Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 11:33

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Allergies & Asthma during Carb-Up?

Prior to starting low carb earlier this year, I had pretty bad allergies (pollen, dust and pet) and moderate asthma. While on low carb, most of these problems went away. I even told my doc recently that I thought LC might be responsible for supressing symptoms of allergy and asthma. He was doubtful, though.

Given a recent stall and increasingly intense excercise, I decided to switch to a CKD program. On the first carb-up, all my symptoms reappeared. Other than that the whole process went well and the transition back to LC was smooth...I was back down to previous weight early the followingweek. I thought maybe the reappearance of allergy and asthma symptoms was just a fluke...but the allergy attacks were enough for me to wait an extra week before doing another cycle. Fortunately they went away when I went back t LC.

Well, after 2 weeks I started another cycle this week and within 12 hours of starting the carb-up, the allergies and asthma reappeared. I have no doubt now that for me, carbs are linked to allergies and asthma.

Anyone else had this experience?

Brian
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 11:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Allergies & Asthma during Carb-Up?

Quote:
Originally posted by bdeeley
Anyone else had this experience?

Yeppers. I don't have allergies, myself, but I live with someone who does, or rather did, pre-LC. When he over indulges in carbs or when we are away on holiday and he over indulges in cervesas they come back.

I'd be curious to find out, Brian, do all carbs cause this reaction for you or could it be just specific ones? Have you tried a grain free carb up just for fun?

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 17:23

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks for chiming in, Nat...when I mentioned this to friends and family after my first carb-up, everyone said "oh it's not the carbs, you must have a wheat intolerance/allergy"...I really didn't think so, but decided rule it out. So this time on carb-up it was mostly potatoes and sugar...but the allergies/asthma returned, so I think its not a specific food allergy.

I'm not really positing that the carbs themselves are *causing* the allergies/asthma. But more likely, the carbs and/or their impact on blood sugar/insulin is impairing my body's ability to fight them off.

Of course, what is also interesting is the reaction people have when I dare to suggest that the eating low carb has not only allowed me to gain control of my weight, but has also allowed me to control my allergies.

If this turns out to be as true in others as it is in me, this will really freak people out...imagine a rush of thin people with allergies/asthma going on LC!

It will be truly interesting to get more data points...

Brian
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 17:37

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Hi, Brian.

I've not officially started CKD, but am considering beginning that to go with my BFL workouts starting either tomorrow or Monday. However, I have done my first "official" free day per BFL today, and I did indulge in ice-cream, and it wasn't but about 20-30min before I started the coughing, clearing my throat, and (sorry, it's gross) mucus in my throat, etc. I've not had that going on since I used to eat ice-cream on regular basis! So I think you may be onto something.

Maybe you can find out WHAT is causing the problems? I'm no expert, but I've found that certain foods cause reactions and some don't (carb-wise). Maybe you can omit suspect items each week and see if you have a carb-up day free of allergy symtpoms? Like omitting stuff like wheat, or maybe dairy, also foods with molds, etc. I know candida sufferers (I tend to get candida flair-ups if I'm not careful) have all kinds of allergy problems when their candida flairs up. And those of us with allergies to molds tend to have candida problems. Not that you have any candida problems, I was just thinking that maybe the foods that set it off.... fermented items, "moldy" items like cheese and dairy, and even sugar---a MAJOR allergy catalyst----can do it.

Sounds miserable, Brian. I sure hope you feel better.

.....MAN, have I got a MAJOR headache and indigestion today!!!! Carb up days are hard on me, too.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 18:01

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

A friend of mine has the same problem. Shes not a dieter or LC'er or anything close. She had terrible terrible terrible allergies day in day out.....and a recurring yeast infection. So she went to the docs, you know "That" one haha, and he told her sugar was the culprit of her yeasty problems. So she cut out sugars, and what do you know, no more allergies. She had a candy bar the other day and the allergies came back. So I think its pretty obvious, your yeast infections are caused by sugar! j/k but seriously, sugar brought on her allergies
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 17:56
Registered Member

Plan: B/O & ULTIMATE DIET
Stats: 205/185/180
BF:10%
Progress: 80%
Lightbulb

Hey guys, Its definitely Got something to do with carbs. Allergies that is. I get allergies like you read about if I,m not eating a low careb diet. I thougt I was the only one. Very, Very Interesting.
When I'm on low carbs I can drop the Claritin.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 19:29

Plan: CKD
Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

I used to always wake up with a really dry sore throat on a regular low-fat diet. A couple of times a week I would also wake up with really bad sinus congestion.

Now that never happens to me, excpet for my carb up. when I carb load I get a sore throat and if i go too hard on the carbs my sinuses come back.

Also I used to have to drink non-stop on low-fat diets, like almost a litre every hour, but now I'm rarely thirsty!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 14:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/163/170 Male 75 in.
BF:13
Progress: 123%

I have ashtma and have been on LC diet for about 3 weeks. I noticed that I have WAY less trouble with it now then i did while i was eating poorly( before lc diet).

I haven't tried the CKD diet yet, but i'm probably going to in the next few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.