coach holiday that I spent there around 4 years ago. A very beautiful part of the country, but for someone brought up in London the scenary is a bit to vast. I'd like to move the hills closer together, a bit like the Lake District. Mind you, when I was in the east Lakes two weeks ago I thought that some of the scenary there reminded me of the Scottish Highlands.

Good to have you on board.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 05:09

Rosemary,

this is my advice to you , and I never had cholesterol problems until I started eating this way !!!!!!

however I loved it so much that I couldnt go back to eating low fat and high carb . Do not listen to people who tell you that the food you eat will not influence your cholesterol , and I am living proof that that is not true along with many others here , just do a search and you will find .

I was eating piles of eggs and cream and bacon and butter and my cholesterol went up , not dangerously but it was eleveted and I was very pleased to have found it out sooner rather than later . I can show you my blood results if you want to bored by them so take my word for it .

I suppose that not everyone will react to those foods in the same way .

I spoke to a number of very well educated people here on the subject and I discovered that Niacin ( Vitamin B3 ) and Folic acid is the OTC treatment of choice . If you are interested I can give you more information .
Firstly have your fasting lipids done at the GP and then take action if necessary . I suggest that you retest every 3 to 6 months .

And dont listen to anyone who tells you otherwise , for your own health and safety . Especially if you have a family history .

On the question of upping the carbs , do it at your own rate . You wont fail the test if you do it slower ,and yes 5 g carbs is a convenient amount .

Rob

Last edited by Rob : Sat, Sep-07-02 at 05:15.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 05:37

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

I suppose that not everyone will react to those foods in the same way .

Rob

No supposing to this. It is a fact. Not everyone reacts the same way everyone else does. Just because one person has a bad reaction doesn't mean the next 100 people will. Your system is well....your system, and it will react how it wants to.

My levels went down along with my blood pressure. If you are concerned about your cholesterol, then seek out your medical professional and have it checked. That goes for your blood pressure as well.

Seek medical advice on drugs or supplements on lowering blood cholesterol, as some people do have allergic reactions to supplements.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 12:38

Quote:
My levels went down along with my blood pressure. If you are concerned about your cholesterol, then seek out your medical professional and have it checked. That goes for your blood pressure as well.

Quote:
Seek medical advice on drugs or supplements on lowering blood cholesterol, as some people do have allergic reactions to supplements

for your information,

my cholesterol has been checked twice and has dropped significantly since altering my intake of eggs ,cheese,cream and bacon and my blood pressure has plummetted from 150/98 to 110/70 during the past 4 months of low carbing .This will happen on any weight reduction program.

I have been taking No Flush Niacin for the past month and have had NO adverse reaction

It is important for people to know that they could develop hypercholesterolaemia , especially if they have a family history
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

You're both right, so no need to get testy.

It's documented in Atkins' books, for example, that it is quite normal for cholesteral levels (especially the impressive but not terribly meaningful total cholesteral level) to rise in the initial stages of a low carb lifestyle, as your systems adjust to the considerable changes in energy sources and balances. It is also normal (for the majority or 'vast percentage') for them to fall again, on a classic bell curve over a period of 3 months or thereabouts... it will vary per the individual. There are some with "resistant hypercholesteremia" and yes, this does tend to run in families. It IS a small percentage, though, and it isn't usually determinable without doubt until a period of time (such as 3 to 6 months) has passed, with reasonably strict adherence to NOT mixing carbohydrates and fats.

It is sensible (and documented/recommended in the Atkins' books, again) to have your cholesterals tested, to determine your ratios (HDL, and Triglycerides and LDL especially) and to see a physician before starting any weight loss plan or massive change in dietary regime or lifestyle. This is NOT unusual, ask any dietician.

There is a great deal of reliable information on the subject of resistant hypercholesteremia at the GO-Diet http://www.go-diet.com website (Dr. Goldberg: physican, low carber & resistant hypercholesteremic) and a great deal of information about supplements for treating hypercholesteremia (if needed or if concerned) at the Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine http://www.atkinscenter.org

Enjoy the exploration and the information, and stay destressed